Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

What turbochargers do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-10, 08:22 AM
wiltrang
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What turbochargers do you use?

Hey everyone this is my first thread, i've been a long time lurker for a while on CL ever since I got my GS300 in back 2008. I've been planning on purchasing a turbo kit for my 2000 GS300 for quite a while. I was thinking of either getting 62-1 turbo by turbonetics or t67 bolt on kit by CXRacing. What turbo do you use or would you recommend from your experience?
Old 08-11-10, 10:15 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

I used to use turbonetics. It was a decent turbo, but other people haven't had the same results as me. Many people have the turbos fail prematurely, but it could just be due to installation error. I was only running pump gas at 17psi with that turbo though. Mine lasted a good 2 years and it still had as little shaft play as when it was new.

After that, I tried a few precision ball bearing turbos a few times and it seems like their bearings just don't hold up as well. My last turbo I used was a HKS T51R which uses a Garrett GT42 center cartridge. That turbo is very durable and the shaft play is nearly as minimal as the day I bought it. I ran that turbo pretty hard usually at around 25-30psi range all the time.

Right now, for all my new customer cars and a few of my own projects. I've been using Comp Turbos. They have a new triple ball bearing system which works very well.

It's really up to you what you want to use. A good turbo is going to run you around $800-1000 for a non-BB and BB units tend to start at around $1400+.

To end this on a final note, I wouldn't use the turbo kits on ebay. First, their stuff does not have very much R&D into it. The setup may be extremely laggy or in worse case it will cause some catastrophic damage to your engine if the parts fail. They do not go through much quality control compared to the big brands, but then again they cost 1/3 lol. Your choice
Old 08-11-10, 11:58 AM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've used Precision & Innovative (ITS) and no complaints with either.
Old 08-11-10, 02:08 PM
puff
Lexus Test Driver

Precision 62mm.
Old 08-11-10, 02:52 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Precision billet wheels are pretty nice as well.
Old 08-11-10, 05:57 PM
wiltrang
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JeffTsai

It's really up to you what you want to use. A good turbo is going to run you around $800-1000 for a non-BB and BB units tend to start at around $1400+.

To end this on a final note, I wouldn't use the turbo kits on ebay. First, their stuff does not have very much R&D into it. The setup may be extremely laggy or in worse case it will cause some catastrophic damage to your engine if the parts fail. They do not go through much quality control compared to the big brands, but then again they cost 1/3 lol. Your choice
Yeah, the main thing that attracted me to the CXRacing turbo was the ridiculously cheap price. My uncle who has helped me install all of my past parts on my cars recommended me to use vortech v5 supercharger. But those will usually run for $4000. I'm starting to look into the precision turbo's.
Old 08-11-10, 06:09 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Precision for me, no issues so far.
Old 08-11-10, 06:18 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TTurboPimp
Precision for me, no issues so far.
Yep same here, love my 67mm precision.
Old 08-11-10, 09:41 PM
MrExecutiv
Lexus Champion

Garrett GT42R

It really depends on how much you want to spend. Like Jeff said, stay away from ebay turbo kits.
Old 08-12-10, 03:27 PM
wiltrang
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MrExecutiv
Garrett GT42R

It really depends on how much you want to spend. Like Jeff said, stay away from ebay turbo kits.
I went to go help out my uncle move into his new house today and had a chat about upgrading my GS, i'm 80% leaning towards a Garrett turbo kit. Mainly because my uncle has had experience with installing a Garrett turbo on his Supra.

I'll be posting pics up of the Supra sometime this week to show you guys what's under the hood since i'm going back to his house to help tomorrow and maybe this Sunday

I'll also post up pics of my GS if I decide to upgrade it, its been entirely stock ever since I bought it. Thanks for your input guys.
Old 08-13-10, 11:55 AM
gumball7
Driver School Candidate

Garrett GT37R with 1.01 a/r for me
Old 08-13-10, 09:04 PM
wiltrang
Driver School Candidate

Last edited by wiltrang; 08-13-10 at 09:09 PM.
Old 08-13-10, 09:09 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

That Supra's been sitting for a while. Go single, less hassles and headaches.
Old 08-13-10, 09:35 PM
wiltrang
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 3Rotor
That Supra's been sitting for a while. Go single, less hassles and headaches.
Yeah..my uncle's hasn't had time to fix it up and clean it since he started moving. I had to go help him today to clear out the garage filled with rats and not to mention a bee hive..-.- Long story short, he has a bunch of parts that he might want me to list in the classified section of CL. I'm in the process of looking for a single turbo. Problem is i'm having a hard time looking for a supplier or source to buy a Precision turbo for my GS (I haven't done a engine swap on it so i'll be getting a single).
Old 08-13-10, 11:21 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

My friend just helped his cousin get his T-88 Supra to pass emissions and back on the road after it was sitting in their grandma's back yard for years.

I say talk your uncle into giving you the Supra

Quick Reply: What turbochargers do you use?