Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Lightweight pulley kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-19, 08:10 PM
TrueGS300
Racer

Received 463 Likes on 377 Posts
Default Lightweight pulley kit

Anyone seen or have any experience with one of these kits? https://www.shopnonstoptuning.com/st...NST00215K.html Seems pretty good for the price. Thoughts on if there's really much to be gained? Not interested in under-driving, but I'm all for light weight on the rotating members.
Old 11-10-19, 02:57 PM
TrueGS300
Racer

Unfortunately that particular kit wont fit because the water pump pulley is only for the fan clutch models. But Drifmotion and PHS make these too. I wanted the gold they offer to match my BC cam gear. But all the pulleys are available between several manufacturers. As I have been looking, I'm seeing the lightweight crank dampers these kits are offering. After doing some research, supposedly inline engines don't really need dampers that much, its more for noise cancellation. Wasn't even thinking about doing the crank pulley, but if it's safe.. why not? That would be the biggest benefit. Any reason why not?

This is according to Unorthodox racing to a customer that asked about it. Still.. wouldn't want to chance ruining my crank or bearings if there is a concern.

---> From Unorthdox Tech

People are getting the pulleys confused with the type found on 90 degree V8 and
V6 engines. The pulleys on most of the new import engines have a rubber ring
incorporated into them which is there for noise suppression from the A/C
compressor, P/S pump and the alternator, What the manufacturers call NVH (Noise
Vibration & Harshness) when referring to passenger compartment noticeable noise
and vibration. If you look at some of the pulleys on older imports there is no
rubber to be found. I have samples of mostly Honda, An Altima, 1.8L Eclipse, 2.3L
Ford, Chrysler 2.2L, 1.8L VW and a few others all with no rubber. The purpose of
a traditional harmonic damper is to keep the crank from cracking which is not
necessary on your engine. The pulleys have been out there running for over 5
years and there have been no complaints to us. There is a lot of internet hearsay
about the pulleys, anyone saying anything bad has not actually tried the parts.
You really have nothing to worry about. If you would like to read more info on
the subject, visit the FAQ section on our web site or you can contact me directly
at (631)-586-9525 Ext. 12

Joe ///M
Old 11-10-19, 06:27 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

you wanna decrease rotational mass on your rotating assembly, than buy a torque converter that has a billet front cover and smaller overall diameter.
Old 11-10-19, 06:57 PM
TrueGS300
Racer

That would be beneficial too, yes. Substantially more work and more expensive with a good deal of down time needed to be planned for also though.
Old 11-11-19, 05:18 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

yes but soooooo worth it.
Old 11-11-19, 06:58 PM
TrueGS300
Racer

Ideally all these components being lighter weight would compliment each other. But for the price, I think this might be worth it. Easy job and pretty cheap.
Old 11-16-19, 05:20 AM
TrueGS300
Racer

As a close to this thread, I ended up getting the 3 piece pulley set from Driftmotion for $110 after options (like color choice). I have read too many for and against info about light weight crank pulleys, so opted to leave that one alone. Also opted to leave the tenssioner pulley alone because it is too small to spend over $100 on just it (cost more because of the bearing it has). I feel the water pump and power steering pulleys are the largest. So for the price, you get them and the alternator lightened up and no risk of damage, and no under-driven component concerns my messing with the crank.

Install was easy. The GS has a lot of room in front of the serpentine system. The WP just unbolts with 4 10mm nuts. The P/S pulley is held on with a 17mm nut and just slides off (if yours isn't rusted). And the Alt uses a 22mm nut that can be impacted from the bottom of the car with a swivel.

Nothing is noticeable by any stretch of the imagination. But they are definitely lighter than each pulley removed and clean up the engine bay with nice fresh anodized surfaces. Good mod for the price.