Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

F-Sport Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-10, 10:07 PM
kl323
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very true. I'll call and ask and see what it is.

I do have a trusty mechanic who can do this for me. I shall save up some $$$ first.
Old 02-26-10, 05:17 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by kl323
Hey thanks for the link! I'm definitely interested in the intake.

From my understanding, installation done by anyone else but Lexus will give you only 12 months of warranty. Installation by Lexus will give you 12 months or the car's warranty, whichever is longer... For me, I think it'd be beneficial to do it at a dealer.

Anyway willing to take a stab at how much it'd be/how long it'd take by the dealer?

Why?

It's a box and a tube. What could possibly require "warranty" on it if it's not already broken when you take it out of the package?

And dealers generally get $110/hr, the book install is likely 1.5-2 hours... so $165-220 to do something you can do yourself in 1-2 hours (or less) very easily.

It's really, really, really not hard. If you can turn a screwdriver or wrench and read/understand english you should be done in a couple hours going slowly.
Old 02-26-10, 05:37 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can literally take an intake out and replace it with another one in LESS than 5 minutes.

no lie.....its soooo easy.
Old 02-26-10, 09:47 AM
jay90011
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Did mine in ten minutes and thats because i was taking pics while doing it .. all you need is a 10mm socket , Socket extention , and socket wrench . oh and a screw driver to tighten the clamps. The intake comes with instructions inside the box as well ...
Old 02-26-10, 10:29 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Do you guys drive around with your engine covers already removed or something?

Because honestly, while I agree it's very easy to swap an intake, it's not possible to just remove and reinstall the engine covers in 5 minutes total, let alone also swap the intake (including the lower airbox, which is part of the F-sport job) in anywhere near that little time.

I've been working on cars and engines for many many years, and I've done this specific task too, and I doubt I could do the whole thing (remove engine covers, remove stock intake, couplers, airbox, disconnect MAF; then assemble/install new airbox, new intake with couplers, reconnect maf, replace all engine covers) in much under 30 minutes.

Very easy yes. 5-10 minutes, not so much.
Old 02-26-10, 04:57 PM
dong888
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Do you guys drive around with your engine covers already removed or something?

Because honestly, while I agree it's very easy to swap an intake, it's not possible to just remove and reinstall the engine covers in 5 minutes total, let alone also swap the intake (including the lower airbox, which is part of the F-sport job) in anywhere near that little time.

I've been working on cars and engines for many many years, and I've done this specific task too, and I doubt I could do the whole thing (remove engine covers, remove stock intake, couplers, airbox, disconnect MAF; then assemble/install new airbox, new intake with couplers, reconnect maf, replace all engine covers) in much under 30 minutes.

Very easy yes. 5-10 minutes, not so much.
I think the 5-10 minutes can be true for the second time around, not 1st time (also assuming the engine covers already removed). Speaking for my own experience, generally, it takes about 5 minutes to remove all the engine covers (double that time for very first time). It will take another 30 minutes to install the intake. I figure that the whole job will take me an hour to do. This is including that I double check and triple check all the work and make sure that I do not miss any details (eg: missing a screw or clip here and there). I think that the dealer will charge at least $200 + tax for the job. Everyone has a different senario, so for me:

1. I do not make more than $200+tax per hour, so spending 1 hour of my time is worth it.
2. Also I get the fun factor and experience from doing it.
3. As far as what I can tell, my work performed on this job can be better than lexus certified technicians since I will checking for all the details for my car without scratching it.

As far as warranty goes, a pipe is a pipe and it should not break. Everyone values time vs money differently so we can make the decisions for ourselves.

However, I do not change my own engine oil. Dealer only charges ~$65 out of door and the car gets a car wash and vacuum cleaning inside. I think that price is reasonable at the dealer.