Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Mid pipe muffler

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-10, 08:31 PM
kevin.tran
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mid pipe muffler

Has anyone taken out or put in an aftermarket Mid pipe muffler on a GS3 before? I'm trying to figure if there is any performance gain from them or just lose more low end torque? I want to cut that mid pipe muffler and install another magna flow muffler to match. Any benefits guys or just more noise? As of right now I have OBX headers, stock Y, Mid pipe muffler than 2.25 piping back to magnaflow mufflers.
Old 05-10-10, 09:56 AM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You might try searching threads related to the Megan mid-pipe modification which is 99% of what you're researching.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ipe-gs300.html

Basically, the mid pipe muffler (98-00 it's a muffler, 01-05 it's a resonator) replacement will give you slight performance increases at the top end of a 300, you'll suffer low end torque as a downside. A 400/430 should see modest gains with this mod.

Deeper tone, throatier (is that a word?), and better top end.
Old 05-11-10, 10:38 AM
erikbang
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZippyGuy
You might try searching threads related to the Megan mid-pipe modification which is 99% of what you're researching.

Basically, the mid pipe muffler (98-00 it's a muffler, 01-05 it's a resonator) replacement will give you slight performance increases at the top end of a 300, you'll suffer low end torque as a downside. A 400/430 should see modest gains with this mod.

I just had my mid pipe replaced with 2.5" and I noticed no sound difference and maybe a tiny bit on power.
Old 05-12-10, 09:47 PM
kevin.tran
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ZippyGuy

If thats the case I might as well not touch it. I don't want to lose any more low end torque
Old 05-12-10, 10:33 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Leave it as is. There is no noticeable increase in power if you're staying NA. You surely don't want a loud exhaust note and droning noise do you?
Old 05-13-10, 05:55 PM
Searles945
Rookie

So, my question is, does anybody honestly recommend the Megan Downpipe? I've been looking forward to ordering this part, but I wont waste my time if it isn't worth anything.
Old 05-13-10, 07:05 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Searles945
So, my question is, does anybody honestly recommend the Megan Downpipe? I've been looking forward to ordering this part, but I wont waste my time if it isn't worth anything.
What downpipe are you talking about? Unless it's for a aristo GTE motor, I don't see how US spec cars will benefit from a downpipe since we have no use for them. If you're talking about the Y-pipe section where the 3rd cats are, then that's a different story.
Old 05-14-10, 12:42 PM
turtlesdov
Driver School Candidate

Check nasioc.com on its uses and its pros and cons. Hope it helps.
Old 05-14-10, 12:56 PM
Sexy_Lexy
Driver

Originally Posted by kevin.tran
Has anyone taken out or put in an aftermarket Mid pipe muffler on a GS3 before? I'm trying to figure if there is any performance gain from them or just lose more low end torque? I want to cut that mid pipe muffler and install another magna flow muffler to match. Any benefits guys or just more noise? As of right now I have OBX headers, stock Y, Mid pipe muffler than 2.25 piping back to magnaflow mufflers.
Yo Kevin, I'm about to install the megan downpipe (aka y-pipe). I'll let you know the outcome.
Old 05-16-10, 01:02 PM
Searles945
Rookie

Originally Posted by Alexus_300
What downpipe are you talking about? Unless it's for a aristo GTE motor, I don't see how US spec cars will benefit from a downpipe since we have no use for them. If you're talking about the Y-pipe section where the 3rd cats are, then that's a different story.
Im talking about the Y-pipe section, I just really want a definite answer on the quality of the megan pipe and if anyone has had any leakage problems with them....for some reason, my GS is having bad exhaust leak problems, so, i've decided to swap everything including the headers. Im looking at the OBX headers and the megan downpipe for now, im just hoping to gain knowledge from the gurus here before I make a definite decision.
Old 05-16-10, 03:38 PM
kevin.tran
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sexy_Lexy
Yo Kevin, I'm about to install the megan downpipe (aka y-pipe). I'll let you know the outcome.
Do you have stock headers or aftermarket? I have the OBX Headers and I kept the stock Y pipe.
Old 05-16-10, 04:01 PM
Searles945
Rookie

I have the OBX Headers and I kept the stock Y pipe.
Hey kevin.tran, how do you like the OBX headers and did they seal up nice with your stock Y pipe?
Old 05-18-10, 06:44 AM
Sexy_Lexy
Driver

Do you have stock headers or aftermarket? I have the OBX Headers and I kept the stock Y pipe.
I have stock headers but was wondering about the OBX. How are they? I'm assuming you have CEL on now.
Old 05-19-10, 08:04 PM
kevin.tran
Lead Lap

Hey kevin.tran, how do you like the OBX headers and did they seal up nice with your stock Y pipe?
It's a direct fit. I was pretty amazed. Just need new gaskets and your good to go. No exhaust leak here
Old 05-19-10, 08:08 PM
kevin.tran
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sexy_Lexy
I have stock headers but was wondering about the OBX. How are they? I'm assuming you have CEL on now.
I like them. Car sounds a lot more aggressive now which I like esp. driving next to a wall barrier or going WOT. Car picks up quicker mid/high RPM ranges. I don't have any CEL on right now due to the fact I've installed a dual output sim. CEL comes on from time to time getting a P0171 code I still can't figure out what it's from. It seems to come on when it's over 70 degrees out but besides that it stays off. I have a OBDII reader so I just read it and clear it. I might have to post the freeze frame data on here when it does come back on and figure out where it's coming from. I'm thinking it's from the Bank 1 Sensor 1 O2 b/c some antiseize got on the sensor itself.

Quick Reply: Mid pipe muffler