Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1999 Lexus GS400 - Intermittent starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-10, 08:27 PM
ichiban400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Lexus GS400 - Intermittent starting issue

Hello everyone,

I have read many posts on the various intermittent starting issues that can plague our cars, however I have one that is quite unique. About 2.5 months a go I replaced the starter as it was on it's last set of turns, and I purchased a new battery as well.

The car was starting normally until last week, when I noticed that I would turn the key and I would hear only one click. I backed out of the turn in the ignition and proceeded to start the car again and then it started up fine.

It has since become a 'normal' thing, and I'm stumped as to what could be causing this. The starter is a rebuilt unit, so I'm under the opinion that it is working fine.

Both car keys have strong batteries, the starter relay clicks when trying to turn the engine over, and there are no warning lights.

Has anyone ever encountered this issue before? Thanks ahead for any advice or opinions on the matter.

V.
Old 05-05-10, 06:08 PM
DPK*David
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am having the same exact issue. I hope someone has an answer.
Old 05-05-10, 06:59 PM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts

Have you checked all the connections. Sometimes a loose battery connection or the connection at the starter can cause intermittent starting issues. Happenned to me once on an old Celica I had many years ago.
Old 05-05-10, 07:29 PM
japspec
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by newgsman
Have you checked all the connections. Sometimes a loose battery connection or the connection at the starter can cause intermittent starting issues. Happenned to me once on an old Celica I had many years ago.
Its the starter either its abad rebuilt starter or its a loose connection but I think you better find a starter oem preferably but thats gonna cost a grip.
Old 05-05-10, 08:09 PM
4litre
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Put the car in neutral then start her up...if she starts up, the neutral safety switch is going bad. Give it a shot and see what happens and let us know.
Old 05-09-10, 10:32 AM
ichiban400
Driver School Candidate

Hi Guys, I had tried the most plausible test and that was starting the car in Neutral. Again the same starting symptom occurred. I suspect the culprit is the ignition switch or the key lock itself as a quick turn from ACC2 to start yields a perfect startup. A slow switch from ACC2 to start yields the infamous one "click" sound.

It could very well be that the contacts in the switch are worn out or the tumblers in the key lock are not seating in the grooves of the key to make the necessary "hand shake" between the starter kill ecu and the chip in the key.

At this point it's time to take the car back to the mechanic and have them diagnose the issue.

Thanks to all you guys for the needed input.

V.
Old 05-09-10, 11:09 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 113 Likes on 86 Posts

get a video clip of it...
Old 05-09-10, 11:09 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

curious if you bought a reman starter or OE starter?
Old 05-22-10, 09:37 PM
ichiban400
Driver School Candidate

Hi guys, with the suggestion from my cousin here is a link to a video file, to the issue I am still having: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyBIQC7027Q

The very specific "click-clock... click-clock" is my starter trying to engage, followed by a successful start. This is not the fault of the starter relay nor the neutral safety switch, as both were checked out to be working fine.

The starter I have in there is remanufactured, and it is not from a Toyota parts bin. It's from a 3rd party, but despite the simplicity of how a starter works (the quality of the solenoid, plunger, etc.) is what determines a good starter

None the less, the car is going back to my mechanics on Wednesday to have the starter replaced and a I will "explain" to him that nothing but the best is going back in. Seeing that my mechanic is a Master Mechanic and my cousin, I think he'll do the right thing.

I had checked on Sewell Lexus and they sell remanufactured OEM starters, and it's CAD $335.00. Now that's including freight and taxes! It's a pretty good price, so if I can get my cash back for the rebuilt starter, I will definitely order this one out.

A word of caution, I had to replace the positive lead terminal because the OEM one was not tight against the battery post; it's 5 min job. You guys should all inspect yours, for peace of mind.

I will keep you posted of the post-post starter rebuild-install.

V.

Last edited by ichiban400; 05-22-10 at 09:48 PM.
Old 05-23-10, 02:10 PM
Tank
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by ichiban400
Hi guys, with the suggestion from my cousin here is a link to a video file, to the issue I am still having: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyBIQC7027Q

The very specific "click-clock... click-clock" is my starter trying to engage, followed by a successful start. This is not the fault of the starter relay nor the neutral safety switch, as both were checked out to be working fine.

The starter I have in there is remanufactured, and it is not from a Toyota parts bin. It's from a 3rd party, but despite the simplicity of how a starter works (the quality of the solenoid, plunger, etc.) is what determines a good starter

None the less, the car is going back to my mechanics on Wednesday to have the starter replaced and a I will "explain" to him that nothing but the best is going back in. Seeing that my mechanic is a Master Mechanic and my cousin, I think he'll do the right thing.

I had checked on Sewell Lexus and they sell remanufactured OEM starters, and it's CAD $335.00. Now that's including freight and taxes! It's a pretty good price, so if I can get my cash back for the rebuilt starter, I will definitely order this one out.

A word of caution, I had to replace the positive lead terminal because the OEM one was not tight against the battery post; it's 5 min job. You guys should all inspect yours, for peace of mind.

I will keep you posted of the post-post starter rebuild-install.

V.
I think you got a bad starter..
Old 05-27-10, 10:12 AM
ichiban400
Driver School Candidate

Well folks, the intake came off and the starter came out. Today I received confirmation that the starter is dead. So the good news is that I'm getting another starter and that is the only issue with the car. The bad news, ill be expecting a click when ever I start up the car! Lol.

Thanks to all of you for the much needed feedback. Pe@ce.

V.
Old 05-27-10, 11:15 AM
GS300ToM
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by eskaeone
I think you got a bad starter..
x2
Old 05-27-10, 12:07 PM
broken_tsi
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm having this issue as well. It happened a few times a few months back. Just today it has become an issue since it takes quite a few times to start it. I'm going to look for the DIY for the starter replacement, but taking off the intake doesn't sound very fun.
Old 05-27-10, 02:54 PM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ichiban400, check your PM
Old 05-27-10, 04:13 PM
ichiban400
Driver School Candidate

BROKEN_TSI:---- get it checked out, cause you don't want to be stranded. It happened to me this past Saturday and I had to get a boost - basically giving the starter enough energy to move. I've learned that the "click" will never go away, it just stops when the starter stops working.

Quick Reply: 1999 Lexus GS400 - Intermittent starting issue