Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

IS350 Turbo Kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-10, 11:45 AM
Elite Autosport
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2cute
oh and i forgot to add. if your making a test kit for sale for general public why would it be up to the customer to determine "how crazy they want to get" you should have a plan in place for what you want to do and do it. then if the customer wants to build on it later that is up to them.
I have said this MANY TIMES!! 50whp is the plan!!!!! The motor may hold more but we don't know till it is tried. Once we get a customer that wants to push the stock motor to its limit, which i think will be 100-150whp more than stock. Then we will know what you can SAFELY make on a stock motor/trans. By saying I need to know how far the customer wants to go, means that I will do what I think is best. If that is not enough for the customer then, and only then, if he or she understands the risk of motor failure we will push it till the customer says stop, with the aid of my "professional opinion", or the motor/trans fails. That is how you find the limits of a motor. We will be selling the kit as a 50whp upgrade, that does not mean that it will or can not make more.
Old 04-09-10, 11:55 AM
2cute
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Elite Autosport
I have said this MANY TIMES!! 50whp is the plan!!!!! The motor may hold more but we don't know till it is tried. Once we get a customer that wants to push the stock motor to its limit, which i think will be 100-150whp more than stock. Then we will know what you can SAFELY make on a stock motor/trans. By saying I need to know how far the customer wants to go, means that I will do what I think is best. If that is not enough for the customer then, and only then, if he or she understands the risk of motor failure we will push it till the customer says stop, with the aid of my "professional opinion", or the motor/trans fails. That is how you find the limits of a motor. We will be selling the kit as a 50whp upgrade, that does not mean that it will or can not make more.
well the way you worded it that wasnt implied. i havent read a lot of the thread so i apologize if had stated that before.

and yes trust me i know how power is made and how you find out how far you can go. my point was simply based on your statement regarding the customers wants.
Old 04-09-10, 12:44 PM
AZ JB
Advanced

Do you have a target price point for which you will be selling the kit? Cause for me, that will be the deciding factor on a ~50rwhp upgrade.
Old 04-09-10, 01:30 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by AZ JB
Do you have a target price point for which you will be selling the kit? Cause for me, that will be the deciding factor on a ~50rwhp upgrade.
Yeah... given LMS sold their kit and it make around 50 rwhp for $6000, and nearly 0 people bought them because it was too much $ for too little gain, it seems unlikely you'd be able to price a turbo kit, which ought cost more than a supercharger kit, to be cheaper.

This is a major reason you see no commercial kits though... it's cheaper to buy a 350 instead of a 250 compared to the cost of forced induction... and while it's not "cheaper" to buy an IS-F than a 350 compared to say what the LMS kit cost, it's darn close in $ per hp gained and you retain the warranty with the F
Old 04-09-10, 02:47 PM
L-S-D
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think i will be joining the very few members who have boost on these boards

found me a lms kit off a buddy for a decent price if all goes as planned in 2-3 weeks it should be installed
Old 04-09-10, 02:52 PM
Elite Autosport
Former Sponsor

The 50whp was a number based on your reactions to this thread and what I know will be safe. You guys really need to stop taking that number to heart. It could be more, but we won't know till it happens. All of this has been addressed previously in this thread. If it was solely about cost then why do people spend 1 million on cars when there are faster cars for less. For most people I guess its about doing something different and trying to make their car stand out... With most of you guys I guess its just about cost, and nothing else. Anyway I have to much going on to argue about this. Once the kit is out and done I will post results!
Thanks for the read everyone.
Andy
Old 04-09-10, 06:38 PM
AZ JB
Advanced

The 50whp was a number based on your reactions to this thread and what I know will be safe. You guys really need to stop taking that number to heart. It could be more, but we won't know till it happens. All of this has been addressed previously in this thread. If it was solely about cost then why do people spend 1 million on cars when there are faster cars for less. For most people I guess its about doing something different and trying to make their car stand out... With most of you guys I guess its just about cost, and nothing else. Anyway I have to much going on to argue about this. Once the kit is out and done I will post results!
Andy
Fair enough, Andy. Regardless of the HP then, can you give a RANGE of a possible price tag for the kit?
Old 04-09-10, 06:52 PM
Elite Autosport
Former Sponsor

6kish for a shipped kit.
Old 04-11-10, 01:56 AM
kattanh3
Lexus Test Driver

6kish for a shipped kit.
No love for 2Gen IS300 (3GR-FE) we have lower compression ratio of 10.5:1 == higher safe power

Last edited by kattanh3; 04-11-10 at 02:03 AM.
Old 05-07-10, 03:15 AM
Limpart
Rookie

Andy
Guys I'm sure that you have to make this kit and proove everybody that THERE IS an aftermarket mod for 2GR-FSE!!!
Old 05-08-10, 03:30 AM
kbh
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kattanh3
No love for 2Gen IS300 (3GR-FE) we have lower compression ratio of 10.5:1 == higher safe power
+1 i wish someone makes a turbo kit as well!
Old 05-08-10, 03:37 AM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they have been made, just didnt sell very well, around 5 known in usdm right now, not sure there has been one made for the 2is 300
Old 05-08-10, 06:18 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mv350
they have been made, just didnt sell very well, around 5 known in usdm right now, not sure there has been one made for the 2is 300
Those are supercharger kits... I'm unaware of any commercial turbo kit ever made, probably because with only 5-6 lbs being easily done on the engine there's little point to making a turbo kit (which'd cost more than a supercharger kit) when virtually nobody wants to even pay for the supercharger kit at full price.
Old 05-09-10, 01:43 AM
four o two
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I disagree with the bolded piece. You're the expert. You're building the kit and should be able to calculate what is and is not reasonable. You're in business as a professional and expected to exercise your judgment to decide what is and is not possible, reasonable, or prudent. There are many ways to figure out these numbers with margins for safety before you ever turn a wrench.

I agree 50 whp should be easy and safe, but saying the customer is the arbiter of what you'll guarantee isn't good business. Pick a target based on your professional opinion, hit it, and call it good.
Agree. Credibility lost. This is why the 2IS aftermarket will never see the successes of other platforms.