Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

What about a 4.0L, 400HP V6 from Cosworth?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-10, 07:14 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

At $5,000 installed it'd be hard to ignore.... at over $20,000 plus labor (and probably a transmission upgrade) well...personally I'd find it pretty easy to ignore when for less $ (and retaining a factory warranty) I could trade up to 416 hp in an IS-F with a much better transmission too... but I'm weird like that.

(The IS-F option has the added bonus of currently existing too :P)
Old 10-03-10, 03:10 PM
Secksee
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
At $5,000 installed it'd be hard to ignore.... at over $20,000 plus labor (and probably a transmission upgrade) well...personally I'd find it pretty easy to ignore when for less $ (and retaining a factory warranty) I could trade up to 416 hp in an IS-F with a much better transmission too... but I'm weird like that.

agreed
Old 10-03-10, 08:38 PM
cholmes1
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kurtz

I understand the IS-F comparison and the sarcasm, but you must understand they are two completely different vehicles. Obviously the Cosworth version is fictional at this point, but for those, like myself, who enjoy building engines it is a very exciting prospect. I realize that many will get hung up on the financial aspect of the earlier post, but the concept is what is most intriguing.

If the Cosworth project ever becomes public *unlikely* the car would be in a completely different category than the IS-F both in cost and performance. The IS-F is a great car no doubt, but without mods it struggles to compete even within its own category in terms of performance/handling versus the M cars and the AMG line. A V6 with 400 hp in a race prepped IS would be a track day monster.

Finally, if you are going to flame/hate you don't need to comment. Until we have any new information there is no sense in arguing over theoretical parts/cars vs.
...currently existing cars w/ factory warranties...
Old 11-14-10, 09:00 AM
cholmes1
Rookie

It does not look like there has been any updates on this thread, so I thought I would propose a new idea. I live near a salvage yard and they have an 06 rwd IS250 with a solid body and frame, but a blown motor with over 120K miles. Does anyone know if you could swap and LSx engine into the 2nd Gen Lexus?

I know Matt amongst a few others have swapped LS1's into a 1st Gen IS300 so I assume it is possible, but he brought up an issue about the electrical components in the car. Obviously I am not expecting everything to work, but I am not sure what the ECU controls and what things are standalone.

Any thoughts?
Old 11-14-10, 09:39 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by cholmes1
It does not look like there has been any updates on this thread, so I thought I would propose a new idea. I live near a salvage yard and they have an 06 rwd IS250 with a solid body and frame, but a blown motor with over 120K miles. Does anyone know if you could swap and LSx engine into the 2nd Gen Lexus?

I know Matt amongst a few others have swapped LS1's into a 1st Gen IS300 so I assume it is possible, but he brought up an issue about the electrical components in the car. Obviously I am not expecting everything to work, but I am not sure what the ECU controls and what things are standalone.

Any thoughts?
200-300 hrs labor at least, and a few things won't work (trac/vsc for example) but most will.

This based on the recent 2JZ swap into a 250 by an expert in such swaps.
Old 11-16-10, 10:29 PM
TrueStreet
Driver

Originally Posted by dmocchi
It also uses the same manual transmission on the is 250 with a different clutch plate and new single-mass flywhee (the evora)........Youre right.... you are probably looking at a porsche 991 turbo/gt3 pricetag....if lucky
I know this is replying to an old post, but I didn't see anyone correct him, since the Evora uses a trans axle with the 2GR-FE so there's no way that it uses the IS250's transmission.

There's also good chance that the cosworth setup might not work right since I know all that have tried to fit a 2GR-FSE to a transaxle has had clearance issues, but then again maybe it's easier to swap the transverse motor to the IS.

I'd be more interested in any of the internals being up for sale like the OP was thinking, too bad like cholmes1 confirmed doesn't seem like anything new coming around.

What about a 1GR-FE with a S/C? I know basic kits will bring up the power to 300hp, but the TQ curve will be nicer and that's with low boost and they can probably go higher.
Old 11-17-10, 06:10 PM
ScKcBc
Lexus Test Driver

LSX in an is250 is nice, but you need a standalone which is going to make day to day driving a PITA. I think what it comes down is sometimes reinventing the wheel just isnt worth it. You can upgrade to an ISF and start with such a better platform. Modding an IS350 engine wise is just a waste of time to me. I MIGHT get an intake but if I do, it will probably be for the sound. I see no point in exhaust, headers, etc... This guy on here is going 10.9 with an ISF with bolt ons and nitrous. Why even bother modding the is350? If your going to do that, then we mine as well build an is250 to the ***** and make it have 400hp. That would be a track monster too. Hell, why not build an is220d? It's just a moot point. The cosworth setup WOULD be 20k and after that you'd have a car that wasn't as reliable. If you did get an LSX into that salvage is250, would you really have spent less then a salvage isf? By the time you did a brake upgrade and a suspension and everything else, you'd still spend 40k and you could have had an ISF with bolt ons for that price and the reliability would far outweigh the extra performance from the IS/LSX setup. If you want to build an LSX motor in a decent car, get a salvage 05 vette for 15k and start with that.
Old 11-20-10, 08:34 AM
cholmes1
Rookie

Originally Posted by ScKcBc
LSX in an is250 is nice, but you need a standalone which is going to make day to day driving a PITA. I think what it comes down is sometimes reinventing the wheel just isnt worth it. You can upgrade to an ISF and start with such a better platform. Modding an IS350 engine wise is just a waste of time to me. I MIGHT get an intake but if I do, it will probably be for the sound. I see no point in exhaust, headers, etc... This guy on here is going 10.9 with an ISF with bolt ons and nitrous. Why even bother modding the is350? If your going to do that, then we mine as well build an is250 to the ***** and make it have 400hp. That would be a track monster too. Hell, why not build an is220d? It's just a moot point. The cosworth setup WOULD be 20k and after that you'd have a car that wasn't as reliable. If you did get an LSX into that salvage is250, would you really have spent less then a salvage isf? By the time you did a brake upgrade and a suspension and everything else, you'd still spend 40k and you could have had an ISF with bolt ons for that price and the reliability would far outweigh the extra performance from the IS/LSX setup. If you want to build an LSX motor in a decent car, get a salvage 05 vette for 15k and start with that.
You raise some interesting points, but I would argue that if Cosworth were to produce/release parts they would be unreliable. Having used them in my old GC8 Subaru I can tell you they are extremely reliable and very well built.

