Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Info: Leading Cause of Transmission Failure at Elevated Power Levels.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-10, 03:33 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Info: Leading Cause of Transmission Failure at Elevated Power Levels.

Ok, I've been spending the past year or so doing some extensive research into these Toyota A650E 5 speed automatic transmissions. Mine kept on breaking and I got seriously fed up. I haven't really seen any serious research into this transmission, so I decided to take the initiative.

The leading cause of transmission failure on a higher power car is due to the failure of the intermediate sprag, or what most people refer to as the infamous 3rd gear sprag. Once this part goes out, the car will no longer have a 3rd gear.

I've worked closely with a custom sprag manufacturer and after many many revisions, we have come up with an industrial grade ultra heavy duty sprag clutch. It has a one piece billet cage instead of the more common OEM style double cage freewheel type.

Here are some photos of the stock sprag VS other builders sprags VS my new solution.

It's late 5:30AM and I haven't slept yet lol. I was up all night measuring, spec'ing, and testing. I'll have more to write up here in the following days.

Keep in mind, these transmission parts are tested on my personal car. It can rev to 8000rpm, but I usually shift it at around 7600-7700rpm. The car runs 25-35psi of boost under testing. I literally test the parts until failure to find the weakest link in the transmission.

Here is where the problematic part is located.

The problem arises when the sprag cage deforms, collapses, or shatters into pieces.

Another shot of the stock sprag damaged. Once the cage fails, the sprag elements/teeth will fall out.
The stock sprag is weak and small. It has 16 elements and a total cage height of 14mm.

Two failed stock sprags side by side. As you can see, the failure is similar in which the cage is damaged.

Here is a picture of the PFS upgraded "race" sprag clutch. Same problem, the sprag cage failed catastrophically in this instance.
The inner cage blew apart and everything went into pieces.

This is an upgraded heavy duty sprag clutch that I spec'd out and had custom manufactured for me. They used a heavy duty sprag cage, but it still failed under extreme stress. I shift at close to 8000rpm on my auto trans and running around 30psi on the engine. When the sprag cage fails, the teeth will seize and get burned up/ground down by the excessive friction. The upgraded cage did not shatter, but it still deformed under the excessive stress. Under these situations, the sprag has a "roll over" where the teeth on the sprag all flip around to the wrong direction.

Close up of the sprag element damage and roll over.

Close up of worn out/burned up elements.

Close up of the PFS race sprag. Same damage as the stock sprag clutch.
The PFS race sprag has 20 elements with a 22mm cage height.
I originally had my trans upgraded by them and it failed at around 450rwhp.

A second shot of the PFS race sprag.

A shot of the OEM Toyota sprag 14mm cage height VS my Version 1 upgraded sprag with heavy duty cage. They both failed. The v1 sprag has a 16mm cage height.

In this photo. The stock sprag is in the very front, v1 sprag is behind it, and the v2 sprag are the two in the back.

Another angle.

A shot of all the parts side by side. I had my version 2 sprags custom built to my specifications. There are two versions, one is the 16mm and the other is the 22mm double height unit. The v2 sprag is an extremely heavy duty clutch with a solid one-piece cage. It is leaps and bounds stronger than the OEM style double cage freewheel design.

A photo of the v2 single height VS double height.

Another angle.

More info to come in the following days as I do further testing.

Last edited by JeffTsai; 05-15-10 at 03:53 AM.
Old 05-15-10, 03:59 AM
bigguppy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very impresive research Jeff. Man this really show you got to pay to play! Lets hope your v2 will last under pressure.

So did the double height sprang required a new houseing to fit into the OEM trans considering it is near 2x bigger than OEM or was this a plug n play design?
Old 05-15-10, 04:04 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bigguppy
Very impresive research Jeff. Man this really show you got to pay to play! Lets hope your v2 will last under pressure.

