Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

has anyone swapped the stock throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-10, 03:34 PM
tom steele
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default has anyone swapped the stock throttle body

i was wandering if anyone has swapped the stock throttle body with a aftermarket one to get rid of the motor controlled throttle? and if so what kind did you use did you like it or was it a waste of time? just wandering since i know there problems with these throttle bodies.
Old 09-03-10, 10:49 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

unless you're ok with not having traction control, your ecu will be pissed
Old 09-04-10, 09:33 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Tom, I have wanted better throttle control as well. I disasembled a TB and the cable arm does not connect directly to the throttle blade. There is a roundish metal plate with a tab the will catch the thottle shaft at about 3/4 throttle. My thought was to make a nylon part that would basically directly connet the cable arm/shaft with the throttle shaft. Either that or weld a tab in the correct position to connect immediately. This would make it possible to apply force to the shaft. Unsure what the gearing and throttle motor control would do if this were the case. Worth an experiment. Unfortunately lost the TB in a move a few years back.
Old 09-05-10, 10:37 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

It's actually more than that. The automatic transmission won't work if you don't have the correct throttle body on the engine.

jbrady, a bunch of the guys over on the My.IS forums have done what you're talking about. They clock the APS(accel pedal sensor) housing so that little tab is forced to push on the throttle manually. It causes issues because the throttle motor wants to do certain things sometimes and it will fight your foot on the throttle. Yes it makes the engine response better, but it could also cause the throttle control motor to burn out prematurely.
Old 09-06-10, 09:20 AM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
It's actually more than that. The automatic transmission won't work if you don't have the correct throttle body on the engine.

jbrady, a bunch of the guys over on the My.IS forums have done what you're talking about. They clock the APS(accel pedal sensor) housing so that little tab is forced to push on the throttle manually. It causes issues because the throttle motor wants to do certain things sometimes and it will fight your foot on the throttle. Yes it makes the engine response better, but it could also cause the throttle control motor to burn out prematurely.
So if you move to a q45 or accufab TB along with a 5/6 speed conversion, then there would be no ecu issues? I've seen where you would lose the cruise control which is no big deal, but is the second posting above correct that you would also lose the Traction Control?
Old 09-06-10, 10:27 PM
tom steele
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jbrady
Tom, I have wanted better throttle control as well. I disasembled a TB and the cable arm does not connect directly to the throttle blade. There is a roundish metal plate with a tab the will catch the thottle shaft at about 3/4 throttle. My thought was to make a nylon part that would basically directly connet the cable arm/shaft with the throttle shaft. Either that or weld a tab in the correct position to connect immediately. This would make it possible to apply force to the shaft. Unsure what the gearing and throttle motor control would do if this were the case. Worth an experiment. Unfortunately lost the TB in a move a few years back.
i looked at the same thing my thought though was to make a new l bracket with the hole/slot is in the right direction so it contacts instantly.
Old 09-06-10, 10:35 PM
tom steele
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 99 GS3
So if you move to a q45 or accufab TB along with a 5/6 speed conversion, then there would be no ecu issues? I've seen where you would lose the cruise control which is no big deal, but is the second posting above correct that you would also lose the Traction Control?
i think so but who needs that i turn it off most of the time anyway and since i am in the process of changing it to a six speed i might have to look into this. i am in the process of rebuilding my throttle body right now just waiting on the throttle control motor. may be sell mine and get a bigger 90 mm throttle body anybody experiment with bigger throttle bodies? i have been thinking of doing a stand alone as well maybe building a mega squirt unit to run my motor.
Old 05-19-13, 03:27 PM
articmonke
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai

everyone i know its two years old thread but it saved me
i need to ask jeff if he has a picture of this tab that was inserted into the throttle body