Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Need Advice on Exhaust, Intake and Midpipe

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-10, 10:01 AM
kenny_evo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice on Exhaust, Intake and Midpipe

Hello All,

I would like to ask all of you for the suggestion on Exhaust, Intake and Midpipe.

I have a 08 GFM AWD IS250

What should i get for Intake? F-Sport? Injen? what other good brands?

What should i get for Midpipe? I think the Megan Midpipe will not work on AWD. So my choice only Invidia? Any other good recommendation?

What should i get for Exhaust? I don't want to be too lound, but at least better than the stock one. Should i go for Tanabe? or HKS Hi-Power? or other brands?

Thanks for taking the time to answer all my questions
Old 03-22-10, 02:52 PM
Gaugster
Advanced

Originally Posted by kenny_evo
Hello All,

I would like to ask all of you for the suggestion on Exhaust, Intake and Midpipe.

I have a 08 GFM AWD IS250

What should i get for Intake? F-Sport? Injen? what other good brands?

What should i get for Midpipe? I think the Megan Midpipe will not work on AWD. So my choice only Invidia? Any other good recommendation?

What should i get for Exhaust? I don't want to be too lound, but at least better than the stock one. Should i go for Tanabe? or HKS Hi-Power? or other brands?

Thanks for taking the time to answer all my questions
I have the JoeZ intake tube and like it.

None of the midpipes will fit the AWD without modification AFAIK. The drivers side exhaust manifold is slightly different for the AWD to make room for the front drive axle. So this effect the fit of any header or midpipe.

Axle back exhaust such as Tanabe or HKS are unifit.

Tanabe is supose to be the least loud but adding an aftermarket midpipe will make it more loud. Just do the mods step by step until your're happy.
Old 03-22-10, 03:39 PM
Split
Rookie

JoeZ intake tube + fujitsubo axleback = perfection

if the fujitsubo axleback is a little too pricey for you, then the tanabe medallion touring is the next best alternative -- and there are plenty available on here!
Old 03-22-10, 06:26 PM
kenny_evo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Gaugster
I have the JoeZ intake tube and like it.

None of the midpipes will fit the AWD without modification AFAIK. The drivers side exhaust manifold is slightly different for the AWD to make room for the front drive axle. So this effect the fit of any header or midpipe.

Axle back exhaust such as Tanabe or HKS are unifit.

Tanabe is supose to be the least loud but adding an aftermarket midpipe will make it more loud. Just do the mods step by step until your're happy.
Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my questions.

Sounds like a huge mod need to be done if i plan to change the exhaust system.

As my understanding (sorry for my stupid newbie). I have to change the whole things? from manifold to header to midpipe to exhaust?

i checked the link under your signature. the set up sounds so sexy, i would love to have the same set up like yours. How much you paid for the whole thing? (if you don't mind i ask )
Old 03-22-10, 06:29 PM
kenny_evo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Split
JoeZ intake tube + fujitsubo axleback = perfection

if the fujitsubo axleback is a little too pricey for you, then the tanabe medallion touring is the next best alternative -- and there are plenty available on here!
Thanks so much for your answer.

We have 2 people recommended JoeZ Intake so far. So i think i should go for JoeZ now

The fujitsubo axle back looks a little bit pricey for me

So i think i will stick with either Tanabe or HKS Hi-Power now
Old 03-22-10, 07:57 PM
Manila Ice
Driver School Candidate

Tanabe
Old 03-22-10, 08:05 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds like a huge mod need to be done if i plan to change the exhaust system.

As my understanding (sorry for my stupid newbie). I have to change the whole things? from manifold to header to midpipe to exhaust?
Depends what you're trying to accomplish.

If you want to just put on an axle-back exhaust you can do that with a pair of car ramps and a couple wrenches in about 15 minutes.

If you want to modify any further back than that, especially on an AWD car, you're looking at a lot of work since it would all be custom parts.

No AWD midpipes exist, no AWD headers are available (Gaugster has a custom set made by Mazzuri, but Mazzuri is no longer in business and never made more than 1 or 2 total sets for AWD far as I know).

If you want mostly quiet Tanabe is your best bang/buck.. find a used one on here for around $400, it's very very simple to install yourself...literally just a handful of bolts and that's it.

If you want more noise something like the HKS would be your ticket and bolts on just as easily.

If you're trying to squeeze every last bit of hp... well, honestly, trade it in for a 350, it'll be a ton cheaper for a ton more power.... but you might could talk someone like PPE into custom making a set of AWD headers and a full exhaust, just expect to spend at least a couple grand on it plus install is a lot more work, and you're not going to pick up even 1/3rd the hp the 250->350 jump gives you.
Old 03-23-10, 07:47 AM
kenny_evo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Depends what you're trying to accomplish.

