Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SRT intake vs. K&N

Old 02-09-10, 04:19 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SRT intake vs. K&N

Hey guys.
I know this has been discussed before and i have searched through the forums. I am trying to decide between the two of these and need people opinion or expertise.

I've read that the SRT boasts 30 hp and 30tq gains but also read that its only minimal gains. I just need an opinion, because im not sure whether im going to do an Apexi Neo down the road or not. I'm leaning towards K&N because of price, but is the difference in gains from the SRT substancial?

Thanks again for the help i know theres people who have experience with these intakes who could help a friend out
Old 02-09-10, 06:01 PM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I have read you will get more gains from K&N/Neo/GoodTuner. If you plan on Neo down the road save the cash and get a K&N or equivalent.
Old 02-09-10, 07:44 PM
kevin.tran
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GSJake
From what I have read you will get more gains from K&N/Neo/GoodTuner. If you plan on Neo down the road save the cash and get a K&N or equivalent.
I went and got a cheap intake and an apexi neo which I turned a few days ago and can't be any happier with the end results. You have a more broad way of tuning with the neo if you're planning on future mods also.
Old 02-09-10, 08:09 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

This is the way i think im guna go. K&N and apexi neo. How hard is the install for the Apexi? also is it easy to remove?
Old 02-11-10, 09:51 PM
kevin.tran
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TLcoats
This is the way i think im guna go. K&N and apexi neo. How hard is the install for the Apexi? also is it easy to remove?
Installing was pretty easy. The Neo will come with instructions also. Just gotta find the right wires to splice into which can be found off BanannaGS's DIY website. If you don't want to splice into your harness Bloomslang or whatever makes one but for 200 something. To remove it you just undo the splicing and your good. The hardest part for me was cutting the ashtray to put the Neo into. After installing it you gotta make sure you PROPERLY set the Neo to your car and TURN OFF corrections under the air map before you start the car. If not than I would just leave the MAF signal wire unconnected till you get to a tuner and connect it before you get it dyno'd.
Old 02-11-10, 11:38 PM
Jrezo
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kevin.tran
Installing was pretty easy. The Neo will come with instructions also. Just gotta find the right wires to splice into which can be found off BanannaGS's DIY website. If you don't want to splice into your harness Bloomslang or whatever makes one but for 200 something. To remove it you just undo the splicing and your good. The hardest part for me was cutting the ashtray to put the Neo into. After installing it you gotta make sure you PROPERLY set the Neo to your car and TURN OFF corrections under the air map before you start the car. If not than I would just leave the MAF signal wire unconnected till you get to a tuner and connect it before you get it dyno'd.
Pics please
Old 02-12-10, 12:33 PM
kevin.tran
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jrezo
Pics please
DIY apexi neo install into ashtray-
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ed-w-pics.html

98-00 GS4 ECU pin layout
Attached Thumbnails SRT intake vs. K&N-sfacii-gs400-ecu.jpg  
Old 02-12-10, 12:34 PM
kevin.tran
Lead Lap

98-00 GS3 ECU pin layout
Attached Thumbnails SRT intake vs. K&N-gs300_98-00.jpg  
Old 02-12-10, 06:05 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Hey guys. I just installed my K&N intake today. My car almost feels slower with less torque than before. I reconnected the battery and it was a little better. Is this normal for the K&N FPIK intake system? Shouldnt i feel more power gain? Thanks for the help
Old 02-13-10, 11:17 AM
kevin.tran
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TLcoats
Hey guys. I just installed my K&N intake today. My car almost feels slower with less torque than before. I reconnected the battery and it was a little better. Is this normal for the K&N FPIK intake system? Shouldnt i feel more power gain? Thanks for the help
from what I've notice I lost some low end torque but gained in the high end. With the AFC you're able to adjust that low end rpms w/ A/F in order to get that K&N Intake more effective.
Old 02-13-10, 04:26 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kevin.tran
from what I've notice I lost some low end torque but gained in the high end. With the AFC you're able to adjust that low end rpms w/ A/F in order to get that K&N Intake more effective.
Yeah its starting to get better as the ecu adjusts to it. But im definately going to buy an AFC tuner. Once i get my borlas put on that'll come next. I think im just going to replace stock mufflers with borlas because i hear messing with the stock exhaust you lose power? Could someone clearify that one?
Old 02-13-10, 04:39 PM
kevin.tran
Lead Lap

It would be fine running 2 1/4 piping from the cats back to your new mufflers. anything wider than 2 1/4 you would lose more low end torque bc no backpressure. I think the FI guys run 2 1/2 to 3 in piping. I removed my resonators replaced it with 2 1/4 piping and magnaflow mufflers n no problems
Old 02-23-10, 12:30 PM
LexusK
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Do all intakes cause the car to feel slower? Im not really the need for speed freak, but I dont really want the car to be slower if I add an intake. All Im really looking for is an intake that will give me a deeper sound and help with the gas mileage (I know its not THAT much but anything helps). I also dont want to put a huge hole in my wallet but Im not going to just get any cheap ebay intake either.

Sorry to hijack your thread TLcoats lol. Just trying to get some advice!
Old 02-23-10, 03:11 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexusK
Do all intakes cause the car to feel slower? Im not really the need for speed freak, but I dont really want the car to be slower if I add an intake. All Im really looking for is an intake that will give me a deeper sound and help with the gas mileage (I know its not THAT much but anything helps). I also dont want to put a huge hole in my wallet but Im not going to just get any cheap ebay intake either.

Sorry to hijack your thread TLcoats lol. Just trying to get some advice!
Hey its all good man. Actually after about a week or so my car got adjusted to the intake and is feeling really quick. It sounds 100% better than stock too, much deeper and a nice Whoosh sound of air. I got mine from auto anything. But i'd recommend Amazon.com i think its $280 bucks or something with free shipping. A good deal!
Old 02-23-10, 07:09 PM
Bovice8710
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's up guys I was wondering if you all had any advice on how to improve the acceleration on my 04 gs 300 I would like to keep it under $1000. I am looking at that srt intake system any advice?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SRT intake vs. K&N