Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Tranny dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-02, 08:30 PM
nudderGS400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny dilemma

Looking for advice....

Purchased my 98 GS4 used 6 months ago. Had the tranny fluid changes at 60K last week. Got the oil changed and the tech tells me I need my tranny fluid changed, it's brown (not red at all). I call the Lexus dealer I had the tranny fluid changed at, and they tel me.....

It was not properly maintained before I purchased it. I should leave it alone and change (drain) the fluid every 15K from now on.

I asked why we shouldn't drop the pan, change the filter, flush it out, scrub the pan and put clean fluid back in it?

They say if I choose to go that route, I should be prepared for the possibility of a $5000 tranny job because the tranny may act real funny afterwards.

I am very confused... I bought the car to DRIVE IT, and when I want to mash the pedal, well.....

:eek:

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-21-02, 08:46 AM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Tranny dilemma

Originally posted by nudderGS400
Looking for advice....

They say if I choose to go that route, I should be prepared for the possibility of a $5000 tranny job because the tranny may act real funny afterwards.

I am very confused... I bought the car to DRIVE IT, and when I want to mash the pedal, well.....

:eek:

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I'm hearing changing the oil and cleaning the pan and filter will cause the tranny to act funny afterwards?????? Doesn't make sense at all. First off, changing the ATF oil alone is as close as possible to what you were requesting to do but they seem to have no problem there. Whatever is on the filter if removed will only "improve" to flow of oil. Whatever is stuck on the pan if removed has nothing to do with the tranny's performance or the possiblility it will act funny.

I say, if your car is under 70K miles and within 4 years of putting into service, any problem with the transmission is under factory warranty. So, now is the time to do what you want to do with the tranny.

There is nothing in the manual that says you need to replace the trans fluid, so the dealer is giving you BS for not having maintained the trans.

When you mash the pedal, what happens?
Old 05-21-02, 02:54 PM
oldguy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes indeed, what happens? My factory manual, for an 01 430 calls for a transmission change at 60,000 for trailer towing or a roof carrier, ect.
The dealer maintence schedule however, wants the transmission changed every 15,000 miles. The book they hand out says "Factory Maintence Schedule". But it includes hundreds of $$$$ of service every year the factory makes no mention of. The head tech, questioned closely, allowed as how he would do the first one, and was not sure he'd do any past that. Something about the metal bits they get out at 15,000.
I am following the factory schedule for warrenty considerations.
Old 05-21-02, 10:15 PM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by oldguy
Yes indeed, what happens? My factory manual, for an 01 430 calls for a transmission change at 60,000 for trailer towing or a roof carrier, ect.
The dealer maintence schedule however, wants the transmission changed every 15,000 miles. The book they hand out says "Factory Maintence Schedule". But it includes hundreds of $$$$ of service every year the factory makes no mention of. The head tech, questioned closely, allowed as how he would do the first one, and was not sure he'd do any past that. Something about the metal bits they get out at 15,000.
I am following the factory schedule for warrenty considerations.
Just replaced the ATF on the RX at 15000 also last month. Although factory recommended service does not require such, it's a good thing to do it as there's got to be small shreds of iron floating in there too small for the filter to catch. The tranny has to break-in too so all those excess metal surface have got to be in the ATF. But the point is factory should pay for warranty work done in the tranny if repaired/ acted funny within the warranty period.
Old 05-21-02, 11:34 PM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dump the tranny and get a getrag 6 speed