Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Dyno 4/15/10

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-10, 04:17 PM
3UZFTE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JiBBeL
There's at least one Justin in Charlotte already with a 430
That's pretty ironic.. Do you by chance know anyone in or around NASCAR?

Originally Posted by sakataj
how much they charge you to install the headers? i thought you and
3UZFTE were gonna do the install?
I ended up not being able to get back to him in time before he committed to a shop. After hearing that, I'm not surprised to hear the adjustments as most of that has been post, but everything should be OK with a little adjusting. My name is Justin.

Long, on a side note.. I have a tig welder and could probably plug it up if you'd like for no charge. Are you still getting your car dyno'd at MAP tomorrow?
Old 04-22-10, 05:57 PM
denut-L
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 3UZFTE

Long, on a side note.. I have a tig welder and could probably plug it up if you'd like for no charge. Are you still getting your car dyno'd at MAP tomorrow?
Yeah, that sounds great if you can plug it up for me. I wanted it done before dyno tomorrow but oh well, maybe i'll just use jb weld for now.

Justin, Dyno time @ 11am and yes, still gonna be at MAP. See you tomorrow if you come.

Tested it at WOT and it feels great. pulls hard all the way to red line. When i first drove it home earlier it felt kinda like it didn't want to get up at low rpms, maybe due to the ecu still shocked at all the air flow coming through..lol I'm gonna try to get some video's up going from 0-60 and maybe some hwy pulls later.
Also after the gaskets were put on the cat-back so far no more CEL

Thanks to Yang at devoted auto works for taking these photo's for me.
Stock manifold and ss headers side by side

extended the o2 wires to reach stock location on driver side

The way it sits on the engine, looks better in person.
driver side

passenger side

how much they charge you to install the headers? i thought you and
3UZFTE were gonna do the install?
Labor charged was $650 due to having to custom the headers to make it fit And i replaced all gaskets from headers all the way back to axle-back = $157.72 for a grand total of $818.96 with tax.
Yeah, At first Justin was gonna work on it for me but he didn't get my message till i already set it up with D.A.W. I wanted it done asap.

Last edited by denut-L; 04-22-10 at 06:26 PM.
Old 04-23-10, 12:30 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

you are gonna find that the rear end comes lose easily... I miss my SS...will do mine next week or a week after.
Old 04-23-10, 05:29 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by denut-L
Well, i went to pickup my car just now and he told me the exhaust was not sitting right because of the headers, it was leaning more to the right. I will have to readjust it again this coming monday. Also by the axle back there was a very small leak because of a weld that wasn't done right. Didn't notice that until he had put the gaskets on the exhaust system and now that it's flowing much better you can see water coming out of that hole.

As for driving, the car felt like it lost tq at low rpm's maybe because it needs tuning, I don't know. Haven't floored it yet so i'll test it out later. Exhaust sounds almost the same, not much louder.

Hey Rock, or anyone with these headers, ? for you here. Did you notice a lost in power when you had yours installed also? What about the cat-back did you have the same problem with it not sitting right?

Dyno tune tomorrow, can't wait

If I do recall...at FIRST I was not happy with them...especially for the cost of $700 and labor costs of $900 (more expensive install on a GS400). So for $1600 bucks I was pissed. After I gave it a week for the ECU to break-in and after a tune...it was all good!
Old 04-23-10, 08:13 AM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking good Long! Can't wait tosee your numbers after the dyno! Keep us posted. Has anybody installed these themselves? I'm going to get these next batch and $900 for install is ridiculous!
Old 04-23-10, 09:07 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TLcoats
Looking good Long! Can't wait tosee your numbers after the dyno! Keep us posted. Has anybody installed these themselves? I'm going to get these next batch and $900 for install is ridiculous!
lol...it is but you go and ask ANY shop how long it takes to remove and replace exhaust manifolds on a Lexus GS400. They will tell you that book time is approximately 12-13hrs. The engine has to be lifted for the install. The install on the GS430's are about HALF that time. Search and you will not like it.
Old 04-23-10, 09:35 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

LOL, I wonder if it's faster to just cut the exhaust off and then unbolt the remaining part...be safe if anyone tries this.
Old 04-23-10, 09:44 AM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
lol...it is but you go and ask ANY shop how long it takes to remove and replace exhaust manifolds on a Lexus GS400. They will tell you that book time is approximately 12-13hrs. The engine has to be lifted for the install. The install on the GS430's are about HALF that time. Search and you will not like it.
Ouch, Not what i was looking to hear... I guess headers are something im guna have to hold off for a lil bit longer... Sways, TC, and 3.76 LSD coming soon
Old 04-23-10, 10:46 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by denut-L
Labor charged was $650 due to having to custom the headers to make it fit And i replaced all gaskets from headers all the way back to axle-back = $157.72 for a grand total of $818.96 with tax.
Yeah, At first Justin was gonna work on it for me but he didn't get my message till i already set it up with D.A.W. I wanted it done asap.
Ouch, Not what i was looking to hear... I guess headers are something im guna have to hold off for a lil bit longer... Sways, TC, and 3.76 LSD coming soon
wow...no kidding guess i will hold off on these. so wait...why are tranny/engine mounts cheaper. u STILL have to pull engine up to install them just like when you do headers.....
Old 04-23-10, 11:26 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

why are tranny/engine mounts cheaper. u STILL have to pull engine up to install them just like when you do headers.....
because it takes only a few minutes to take off engine mounts
Old 04-23-10, 12:36 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by sam430
because it takes only a few minutes to take off engine mounts
yeah but they are much easier to take out when the engine is hoisted up.... like when u change the mounts...u see what im saying? if labor on the mounts is only a couple hundred doing the same motor lift why are these SOOOOO much more doing the same thing
Old 04-23-10, 01:26 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

I did the SS headers install and I can say that I'd rather do 10 engine mounts than one SS headers. I don't think they really hoist the engine up to do an engine mount install... just push it up with a floor jack. Even if the shop has better tools, it's difficult to get to the bolts.
Old 04-23-10, 02:08 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

yeah but they are much easier to take out when the engine is hoisted up.... like when u change the mounts...u see what im saying? if labor on the mounts is only a couple hundred doing the same motor lift why are these SOOOOO much more doing the same thing
Because there's more bolts to do and they are harder/ more time consuming to do.
Old 04-23-10, 04:46 PM
3UZFTE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Blah blah blah, here are some videos for the people who were interested. Judging by how tired he was earlier, he is probably sleeping now, but he will post up the numbers before too long. Whatever the numbers were, this thing is awesome, and sure as hell looks and sounds mean. I don't think you could take the vette though Long....

Dyno run #1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_66NvpgBNDU

Dyno run #2, #3, and #4..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOrLSfdhC_w

Dyno run #5 after everything was cooled down...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkGYiWKQRdM

And backing out of the dyno...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtnywGJtKwI
Old 04-23-10, 07:16 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Nice! Looking forward to those numbers! Did I hear that right on the video? 306whp on one of the runs? Or was there a mistake in the run?

Quick Reply: Dyno 4/15/10