Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Voltphreaks VPH-750 5.5lbs Lithium Iron Battery Review

Old 06-28-10, 11:10 PM
andrewshu3
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Voltphreaks VPH-750 5.5lbs Lithium Iron Battery Review

Hello everyone, here's Part One of my Voltphreaks VPH-750 5.5 lbs lithium iron battery review.
First, a disclaimer: I have no financial interests in Voltphreaks, and I'm not being paid or given any sort of commission for this review. However, I was offered, and I did accept, a discount on my battery. I am also NOT a professional driver of any kind, and I rarely take my car to the track or dragstrip. Keeping this in mind, I will try my very best to stay objective.

(Short version is at the bottom.)
Shipping, Delivery, Packaging
The battery arrived within three days after I placed my order, wrapped in a layer of bubble wrap and packaged with some promotional material, instructions/warnings, and a remote switch. The switch can be routed to the passenger compartment to enable remote triggering of the power switch. I chose not to install this, so this function will not be reviewed.

Installation
Following removal of the stock battery, I was left with the question of how to securely mount the Voltphreaks battery. No brackets are provided with the battery, and since the battery doesn't have the same dimensions of any Odyssey or Braille battery, none of the brackets designed for those batteries will fit. In the end, I used heavy duty 3M mounting tape on the bottom of the battery to mount it in the battery bay. After driving some 300 miles, the battery has remained secure. However, I may rotate the battery later on so that it's on its side instead. (I must clearly state that Voltphreaks doesn't recommend this as a mounting solution.) I hope Voltphreaks will develop some sort of universal bracket to use with their batteries. Currently, there is only one mounting bracket available for the VPH-750 that is designed for use with a Lotus.

Performance
The first time I started the car after installing the battery, it did struggle a bit to turn the engine over, although that may just be a complication associated with my installation of headers and exhaust at the same time. Subsequent engine starts were rather uneventful and no different from using the stock battery. I haven't noticed any errors associated with the VPH-750 during normal SoCal driving (city and highway). All in all, the battery pretty much behaves the same as a normal lead acid car battery.
The battery has some pretty nifty additional features. A power switch allows you to very easily "disconnect" the battery for when you want to perform modifications to the car without having to detach the negative battery post. (A little gripe is the location of the power switch, which is a little too close to the positive battery post. It would be nice if they could relocate the switch, but this is probably dictated more by the arrangement of internal components than mere whim.)
Also included is circuitry which automatically shuts the battery off when it reaches a critical voltage, preserving enough charge to start the engine. This is useful for when you accidentally leave on your headlights or some other device which would otherwise drain your battery. A full test of this function will be in part 2 of this review. For now, I've left the battery on while on summer break in Asia. This will test if the battery can hold sufficient charge for 3 months and still be able to start the engine when I get back. If it fails to do this, either due to the normal trickle usage of power by the car or some other reason, this will test if the auto shutoff function will be able to preserve enough charge to start the engine once I turn the battery back on.

Weight
Total weight of the stock IS350 battery comes to approximately 41lbs including the mounting hardware. Compare this with the total weight of the VPH750, which is 5.5 lbs. Add that to the negligible weight of two strips of mounting tape, and you can see just how much weight you are saving over the stock battery. Taking over 35 pounds off the top of the nose of this car is no small feat. I combined this with removal of the spare and changing my entire exhaust system, netting me around 80 lbs of weight savings. Corner weighting the car will probably net greater handling improvements.

Value
Is 1300 USD for a battery worth it? That's for you to decide. Keep in mind that the manufacturer advertises its batteries as "last(ing) 3 to 4 times as long as the lead-acid battery it's replacing, and 5-10 years or more." That's combined with weight savings and the convenience provided by the built in circuitry.

The Short Review
Pros:
- Weighs 5.5 lbs vs 41 lbs for the stock battery
- On/Off switch
- Auto shutoff circuitry
- Extended service life

Cons:
- Price (1300 USD)
- Dimensions don't match that of any existing battery that may already have mounting brackets available. Only one mounting bracket designed for mounting in a Lotus exists.
- Location of power switch (nitpicking)

Photos

Stock lead acid battery

Temporarily installed using 3M heavy duty mounting tape

Another shot
Old 06-29-10, 12:18 AM
someboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

awesome review but 1300 dollar for a battery? a bit too expensive
Old 06-29-10, 03:32 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by someboy
awesome review but 1300 dollar for a battery? a bit too expensive
i agree. i'd rather get joe z exhaust for performance for that price.
Old 06-29-10, 03:37 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Outstanding writeup! But I did a doubletake when I saw the price. Why did you decide on Voltphreak over Braille or Odyssey?
Old 06-29-10, 04:54 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

WOW 1300 for a battery??? as for your 'weight savings' angle~ you're driving a lexus not a track car... If your serious about weight savings you bought the wrong car/brand... i think you're crazy but hey, balla is as balla does right?
Old 06-29-10, 06:37 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cac damn! $1300?!?! F that! haha Optima FTW
Old 06-29-10, 06:43 AM
blake0387
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, but that's a huge waste of cash.
Old 06-29-10, 07:46 AM
andrewshu3
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't want to come off as advertising the product, but I just want to get a few points across.

