Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Help Finding Engine mods for IS250 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-10, 07:39 PM
Imnutz4jdm
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Finding Engine mods for IS250 AWD

So i have a IS250AWD 06
and i m all into going fast...i know i know i should have gotten a IsF or Is350
but dad just went and bought this for me
so mods i have so far are BCS coilovers and a custom made borla true duel exhaust
so i am looking for what else i can do to go faster and gain more hp
so if you guys can help out it would be highly appreciated

thank you guys
Old 08-25-10, 07:46 PM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Everything you can get for the IS (especially the 250) is going to be slight. Intake, Exhaust, Midpipe - 15hp, if you're lucky. If PPE makes you some headers, maybe a little more.

If you want to surprise some people, go with Nitrous. That's about the only option besides a futile and costly forced induction attempt.
Old 08-25-10, 08:13 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Sadly, not only did your dad buy you the slowest possible IS, it's also the hardest to add any power to (not that any of the ISx50s are great for that)

A 350 would've cost maybe 2k more than an AWD 250 and added 102 hp (and lost several hundred lbs of weight).

With an AWD 250, well, other than nitrous, on top of the exhaust you have you could add an intake for about 5 hp... Joe Z for $120 or so will do ya for the intake...anything else will cost more and make more noise but not add any more power. And... that's it. Seriously. You got the wrong car if you want to go fast.

There's not even headers for the AWD model.

Put F-sport sway bars on it and at least it'll feel a little better going slowly around corners
Old 08-26-10, 06:46 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

When I had an AWD IS IMF PM me this
Sorry about taking so long to get back to you. I just noticed this PM, didnt see it before, strange.

I dont have any news on the AWD models but i will once the headers are released. We are hoping to be able to design one system that fits all models. Things are moving a little slower then i have hoped for but its still in the works.

I'll update everyone as the products are getting closer of being released.

Thanks, Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by laobo979
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMF
We will develop the headers, mid-pipes and cat back exhaust system for all IS models.

Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by laobo979
Quote:
Old 08-26-10, 06:58 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

If they plan to design one header that fits all models (250, 250 AWD, and 350) you probably don't want to be buying anything from them as it demonstrates a pretty poor understanding of header design

The AWD has less space to work with under there- even Mazzuri, who DID build a prototype AWD version of his header, was pretty underwhelmed with the result... IIRC someone on here still has the prototype headers on his car but the gains weren't much.
Old 08-27-10, 05:04 PM
Gaugster
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kurtz
The AWD has less space to work with under there- even Mazzuri, who DID build a prototype AWD version of his header, was pretty underwhelmed with the result... IIRC someone on here still has the prototype headers on his car but the gains weren't much.
That's me... AFAIK the AWD headers make similar power as the 2WD's. Never seen any claims to the contrary. Plus they weight less. Every bit counts on these IS'
Old 08-27-10, 09:06 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gaugster
That's me... AFAIK the AWD headers make similar power as the 2WD's. Never seen any claims to the contrary. Plus they weight less. Every bit counts on these IS'

Given they're not the same size/shape as the RWD ones, and the RWD ones were supposedly the "optimal" design for the 250 engine, and you have the same engine, I'd expect your results to be at least marginally less, if not significantly less.

Since you're the only person I know with AWD headers you'd be the one to very that or not... did you dyno em before/after?
Old 08-27-10, 10:46 PM
soleeasii
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is nothing to make AWD IS250 go fast.. I've had to learn to accept that!!
Old 08-28-10, 07:17 AM
Gaugster
Advanced

Given they're not the same size/shape as the RWD ones, and the RWD ones were supposedly the "optimal" design for the 250 engine, and you have the same engine, I'd expect your results to be at least marginally less, if not significantly less.

Since you're the only person I know with AWD headers you'd be the one to very that or not... did you dyno em before/after?
After several trips to the dragstrip I can claim 0.2 - 0.3sec & +1mph improvment in the quarter mile. This takes into account DA etc... The strip cost me $15 whereas a dyno is more like $150....not worth the cost of another dyno run...
Old 08-28-10, 08:49 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gaugster
After several trips to the dragstrip I can claim 0.2 - 0.3sec & +1mph improvment in the quarter mile. This takes into account DA etc... The strip cost me $15 whereas a dyno is more like $150....not worth the cost of another dyno run...
Yikes... dyno runs are like 50-75 around here!

Anyway, clearly gains, the unfortunate thing is AFAIK nobody with a RWD did any track testing, only dyno testing...so we can't really compare the gains.

You can give the trap speed->hp estimator a try:
http://www.dragtimes.com/horsepower-...calculator.php

But it's only an approximation.

I suppose it's a bit moot in that he's outta business though
Old 08-29-10, 12:38 PM
UmattWayO
Driver

Originally Posted by montgb
Everything you can get for the IS (especially the 250) is going to be slight. Intake, Exhaust, Midpipe - 15hp, if you're lucky. If PPE makes you some headers, maybe a little more.

If you want to surprise some people, go with Nitrous. That's about the only option besides a futile and costly forced induction attempt.
I didn't know there was a midpipe that works for the AWD.. which one?
Old 08-29-10, 05:31 PM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by UmattWayO
I didn't know there was a midpipe that works for the AWD.. which one?
Good catch - no midpipes for the AWD unless you customize one.
Old 08-30-10, 09:06 AM
Gaugster
Advanced

Yikes... dyno runs are like 50-75 around here!

Anyway, clearly gains, the unfortunate thing is AFAIK nobody with a RWD did any track testing, only dyno testing...so we can't really compare the gains.

You can give the trap speed->hp estimator a try:
http://www.dragtimes.com/horsepower-...calculator.php

But it's only an approximation.

I suppose it's a bit moot in that he's outta business though
Yea - AWD's need a "special" dyno............oh well. Track time is way more fun...

Drag times has my info as well as two other IS250's. Both are 2WD but ones also a manual.

http://www.dragtimes.com/results.php...arch+DragTimes

Some quick experimenting with the calculator puts the overall increase at 12 HP. Which is very much in-line with my "rule". I.e. take the manufactures HP/TQ claims and divide by 2.......
Old 08-31-10, 08:07 PM
Dannyj444
Driver School Candidate

Default A little help

Add a voltage stabilizer it will help with the throttle response which will help a little with track times. I know its not much but for the 17 bucs i paid it made a noticeable difference to me, nothing neck braking but its better then nothing. And dont worry cause while all the big mouth 350 owners are sliding around like there on iceskates in the rain you will be ripping down the road. And you guys need to back off on the u should have got the 350 HE HAD THE CAR GIVEN TO HIM!!! i could only wixh that would happen to me. Welcome to the wor;d of Lexus Bro gratz.
Old 08-31-10, 09:30 PM
JoeCombs
Pole Position

your car is still hella sexy, who cares unless you wanna race? my stack of speeding tickets remind me my 250 is just fine.

Quick Reply: Help Finding Engine mods for IS250 AWD