Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

JoeZ Intake

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-10, 10:29 AM
sslexus12
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JoeZ Intake

Hey, I am a new Lexus IS350 owner and was looking to add a few mods to my car I heard JoeZ is one of the best intakes out there for my car, but I have no idea where to find it. I PM'd JoeZ but haven't gotten anything back. Anyone know where i can find one new or lightly used?
Old 02-16-10, 10:31 AM
wuzzy
Driver

You can buy it here. They also accept paypal.
http://l-tunedparts.com/
Old 02-16-10, 10:35 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

^ that's the site right there or post a WTB in the classifieds
Old 02-21-10, 11:01 AM
maxfeez
Driver School Candidate

on that site it is only for the joe z intake pipe. where is the filter?
Old 02-21-10, 11:34 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The filter is the same place it is right now, inside your stock airbox.

That site sells several different drop-in ISx50 air filters if you want to replace the factory one, including ones from Cosworth, HKS, and a stupidly expensive one from TOMs
Old 02-21-10, 01:20 PM
dembou
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kurtz
The filter is the same place it is right now, inside your stock airbox.
Lol. Had a laugh with that one.
Old 02-21-10, 02:14 PM
maxfeez
Driver School Candidate

hahaha so i didnt read the description on that it uses the stock box. how legit is just the pipe though? i've always had just a replacement short ram in my cars. it gave my car a nice lil growl and a whistle at high rpm's. how does just the pipe compare?

op sorry for the highjack
Old 02-21-10, 02:40 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

it's not as loud as the replacement short ram intakes, but it's definitely stealthier.
Old 02-21-10, 05:07 PM
four o two
Intermediate

It's not as loud, given that it's just a tube without baffles - it's louder than stock (from what I've heard - I don't personally have one), but not as loud as a short ram. A short ram is loud because the intake element is exposed.

JoeZ is the only intake that I think has a legit dyno associated with it. 5-6rwhp was the gain. Other "companies" will post some claims and whatnot, but I have yet to see an honest dyno from one. Add to the fact that a short ram is going to take ambient engine compartment air, which is leaps and bounds hotter than the air fed through the stock intake through the grill.

The answer is pretty clear, if you're looking for the most power. Honestly, the intake from Lexus is pretty damn efficient - not a lot of room for improvement, but JoeZ did the best job with it as far as I'm concerned. If you're looking for it just to have a sound and don't really care about making more power (or hell, if you're happy with less power) then buy an Injen, ARC, AEM, whatever, and pay anywhere from 2x to 3x as much.

:edit: BTW, check out this dude's thread. He actually measured IAT's for a short ram vs. a traditional intake.
Old 02-22-10, 03:10 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by four o two

JoeZ is the only intake that I think has a legit dyno associated with it.
5-6rwhp was the gain.
DSport magazine did a dyno Test and Tune and used the K&N intake. They found:

Fitting the IS350 with the K&N Engineering 69 Series Typhoon air intake was a straight-forward operation. The supplied heat shield was installed which according to K&N, "isolates the filter from the engine compartment keeping the air around it cooler." After bolting all the factory accessories and engine covers in place, the IS350 spun the rollers of the DynoJet once again. With the K&N Typhoon air intake installed, a huge increase in power was seen on all points of the dyno graph. The K&N intake's powerband seemed to mimic the factory curve with a 5.9 horsepower increase in peak power. The biggest and most noticeable improvements in power were recorded from 3,000 RPM until 6,000 RPM. In this range, an additional 10-to-18 horsepower were found. Not only did the K&N system bring peak horsepower up to 276.41 whp, it also brought torque up with an additional 9.88 lb-ft; this finalized the torque figure to 248.39 lb-ft.

However....I'd want to tweak the heatshield to ensure a perfect fit to keep out overly hot engine air...
Old 02-22-10, 04:57 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,854 Likes on 2,337 Posts

Originally Posted by RRocket

Fitting the IS350 with the K&N Engineering 69 Series Typhoon air intake was a straight-forward operation. The supplied heat shield was installed which according to K&N, "isolates the filter from the engine compartment keeping the air around it cooler." After bolting all the factory accessories and engine covers in place, the IS350 spun the rollers of the DynoJet once again. With the K&N Typhoon air intake installed, a huge increase in power was seen on all points of the dyno graph. The K&N intake's powerband seemed to mimic the factory curve with a 5.9 horsepower increase in peak power. The biggest and most noticeable improvements in power were recorded from 3,000 RPM until 6,000 RPM. In this range, an additional 10-to-18 horsepower were found. Not only did the K&N system bring peak horsepower up to 276.41 whp, it also brought torque up with an additional 9.88 lb-ft; this finalized the torque figure to 248.39 lb-ft.

However....I'd want to tweak the heatshield to ensure a perfect fit to keep out overly hot engine air...
No doubt the K&N ad was facing the article too...
Old 02-22-10, 04:59 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I wonder how many ads K&N buys in that magazine....heh, anyway, 5.9 is pretty comparable to the Joe Z (which is a ton less $)

I don't see an actual dyno graph posted online for the story to judge the "10-18" claim but I'm pretty skeptical of it and wonder if there's not a shift-spike in there or something
Old 02-24-10, 06:08 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
No doubt the K&N ad was facing the article too...
I've found DSport to be pretty reliable in their dyno testing.
Old 02-24-10, 09:51 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,854 Likes on 2,337 Posts

I've found DSport to be pretty reliable in their dyno testing.
How? Was the hood open? Most dynos are run with the hood open, but I can't ever recall anyone driving very far with an open hood unless it is completely removed. If the hood is open, it's a stupid dyno. It doesn't reflect what will happen in service at all.

There are MANY tricks one can use to push dyno numbers up...
Old 02-24-10, 10:23 PM
four o two
Intermediate

Like I said, legit dyno. No fancy wordplay with this 10-18 hp being "found". I want peak and I wanna know where it occurred.

Again, how much is the FIPK or whatever they're calling it these days from K&N?

Quick Reply: JoeZ Intake