So did the double height sprang required a new houseing to fit into the OEM trans considering it is near 2x bigger than OEM or was this a plug n play design?
A custom fabricated retainer is needed for the double height. I have to fabricate and machine a custom piece to hold the sprag in place. I'm hoping the single height will be sufficient to hold around 500-600whp under full on drag race conditions(full throttle, full boost shifting), because then I won't have to do any serious custom work and it will be mostly a bolt-in affair. If the single height is not sufficient to hold the power, then I will start designing the retainer for the double height sprag. I had two different heights of sprags made just incase the single height wasn't sufficient. The retainer will have to be precision TIG welded into the the sprag housing because there is very very little room left in there once the double height unit is installed. We shall see how it all pans out in the next week or two lol...
Old 05-15-10, 09:05 AM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, finally someone with the ability to show us what is really happening in the A650 trans. Check you PM.
Old 05-15-10, 09:59 AM
TxLexus400
Lead Lap

good stuff man.
Old 05-15-10, 10:47 AM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how big/strong of a sprag do you need to hold all that power? it seems like no matter how you build it the tranny still fails.
Old 05-15-10, 11:02 AM
NVTHSLEX
Lead Lap

This info. will be really helpful,

great work on the research.
Old 05-15-10, 11:26 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

So our tranny can only handle 325 or so WHP?

wiki:
A650E
5 Speed Automatic Transmission
Applications:
1998-2005 Lexus GS 300 (2nd Generation)
1998-2000 Lexus GS 400
1998-2000 Lexus LS 400
2001-2005 Lexus GS 430
2001-2005 Lexus IS 300 (1st Generation)
2001-2003 Lexus LS 430
2001-2005 Lexus SC 430
Gear Ratios: 1st 3.357 2nd 2.180 3rd 1.424 4th 1.000 5th 0.753 Rev 3.266
Max Power Rating: 325 wheel horse power.

So the question is, even after the upgrade from version one then onto version two, where were the failure point@ and what power level? Also, could it be possible that there is another weak point on each end of the mast that can cause a vibration to make the sprag not operate properly? What is the difference with having a shorter bearing vs longer bearing elements or more elements, would that change the integrity of the casing?

I don't know anything about mechanical stuff, but just wanted to pose these question just in case it's being too focused. I'm just one of those kids that like to look and ask silly questions

Last edited by sam430; 05-15-10 at 12:10 PM.
Old 05-15-10, 12:45 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sam430
So the question is, even after the upgrade from version one then onto version two, where were the failure point@ and what power level? Also, could it be possible that there is another weak point on each end of the mast that can cause a vibration to make the sprag not operate properly? What is the difference with having a shorter bearing vs longer bearing elements or more elements, would that change the integrity of the casing?

I don't know anything about mechanical stuff, but just wanted to pose these question just in case it's being too focused. I'm just one of those kids that like to look and ask silly questions
The extra height on the sprag gives it more surface area to grab onto the sun gear. The problem with the previous dual cage sprag designs before is that the cage would deform under high loads. So the extra grabbing force of the increased surface area actually accelerated the cage damage. Once the cage deforms, it's pretty much game over. The new sprags I got have billet one piece cages which is several times stronter than stock. I mean, the dual cage setup I could flex the cage by pushing down on it really hard on a table. The new ones don't even budge lol.
Old 05-15-10, 02:46 PM
NVTHSLEX
Lead Lap

How much hp would your new design be able to hold reliably ?

I think thats the question everyone would like to know....
Old 05-15-10, 11:33 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

might as well make it out of titanium LOL.
Old 07-10-10, 06:50 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Jeff, what's the word on your new stuff? Still breaking? Holding up?
Old 07-11-10, 11:47 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Jeff, fantastic work, great contribution!!!

Is this an adaptation of a racing type sprag developed for a powerglide or turbohydramatic?

This opens the door to all the 1998-2004+ vehicles that otherwise are on the edge at 350rwhp (or lower depending on torque production). I may have to build a V8 turbosystem yet!
Old 07-11-10, 11:48 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Also, assuming the sprag prove bullit-proof... what is the next weak link and estimated torque/power/rpm capacity?
Old 07-11-10, 12:29 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Jeff I am not much of a transmission guy and I only know the basre basics. Do you think this sprag can be adapted to the A340 series 4-speed transmissions? Also, it appears that the main problem with the A340 series is tha second gear sprag rolls when shifting under high torque loads and there goes the transmission. I appreciate your comments.

Ryan

Quick Reply: Info: Leading Cause of Transmission Failure at Elevated Power Levels.