Comparing the price with other lithium iron batteries from porsche (2-3k standalone or 1.7k with the car) or braille (1-2k depending on model), its actually priced comparably or lower. That combined with the additional over-discharge and overcharge protection circuitry and power switch renders it favorable when you're doing an apples to apples comparison. Don't even compare a lithium iron battery to the racing batteries offered by optima or odyssey, they're completely different technologies. Lithium iron phosphate batteries are on the cutting edge of battery tech right now.

montgb: thanks. the choice was really only between braille and Voltphreaks, since odyssey doesnt offer a lithium battery. Voltphreaks won because of the circuitry, their proximity to me (socal), plus the discount that I received (I'm not going to disclose how much).

llama: In regards to weight savings, you don't need a "track car" to justify saving weight. Taking weight off will also net you increased mileage and handling benefits. Plus, for our cars, this is probably one of very few options for losing weight off the nose. I bought the right brand of car, I just want to put it on a diet.

Blake: This is not up to you to decide whether or not it's a "huge waste of cash." This is a value judgement that can only be made by the person purchasing the product.

Jetfire: I agree that there are mods that will provide greater gains (exhaust, headers, tires, lightweight wheels, coilovers, etc) for the money, but this probably isn't aimed at those of you just starting off.

For *me*, the pros listed in the review (service life, over-discharge protection, weight, power switch) justify its cost.
Old 06-29-10, 07:52 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,112 Likes on 1,289 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewshu3
Value
Is 1300 USD for a battery worth it? That's for you to decide. Keep in mind that the manufacturer advertises its batteries as "last(ing) 3 to 4 times as long as the lead-acid battery it's replacing, and 5-10 years or more."
Curious if they actually back up that marketing with their warranty? How long is the warranty on the battery? I assume it is prorated like a regular auto battery... do you know what the scale is? Can you get the cash back from them on the prorated amount and use it to put a regular battery back in if you don't want to apply it towards another (gasp) $1300 battery?

edit - nevermind I looked it up online. It's only a one year warranty....

Batteries are expected to last 5 to 10 years with proper care, but due to the unpredictable nature of
racing, batteries are warranted for one year from date of purchase for defects in materials and
workmanship to the original purchaser only. This is a off road use only racing battery meant for users
who are willing to accept all risks from use of product. We do not warranty the suitability of the
product for any particular purpose; it is up to the user to determine suitability. Voltphreaks LLC's
warranty on any non-battery product is 30 days from date of purchase.

Warranty covers the replacement or repair of the battery itself only. Damages to user’s car, injury,
installation labor, and other damages are not covered by this warranty. In the event that a repair
under warranty is not possible, a suitable model may be provided. In no event shall Voltphreaks LLC's
liability exceed the purchase price of the battery.

• Products must be professionally installed.
• For all warranty service, buyer is responsible for any duties, taxes, shipping costs, etc.
• Voltphreaks does not cover installation costs, or any consequent damages resulting from use
of product other than costs to repair/replace battery. Customer bears all risk.
• Voltphreaks LLC expressly disclaims liability of any and all consequential damages caused by
use of this product and the breach of any written or implied warranty pertaining to this sale in excess
of the purchase price of the product sold.
• Battery must be installed and used properly and as intended (as an automotive starter battery)
or warranty will be void. Damage to battery, property, or person from misuse, accident, theft,
overcharging, sort circuit, disassembly, or fire is not covered. Voltphreaks assumes no liability from
misuse of information or installation of products.
• Battery is not user serviceable. Warranty is void if battery is tampered or modified.
• If battery has failed and/or the fault detection buzzer sounds, battery must not be used further
or warranty is void.
• NEVER USE ANY PHYSICALLY DAMAGED BATTERY, AS IT IS UNSAFE. WARRANTY WILL ABSOLUTELY NOT BE HONORED IF A PHYSICALLY DAMAGED BATTERY IS USED.
Retain original receipt. Warranty is non-transferable.
that would be extremely concerning if I were actually in the market for one of these at this price. If I were shopping for a lightweight battery I'd go with one of the "less advanced" competitors for sure at a much lower price point. Thanks for doing the review regardless!

Last edited by DaveGS4; 06-29-10 at 07:59 AM.
Old 06-29-10, 08:21 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewshu3
llama: In regards to weight savings, you don't need a "track car" to justify saving weight. Taking weight off will also net you increased mileage and handling benefits. Plus, for our cars, this is probably one of very few options for losing weight off the nose. I bought the right brand of car, I just want to put it on a diet.
Agreed. I'm not sure what it being a "Lexus" has to do with where and how you decide to drive, especially given Lexus' push with F-sport accessories and free track day events. Removing weight was one of the best things which happened to my 350, and earned way more return than bolt-on power mods.

I'd like to see what happens once you finish up your project and corner balance it. Thanks for the review.
Old 06-29-10, 09:39 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,834 Likes on 2,323 Posts

Surely it helps reduce overall weight, but the car is significantly biased to the driver's side from the factory. Reducing the passenger's side weight only makes the imbalance worse. Sometimes it's a bit frustrating to realize the car was built with a bias for right hand drive implementations.
Old 06-29-10, 11:27 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^ Ah, the infamous "Lexus Lean" explained.
Old 07-22-10, 11:19 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, just FYI... I've had my 3.5 pound LiIon battery in my car since last fall and still working... and it costs around 200-300 bucks to make on your own.
Old 11-25-10, 12:40 PM
GP4Flo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm selling my Voltphreaks VPH 300 battery, maybe someone is interested:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=300497164289