Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

IS 350 Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-10, 02:24 PM
Willdb15
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

interesting thread im looking at a new car my budgets 35k as well i want a fast car but dont want a bmw any suggestions besides the is350
Old 08-17-10, 03:14 PM
Wierdazndu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Willdb15
interesting thread im looking at a new car my budgets 35k as well i want a fast car but dont want a bmw any suggestions besides the is350
Luxury: Infiniti g37s

Fast: Evo, STI
Old 08-18-10, 05:31 PM
ilv1004s
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RpmSteve
OMG, finally someone on here not drooling over VP pillows. YES, you're def onto something my friend. Adapting the fuel system isnt a really big deal but I worry that eliminating certain aspects of the OEM system may throw all kinds of trouble with the oem computers.

It seems to me that the biggest issue with boosting the stock motor is the compression being so high. I'm not sure if a slightly thicker gasket and strong headstuds would be enough, or if you actually have to swap out the pistons to lower comp ones. What you stated above sounds great but alot of people will not want to get into a 15k project (minimum) between putting together a frankenstein motor with all forged internals, then doing the turbo setup. Plus who knows if the crank angle sensor, knock sensor, etc... will all match up. Then we need to custom wire things and so on.

lastly, you're comparing the weight of a stock IS350. Swap that block in there and you're going to have a heavier car by probably at least 100 lbs. The ISF also has an 8 spd tranny which I'm sure accounts for some of the weight, but the is350 tranny may not be able to hold the power anyway, so then we're stuck modding that as well.

When we're done we may have an IS350 with 20k invested that has the same power as a stock motor ISF running 7psi. Or we could have bought a newer m3, z06, 335i and modded it, etc...
woudlnt be getting rid of anything oem would it?

Last edited by lobuxracer; 08-18-10 at 05:55 PM.
Old 08-18-10, 05:59 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,843 Likes on 2,331 Posts

These engines have completely different piston crowns. The only redeeming factor is they both have angled squish. No, a thicker head gasket would be a really bad idea. But it does appear the 1GR piston has a dish to it, not a crown, so it might be possible to run some boost with it.

Keep in mind, without knowing the combustion chamber volumes it isn't possible to predict which way the compression ratio will go. Longer stroke always means more compression if everything else is the same. So does bigger bore.

The good part is the bore centers and cylinder offsets are the same on the two blocks. there are some detail differences, but this might be an interesting way to get a 4.0 liter into an IS350. Who's got an FJ Cruiser for a donor engine?
Old 08-18-10, 08:39 PM
trackdood
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
These engines have completely different piston crowns. The only redeeming factor is they both have angled squish. No, a thicker head gasket would be a really bad idea. But it does appear the 1GR piston has a dish to it, not a crown, so it might be possible to run some boost with it.

Keep in mind, without knowing the combustion chamber volumes it isn't possible to predict which way the compression ratio will go. Longer stroke always means more compression if everything else is the same. So does bigger bore.

The good part is the bore centers and cylinder offsets are the same on the two blocks. there are some detail differences, but this might be an interesting way to get a 4.0 liter into an IS350. Who's got an FJ Cruiser for a donor engine?
lance, i think we need to pick up a salvaged one and do this. i am soo down.
Old 12-30-10, 04:01 AM
RadRus
Driver School Candidate

Question Greetings: Fom a Santa Barbara Slider

Hello where did you get your NOs and how did you like / not like it?
Old 12-31-10, 06:03 AM
TrueStreet
Driver

lol, funny I ask this a while back and get the cold shoulder, but someone else asks it and they're on the right track

I've been going over parts comparison between the different GRs since I'm looking for a solution to my oil pan clearance.

The cylinder head gasket looks pretty similar, but kinda looks like there are passages that the 2GR has that the 1GR doesn't have.

Here are some head comparisons.
1GR-FE

2GR-FSE

you can see there are some differences in the passages, not sure if they matter or can be adapted to work properly or what, but yea.

This is why I was thinking maybe there is a chance with utilizing the 1GR crank to do maybe a small stroke increase since it looks very compatible.

edit: btw, I know toyota said they have special pistons for the FSE head on the 2GR, but when looking at diagrams it shows the same piston dish on all the GR engines, I don't know if that's just them being lazy or not but say when I look at the pistons on the 1UR-FSE they show the dishing for the DI and looks very different. I've tried to scour in the internet for a pic of a 2GR-FSE piston, but have come up short. Anyone have a pic?

Last edited by TrueStreet; 12-31-10 at 06:28 AM.
Old 12-31-10, 02:01 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,843 Likes on 2,331 Posts

The only thing I know with pics is this. But it's definitely not clear photography of the piston crowns.
Old 01-02-11, 06:42 PM
TrueStreet
Driver

thanks, that actually helps. Even though they are low quality it really looks like the 1UR-FSE pistons, which both share the same bore size. Be interesting if they are the same pistons, same bore/stroke and same compression ratio. I know of one 1UR-FSE being turboed, but it's by Top Secrete and well just like the name they don't release much info about what they did to achieve the results they got.

