Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

IS350 Turbo Kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-10, 01:35 PM
Elite Autosport
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys are missing the point..... Everyone complains about not having aftermarket options for the 2is..... Well...... Those options are going to cost money. Now I will say for the 3rd time..... The 8k was a high guess INSTALLED HERE That includes shipping the car and install....

As for the stratified burn, no that will not be effected because the boost will make up for the loss in pressure. The reason you can use a high compression ratio is because of that process. It cools the air charge before it is compressed. So the lower compression would help decrease the detonation risk.

Our plan is NOT to do lower compression pistons on the IS350-250 unless the customer wants crazy power. Now do I think that we can make more than 50whp....?? Yes I do but I won't know till someone has the ***** to do it......
Old 03-09-10, 02:24 PM
GPHLexus
Driver School Candidate

Understanding that you don't think it's really necessary to lower the compression ratio, it still seems like that high CR is going to put a pretty tight limit on the power you can make with a turbo. Why not use a thicker head gasket to lower the CR slightly? Cheaper than pistons, and it might allow you to have a little bit more of a safety margin as well.
Old 03-09-10, 02:54 PM
Gaugster
Advanced

Well, here we go again, kicking the ‘can’ further down the road. Anyone can buy a fast car BUT that is not the point of tuning up your ride. Common sense, Cost effectiveness, Practicality; a Tuner Jedi crave not these things.

I will respect the OP and not post the S. African SC video here even though I am a big fan.

So that’s my rant.

Just for clarification, the 2nd gen IS engines have three modes of operation.

Stratified injection mode is a lean (~16:1) burn that happens only during the warm up phase upon engine starting. It will last only a few minutes or so until the engine gets warm enough. This is used to heat the Cats as fast as possible.

The engine will then switch to a Stoichiometric (~14.7:1) burn for normal driving. This is able to happen as direct injection of fuel has a cooling effect within the combustion chamber. Regardless of what mode the engine is running in.

The last mode is where the engine burns more rich than Stoich’. It happens around 4k RPM under heavy load conditions like full throttle.

Good luck Elite Autosport!!!!!

Last edited by Gaugster; 03-09-10 at 03:50 PM.
Old 03-09-10, 03:00 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by 06isDriver
Isnt the whole point of the stratified burn to capitalize on the high compression ratio for a more efficient use of the fuel?

Sooo wouldnt it stand to reason that if we remove the high compression ratio we could also do without the statified burn?
Not exactly. It only uses stratified charge effect on cold cycle (at least we know this for sure about the 2GR-FSE), but the problem is the engine management won't know this feature is missing so there may be driveability issues on cold cycle. The only thing I'm concerned about it getting past cold cycle without having a sputtering, coughing engine because it can't light the mixture at the plug. I'd also be pretty unhappy if it fouls plugs on a regular basis because they're not getting hot enough on cold cycle to keep the porcelain clean.

So I'm hoping they've considered this and at least tried to put something in place so the engine won't be a handful until it gets some waste heat in it. That would be very disappointing from my perspective.
Old 03-09-10, 03:06 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Elite Autosport
You guys are missing the point..... Everyone complains about not having aftermarket options for the 2is..... Well...... Those options are going to cost money. Now I will say for the 3rd time..... The 8k was a high guess INSTALLED HERE That includes shipping the car and install....

As for the stratified burn, no that will not be effected because the boost will make up for the loss in pressure. The reason you can use a high compression ratio is because of that process. It cools the air charge before it is compressed. So the lower compression would help decrease the detonation risk.

Our plan is NOT to do lower compression pistons on the IS350-250 unless the customer wants crazy power. Now do I think that we can make more than 50whp....?? Yes I do but I won't know till someone has the ***** to do it......
how are we missing the point? it was never assumed that it was going to be COST EFFECTIVE for a forced induction solution for the 2is.

those who assume that it is or can be are either 1. dreaming about forced induction but will never be able to pony up the money during their 2is ownership period (as four_o_two calls them, pipe-dreaming kiddos), or 2. have no idea about the trials and tribulations of going down that route.

yes, it is a "you've got to pay if you want to play" proposition, but if all that's being promised/offered/said are bragging rights and a poor power/price ratio, what else can you (or any other company looking to get its feet wet) justify such an expensive proposition?

the community is not trying to give elite autosport or any other company a hard time, but we've been down that road before, and it's a rough one. fool me once, shame on me; fool me twice, shame on you.

btw, it'll be two months since you guys have thrown your hat into the ring. what i find odd is that you can't find a willing participant (or as you might say, someone who has the "*****") to offer up their 2is as the sacrificial lamb for the community's sake? shouldn't that tell you something about the cost effectiveness of your company's proposition?

thanks for reading.
Old 03-09-10, 04:09 PM
Elite Autosport
Former Sponsor

We are in the home stretch of the ISF project. The motor will be going together this week. Maybe once this project is done we will be able to convince you guys that we know what we are doing and can make a product worthy of being placed on a Lexus.

I have thought about the head gasket idea. My goal is to make 100whp without touching the motor. So we will see.
Old 03-09-10, 05:04 PM
BTLS250
Driver

Good luck on your project Elite Autosport! I think even though many are doubtful, everyone is still keeping their fingers crossed.

And I believe the saying is actually, "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me," President Bush

Originally Posted by projectdna
fool me once, shame on me; fool me twice, shame on you.
Old 03-09-10, 05:19 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

^ well, you get what i'm saying.
Old 03-15-10, 05:04 PM
is350drive
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nothing yet?
Old 03-15-10, 05:19 PM
Elite Autosport
Former Sponsor

Nothing yet.... But the good news is the Built ISF motor is going together! The ISF headers are prototyped and the car is getting shipped for those on the 22nd. The plug and play F/IC is almost ready, Ported intake is on the market, and that same car for the headers is getting a supercharger! The things I can do when I have a car here!
Old 03-29-10, 11:33 PM
ilv1004s
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

SOOO....

Any updates?
Old 03-30-10, 12:34 AM
someboy
Lexus Test Driver

well another disappointing news the SC kit from fox marketing failed... so... yeah...
Old 03-30-10, 12:41 AM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Elite,

Hopeless? I think not.

Car blows up...what reassurance you guys at elite have? Give him back the money THEY paid to be the guinea pig? Call it even? HAH.

If someone is going to be guinea pig they need reassurance unlike other companies. Person who volunteers as the test car should get the kit at least 3/4 or even better a free kit. Their car 40k, your kit X,000. What's worth more?

Do it for free once, and i'm pretty sure everything else will look promising.
Old 03-30-10, 12:55 AM
uz07lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very intrested.
Old 04-02-10, 12:48 PM
someboy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 2slow
Elite,

Hopeless? I think not.

Car blows up...what reassurance you guys at elite have? Give him back the money THEY paid to be the guinea pig? Call it even? HAH.

If someone is going to be guinea pig they need reassurance unlike other companies. Person who volunteers as the test car should get the kit at least 3/4 or even better a free kit. Their car 40k, your kit X,000. What's worth more?

Do it for free once, and i'm pretty sure everything else will look promising.

Quick Reply: IS350 Turbo Kit