Also, the LSx swap was just a thought. I understand that with the complications it would easily crest the cost of an IS-F, but as stated I have no interest in that discussion. This thread is about Cosworth and the potential of new/upgraded internals. My guess is that you have never had the joy of building an engine from scratch and until you have it will be a pointless discussion.
Old 12-09-10, 08:49 PM
TLP_IS350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chrIS250
yeah...our 250 flywheels are heavy as *****. something like 48 pounds?! its nuts...
lol no shizt? i have a 19lb flywheel on my race 240sx and i thought it was too heavy and wanted lighter. sorry, off topic i know.
Old 12-10-10, 06:04 AM
cholmes1
Rookie

ScKcBc
Originally Posted by ScKcBc
This guy on here is going 10.9 with an ISF with bolt ons and nitrous. Why even bother modding the is350? If your going to do that, then we mine as well build an is250 to the ***** and make it have 400hp. That would be a track monster too. Hell, why not build an is220d? It's just a moot point.
Where is this IS-F that ran 10.9 with bolt ons??? I have done a search on CL and DragTimes.

http://www.dragtimes.com/Lexus--IS-F-Drag-Racing.html

Please provide me a link to this F that broke into the 10's, I would love to see the setup.
Old 12-15-10, 11:04 AM
dmocchi
Rookie

Originally Posted by TrueStreet
I know this is replying to an old post, but I didn't see anyone correct him, since the Evora uses a trans axle with the 2GR-FE so there's no way that it uses the IS250's transmission.

There's also good chance that the cosworth setup might not work right since I know all that have tried to fit a 2GR-FSE to a transaxle has had clearance issues, but then again maybe it's easier to swap the transverse motor to the IS.

I'd be more interested in any of the internals being up for sale like the OP was thinking, too bad like cholmes1 confirmed doesn't seem like anything new coming around.

What about a 1GR-FE with a S/C? I know basic kits will bring up the power to 300hp, but the TQ curve will be nicer and that's with low boost and they can
probably go higher.

You did not see anyone correcting me cause i was right.
Just because its normally fitted on rwd cars does not mean it cant be mounted on a mid engine car. Take for instance you project fwd celica, it shares the same transmission on the corollars and mr2. ( a mid engine car)
Another misconceptioons is that manuals "cannot handle" extra hp. This is untrue cause unlike autos, in general, they are applied to a wide range of models. For instance the 6 speed on the a4 is the same one as the one on the s4, and so forth. The advandage ( and achilles ) of manuals is that they arent optimized theway auto r out of the factory.
Old 12-15-10, 12:43 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 583 Likes on 393 Posts

No you are definitely wrong.

The difference is that the Corolla, Celica and MR2 are all mounted transversely, thus they share the same type of platform. The Evora uses the same type of setup with a transverse engine and transaxle. (Integrated differential, 2 output shafts going to each wheel).

The IS has the engine mounted longitudinally, and thus uses a completely different type of transmission setup. (No differential, a single output shafit going to the rear differential).

The most interesting thing about the Evora's setup is not it's implications for the IS, but rather the fact that there now exists a manual transaxle that can be bolted to the GR-series for use in other transverse-mounted setups. (2GR-FE manual trans swap into a Corolla or MR2, etc).

Evora Setup:

Lexus IS-type Setup:

Jeff
Old 12-20-10, 02:27 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Here's something I posted in that existing thread in the ISF forum a few days ago.

Originally Posted by flipside909
When I was at the Paris Motor Show a few months back, I happened to stumble upon this unmarked, right next to the Lotus Esprit concept on the turntable...

Of course when I asked the Lotus Product Reps at the show, all they could tell me was the engine was a V8 Toyota engine...and nothing more. I knew for a fact this is a 2UR-FSE with a Supercharger packed on top of it.

Here are pics of the re-engineered 2GR-FE V6 w/the Supercharger for the Evora S. Yes it's transversely mounted, not longitudinally like Jeff mentioned above. I took these pics at the Paris Motor Show back in October.

Old 12-27-10, 02:56 AM
TrueStreet
Driver

Originally Posted by dmocchi
You did not see anyone correcting me cause i was right.
Just because its normally fitted on rwd cars does not mean it cant be mounted on a mid engine car. Take for instance you project fwd celica, it shares the same transmission on the corollars and mr2. ( a mid engine car)
Another misconceptioons is that manuals "cannot handle" extra hp. This is untrue cause unlike autos, in general, they are applied to a wide range of models. For instance the 6 speed on the a4 is the same one as the one on the s4, and so forth. The advandage ( and achilles ) of manuals is that they arent optimized theway auto r out of the factory.
My celica is RWD, 1985. The 2GR-FSE doesn't fit any transverse vehicle because the drive shafts don't clear the lower block. Many people have tried to fit the FSE version in transverse setups and ran into the same problem. It's probably the same reason why Lotus didn't use the FSE.