I think I'm going to compare part numbers between the two engine's pistons and rods, see how different they are.
Old 01-02-11, 08:27 PM
pepos
Driver

I have installed the LMS S/C kit and running on stock compression with no problems at all for 6000 miles now.
No engine management or new fuel pump.
Boosting at 7.1 psi.
The engine produces 70 BHP more.
If you take a look at this bellow CP and PAUTER can make custom pistons and rods for our rides.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...percharge.html
We will have a solution to adjust AFR and Timing safely really soon!!!
So i beleive that with a budget of 10K an IS350 can go safely to 450 BHP.
Old 01-03-11, 12:38 AM
TrueStreet
Driver

yea looking forward to that. 450HP turbo would be freaking sweet, especially on a stroked version or something.

different part numbers on the pistons/rods, only thing that is the same is the ring hole snap for the piston pin.
Old 01-03-11, 08:12 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by pepos
I have installed the LMS S/C kit and running on stock compression with no problems at all for 6000 miles now.
No engine management or new fuel pump.
Boosting at 7.1 psi.
The engine produces 70 BHP more.
If you take a look at this bellow CP and PAUTER can make custom pistons and rods for our rides.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...percharge.html
We will have a solution to adjust AFR and Timing safely really soon!!!
So i beleive that with a budget of 10K an IS350 can go safely to 450 BHP.
I thought you were seeing pretty lean AFRs at 7 psi?
Old 01-03-11, 11:28 AM
pepos
Driver

Originally Posted by Kurtz
I thought you were seeing pretty lean AFRs at 7 psi?
Correct and i'm still seeing it.
I go 12.5 to 13 at WOT.
But even with this readings the car is handling nicely and i have no problems at all until now.
Just to be safe and gain 10 to 15 BHP more, i searched for an ECU management solution which i beleive i found it.
I might have some pretty good news on the matter in the next few days.
I have made the order 3 months ago on a special moded ECU management and it's on its way to me as we speak.
I want to install it program it and test it before i say anything more.
The vendor did the R&D and testings all this period and he states that stock ECU won't get to limp mode when it works on close loop.
He told me also not to anounce it yet until we are 100% that the thing works which he beleives it will.
We have also the ability for custom made pistons and rods and they can make them identical on shape with lower compression if they have a specimen to make a blueprint out of it.
In my opinion the only thing missing to complete the package is a custom made intake manifold to get rid of the plastic one but even with that i think we can survive up to 1 bar of boosting.
So if someone is willing to spend some money on his ride, he can definatly make 150 BHP out of a 2GR-FSE engine.

Last edited by pepos; 01-03-11 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-03-11, 11:59 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm sure one could...well, assuming the cylinder walls and whatnot hold up... but I doubt one could do it for less than just having bought an IS-F instead, where with just bolt ons you can have 150 more hp than an IS350 and a full factory warranty.

(Again I realize you're not in the US so this isn't cost effective... but with the US market having a "better" option and the # of other countries with the 350 at all pretty limited it does limit the market for such a $10,000+ kit)

On the other hand, if the engine management stuff was affordable and could add 10-15 hp to an NA car for a relatively decent cost that would be a VERY popular option among 350 owners.

But personally I wouldn't classify a boosted motor hitting 13:1 AFR at WOT as having no problems even if it hasn't melted anything important yet...
Old 01-03-11, 12:39 PM
pepos
Driver

Originally Posted by Kurtz
I'm sure one could...well, assuming the cylinder walls and whatnot hold up... but I doubt one could do it for less than just having bought an IS-F instead, where with just bolt ons you can have 150 more hp than an IS350 and a full factory warranty.

(Again I realize you're not in the US so this isn't cost effective... but with the US market having a "better" option and the # of other countries with the 350 at all pretty limited it does limit the market for such a $10,000+ kit)

On the other hand, if the engine management stuff was affordable and could add 10-15 hp to an NA car for a relatively decent cost that would be a VERY popular option among 350 owners.

But personally I wouldn't classify a boosted motor hitting 13:1 AFR at WOT as having no problems even if it hasn't melted anything important yet...
I agree with you Kurtz.
You guys in the States have better options than moding ISx50s.
And if i had the option of getting a 350 for 3000$ (2000 Euros) more i wouldn't think of spending that money to boost a 250.
Or even 10000 for an IS-F.
With the new management i'm aiming at 11:1 AFR and that's why i searched for it and not so much for the extra 15 i hope to get.
The stock motor can handle 7 psi of boost without melting anything.
Beleive me that every day i squeeze the car to it's limits.
My theory is that because of the nature of the centrifugal compressors which produce their peak at high rpm, the motor doesn't suffers that much because i have 5 psi until 6000 rpm and i see 7.1 psi at red line which doesn't last that much to do any damage.
When i'm cruising on highway with 100 or 120 miles per hour my boost is zero because you need to step on it in order for the BOV to shut and deliver pressure to the manifold.
In city driving i don't see more than 3 psi in any circumstances.
What i'm trying to say is that the kit works very well along with our motor and the car is still civilized and comfort.
Only when you stepping hard on it the motor shows its teeth and you must be very stupid to ride at WOT on 6th gear for too long with 13:1 AFR.
To melt something even at 13:1 you need more than 60 seconds at WOT and red line.
My top speed is 162 miles per hour and i could hold it only for a few seconds.
Even a three lane road shrinks a lot in these speeds.
The only drawback is that i always use premium gas 100 octane.
I beleive that i gave you the picture.

Last edited by pepos; 01-03-11 at 12:58 PM.

Quick Reply: IS 350 Supercharger