Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Is a 2JZ-GTE swap truly worth it? Your thoughts are appreciated.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-10, 09:37 PM
Agent0024
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
The way I do it is to use the GE VVTi ECU that came stock with the GS. Tune it so there is no CEL and so it will play nice with the boost. I have zero CEL and I pass state inspection/emissions testing. The car runs and drives like stock.
Hi Jeff, so its basically what the IS300 guys are doing then. Are you running the AEM EMS to tune the stock GE ECU? Thank you for answering my questions.

Edit: I'm pretty much stuck with the stock GS300 tranny (A650E) as well if I use the GE ECU correct?

Last edited by Agent0024; 12-17-10 at 12:08 PM.
Old 12-17-10, 08:22 AM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

And does the EMS Series 2 make it any easier to work with a 2gs compared to the original?

Old 12-17-10, 08:48 AM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

The Series 2 EMS for the MKIV Supra allows you to control every aspect of your 2JZ. From VVTi to rev limit, timing, bigger injectors, boost control, nitrous injection, individual cylinder fuel and timing trims and for you drag racers there's even anti-lag! Get total control for your Supra with the Series 2 from our new tuning software - AEM Tuner.

Windows™ compatible software (XP, Vista, Windows7) makes the task of copying, viewing and manipulating data as simple as a click of the mouse. Our new AEMTUNER software is infinitely adjustable software and allows tuners to program virtually any combination of engine control, power adders and auxiliary devices, and accurately delivers proper amounts of fuel and correct ignition timing for any boost level or operating condition.

-----

But it only lists it for the 92-97 GS/SC and 93-98 Supra..

So it states that it controls the VVTI, but the only PNP models they list are for all Non-VVTI engine, as the SC/GS didn't become VVTI til 98, and the US supra never had it. So I guess probally no luck in getting one that would be PNP for a 2nd gen GS or IS then..
Old 12-17-10, 08:07 PM
CDriver
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK so I have a 02 Grey on black sport design, I also have an Aristo vvti gte with trans, wire harness and ecu.

Questions:

1. I read on hear 02 up have a different wire harness and it will be a lot tougher to wire, is this true?

2. Will the trans bolt up to the stock drive shaft?

3. How much boost can the stock turbo's hold?

4. Do I have to get a walbro 255?

5. What diffs are you guys running?

6. Do I just unbolt the AC compressor from the motor in the car and than bolt to the GTE?

7. Does the Aristo vvti gte have cruise control I can hook up?

I'm going to do the swap myself. I've owned two MKIV Supra's in the past had to rebuild one motor and I'm building a 97 240sx LS1 right now. Just trying to find some things out early, as to not get caught off guard.

Thanks in advance
Chris

PS: I did search, not much info on this swap or my search skills suck.
Old 12-17-10, 09:44 PM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CDriver
OK so I have a 02 Grey on black sport design, I also have an Aristo vvti gte with trans, wire harness and ecu.

Questions:

1. I read on hear 02 up have a different wire harness and it will be a lot tougher to wire, is this true?

6. Do I just unbolt the AC compressor from the motor in the car and than bolt to the GTE?

I'm going to do the swap myself. I've owned two MKIV Supra's in the past had to rebuild one motor and I'm building a 97 240sx LS1 right now. Just trying to find some things out early, as to not get caught off guard.

Thanks in advance
Chris

I'm trying to read up on this kinda info too, as i plan on GTE swapping a 02 Sport Design as well..
Old 12-18-10, 08:28 AM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

From the information I have searched here in the past, this is my recollection. Verify with others before spending any money based on my answers though.

Questions:

YES

USE PART ARISTO AND PART GS TOGETHER

DEPENDING ON TURBO CONDITION, BUT SAME AS WHATEVER YOUR MKIV'S WOULD HOLD

NOT ON STOCK BOOST

SUPRA 3.76 LSD

I THINK SO

I THINK SO, I THINK YOU ONLY LOOSE TRACTION CONTROL.

Thanks in advance
Chris

Old 12-18-10, 01:43 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

99GS3 most of that is right but I just want to make a few corrections/additions.

1. The wiring will have to be significantly changed. 2 of the ECU connector plugs and 4-5 of the body harness connectors need to be cut off and resoldered/swapped for the 02+ connectors. Total of around 50-70 wires(estimate).

3. The JDM Aristo VVTi GTE motor has smaller turbos than the USDM supras. They also have ceramic wheels in the turbos while the USDM ones have steel. The JDM turbos spool faster, but can't run as must hp or boost.

5. You can run stock diff if you want.

6. The GTE should have the same compressor. You can use either the stock one or the GTE.

7. Yes has cruise and traction. If you wire everything up correctly(as in repinning all of the wires I mentioned #1) then you should still retain those functions.
Old 12-19-10, 04:30 PM
CDriver
Driver School Candidate

****, I need an 01 rhan. Anyone want to buy an 02 Sport Design with coils and wheels?
Old 12-19-10, 04:37 PM
CDriver
Driver School Candidate

Or, who wants to buy an Aristo vvti gte with trans and wire harness? Cheap.
Old 12-19-10, 04:43 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Or, who wants to buy an Aristo vvti gte with trans and wire harness? Cheap.
Uh, I'm in VA, and yes I do.
Old 12-20-10, 07:44 AM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

doing my GTE swap today
Old 12-20-10, 07:49 AM
CHASER4LIF
Driver

Originally Posted by Bippu147
doing my GTE swap today
Finally!!! can i get ur jzs147!!!! i need it badly...
Old 12-20-10, 07:54 AM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bippu147
doing my GTE swap today
Post up a thread on it.. Love to see some pics.
Old 12-20-10, 08:58 AM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

it'll be in my build thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-bippu147.html
Old 12-21-10, 10:27 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

so much mis info here about ge vs gte debate

wow is all i can say ..

guys, the ge is as stout as a gte anyday of the week.. it all comes down to proper supporting mods for either

look at my sig , and the parts purchased most second hand .. my ge is still the original block from 97 120k on the clock and makes a solid 592 rwhp at ONLY 19psi straight pump gas on ONLY a t67dbb turbo

let me see any dyno sheets of a gte on similar cams , same sized turbo make that power without fuss..

standalone is req for either setup to run effi and safely , dont bring me the vps/safc or greddy edamage garbage talk .. i have personally seen many gte's go bye bye down here in boost land and my home built na-t still has perfect 180psi compression across the board after 3.5 yrs of heavy boosting

as omar has illustrated several times , higher compression is the way to go with a good tuner , off boost is sweeter and it takes alot less boost which equates to alot less engine wear to make good power.. ge blocks are cheap , slap on a tt hg arp bolts and you have 700ish rwhp capable setup..

everything between the 2 blocks are identical except pistons ... oil squirters where installed by toyota to help reduce piston wear to ward off warranty claims etc etc ...actually most high hp supra guys are now using ge blocks to build to eliminate the squirters for in high rpm and high hp you want oil circulating , not diverting to spray hot oil on a hot piston

i do my own work from soup to nuts , i have many times over teared into both blocks

for someone who wants a solid platform keeping things stock i would recc gte swap..again only looking in the 350 ish rwhp range

if you are looking for more change out the rods in your ge motor , replace to some acl bearings , keep stock pistons add arp bolts and tt hg and tune via aem or haltech and 500-700 is all dependant on turbo selection and cams

Last edited by lexforlife; 12-21-10 at 10:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Is a 2JZ-GTE swap truly worth it? Your thoughts are appreciated.