If you want to just put on an axle-back exhaust you can do that with a pair of car ramps and a couple wrenches in about 15 minutes.

If you want to modify any further back than that, especially on an AWD car, you're looking at a lot of work since it would all be custom parts.

No AWD midpipes exist, no AWD headers are available (Gaugster has a custom set made by Mazzuri, but Mazzuri is no longer in business and never made more than 1 or 2 total sets for AWD far as I know).

If you want mostly quiet Tanabe is your best bang/buck.. find a used one on here for around $400, it's very very simple to install yourself...literally just a handful of bolts and that's it.

If you want more noise something like the HKS would be your ticket and bolts on just as easily.

If you're trying to squeeze every last bit of hp... well, honestly, trade it in for a 350, it'll be a ton cheaper for a ton more power.... but you might could talk someone like PPE into custom making a set of AWD headers and a full exhaust, just expect to spend at least a couple grand on it plus install is a lot more work, and you're not going to pick up even 1/3rd the hp the 250->350 jump gives you.
Thanks very much for the detail explanation. I already start modding my ride now, so i don't think would be a good idea to trade in for a 350.

Base on your explanation i think i can just purchse a Axle Back Exhaust System to switch my stock exhaust system right?
Old 03-23-10, 07:55 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks very much for the detail explanation. I already start modding my ride now, so i don't think would be a good idea to trade in for a 350.

Base on your explanation i think i can just purchse a Axle Back Exhaust System to switch my stock exhaust system right?
You can always sell the modded parts :P Seriously though, $4000 is the 250->350 price difference for 102 hp. Every bolt on available for the 250 (headers, midpipe, intake, axle-back) will be around $2000-2500 (more for some brands) for about 20-30hp. Modding for hp on a 250 is a losing equation. (and that's a RWD one, an AWD one has the extra weight to move, and everything exhaust but the axle-back will be custom so cost more).

But yes, for an axle-back like the tanabe you just unbolt the stock axle-back (5-10 minutes once car is on ramps), remove it, then put the new one in place and bolt it in (another 10 minutes).

Best bang/buck overall will be something like a used tanabe (around 400) and a Joe Z intake pipe (just over 100 bucks)... so for ~$500 you'll pick up roughly 12 rwhp.
Old 03-23-10, 08:48 AM
kenny_evo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kurtz
You can always sell the modded parts :P Seriously though, $4000 is the 250->350 price difference for 102 hp. Every bolt on available for the 250 (headers, midpipe, intake, axle-back) will be around $2000-2500 (more for some brands) for about 20-30hp. Modding for hp on a 250 is a losing equation. (and that's a RWD one, an AWD one has the extra weight to move, and everything exhaust but the axle-back will be custom so cost more).

But yes, for an axle-back like the tanabe you just unbolt the stock axle-back (5-10 minutes once car is on ramps), remove it, then put the new one in place and bolt it in (another 10 minutes).

Best bang/buck overall will be something like a used tanabe (around 400) and a Joe Z intake pipe (just over 100 bucks)... so for ~$500 you'll pick up roughly 12 rwhp.
Hey Kurtz,

Thanks again for your answer, i will check with my local dealer today and see what is the different for 250 > 350. But in the mean while i will look for a Tanabe or HKS Hi-Power Axle back Exhaust too

For the intake what will you choose between Joe Z and Fujita?
Old 03-23-10, 11:13 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Hey Kurtz,

Thanks again for your answer, i will check with my local dealer today and see what is the different for 250 > 350. But in the mean while i will look for a Tanabe or HKS Hi-Power Axle back Exhaust too

For the intake what will you choose between Joe Z and Fujita?

Personally I'd recommend the Joe Z... cheaper, quieter, and retains the stock airbox for colder air.

If you want more noise though any of the short rams like the Fujita might suit you better.
Old 03-23-10, 03:32 PM
Split
Rookie

Exclamation

So i think i will stick with either Tanabe or HKS Hi-Power now
if you're between these two, definitely go Tanabe over the HKS Hi-Power. This is a Lexus, not a Civic Si. the HKS Hi-Power sounds ricey, raspy, and fart-can. The tanabe actually sounds like an expensive exotic sports car, void of any raspy tinny sounds.

even the ebay knock-off tanabe sounds better than the HKS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH_fKQ4STUM

Don't get me wrong! I love HKS products and loud exhausts, but on something like a Supra or a 370z.

As for more power.. Kurtz is absolutely right about moving into an IS350. If you want more power, just take all your mods off your IS250 and put them on your IS350. You can swap the intake, exhaust, 6000k HID bulbs, and wheels no problem.