Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Has anyone had to replace their Catalytic Converter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-10, 03:43 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

probably the surface area of the metal, from looking at it in the pictures above, is more than the ceramics. Thus occupying more space and more restrictive. That would negate the cell count.

Is the inlet different size?
Old 03-03-10, 07:52 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by sam430
probably the surface area of the metal, from looking at it in the pictures above, is more than the ceramics. Thus occupying more space and more restrictive. That would negate the cell count.

Is the inlet different size?
Actually it is the metal with the lower surface area for two reasons: The metal edge presented to the flow is thinner/stronger than the ceramic. The larger passage area has less total surface area reducing the effect of surface tension friction.
Old 03-03-10, 11:14 AM
GSRSRT
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got a question for replacing these headers wit OBX will you have to replace all O2 sensors wit D-foulers or just 1
Old 10-01-13, 08:12 PM
Mombo
Driver School Candidate

Default replacement cost

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
After the install of the new cats did your car feel any better? Peppier or more responsive?
How much is a good price to pay for replacement cats upper and rear?
Old 10-16-13, 07:38 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

My car's CEL is on... been suffering from a "bad" catalytic converter. When I first bought the car, the CEL came on a few weeks after. U returned it and they did a repair. They stated at the dealer that one of the catalytic converters had a tiny crack in it & that they soldered it back up and installed new gaskets. CEL stayed off for about a year. It came back on after that year and it's been on & off, mainly ON ever since... My baby sounds like a truck now but very unnoticeable compared to other cars. =-(..... I know ima need to replace the catalytic converter. I purchased all the gaskets to do the with exhaust system a while back. So when I purchase the new catalytic converter, I'll install all the gaskets as well. I hope it's just a gasket and not an actual converter. I found an OEM standard catalytic on eBay for around $200. I know this is not Lexus quality but it's just temporary for now. My emissions are due 3/2014.. Heat thought I'd share my situation here with everyone. I will post pics and my solution soon as I find it. =-/... I hope everyone had they're issue resolved.
Old 11-08-13, 06:14 PM
DWCOILE
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

there are A?M cats on eBay for 136.00, or an old school trick... buy 4 spark plug non foulers, 2 per side of needed, drill 1/2 hole through 2 of them and install the rear (down stream) oxygen sensors in drilled onesand it should be flush once installed, then put a second non-fouler that has not been drilled on the end of the drilled fouler and sensor then install that into the pipe. End result non-drilled fouler in pipe, drilled fouler in then the sensor, looks funny but will allow you to pass emissions.
Old 11-23-13, 09:35 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Im currently on this problem. CE light on and my guy at the shop said it read both catalytics. Before I order new OEM converters, ima have him thoroughly check for exhaust leaks, bad gaskets, etc. To ANYONE suffering from this prob, I know its expensive the OEM way but ITS THE BEST WAY TO GO. Ive seen ppl use aftermarket and are back at the shop with the same problem, same codes, etc. Just pay the OEM way and if installed properly, the problem will go away. Thats my advice on this issue. When I lift the car up in the shop, ill try to take pics to share with you guys, And my progress as I go. Good luck to anyone with these problems! They truly are a *****!
Old 11-23-13, 10:51 AM
MasterKwan
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

17400 1845050350 converter assembly, with catalyst. Converter assy, 4300cc 32-valve dohc efi; gs430 (uzs161) $1053.96 1845050350
I think for less than 2 grand I could come up with an emissions legal solution. You can buy a complete high mileage GS400 for 3-5K. I'd be hard pressed to justify a $2000 repair for a 13 year old car.

First thing I'd so is examine the cats and if they're not melted or coming apart, I'd "no-fouler" them. 'cause the code doesn't say they're not working. It's saying they're not working as well as they used to.
Old 11-25-13, 07:34 AM
DWCOILE
Driver

I totally agree with MasterKwan, no need to spend that kind of money. the cats get slightly blocked over time and running cheap fuel. Another solution~~~you can remove the cats and have them sandblasted, look at the photos by JBrady and see the 3rd photo, that is a contaminated can, Sandblast the residue and you have a new cat
Old 11-25-13, 07:37 AM
DWCOILE
Driver

Also I am all for OEM parts but wen you can get an A/M replacement that cost only 10%-12% of the OEM. OMG why not?
Old 11-25-13, 07:42 AM
DWCOILE
Driver

GSRSRT, in reference to the OBX headers, if you run converters you will not need to run the Non-foulers, I did on my car BC I gutted the cats altogether, by running the non-foulers It pushes the 02 sensor farther out from the exhaust flow reducing the gases being read. I do not recommend this on any street driven car.
Old 01-04-14, 02:38 PM
GsLex02
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I had my headers and both front cats replaced 4,000 miles ago but I still get a heavy rotten egg smell anytime I get on the parkway. I'm thinking the 3rd cat is bad? I have a 2002 Gs300 and still not sure if that is a cat or resanator behind the front cats but is there a chance this is bad and since there is no sensor my car doesn't know?
Old 02-15-17, 06:57 PM
Oseberg
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aneidiaz
Im currently on this problem. CE light on and my guy at the shop said it read both catalytics. Before I order new OEM converters, ima have him thoroughly check for exhaust leaks, bad gaskets, etc. To ANYONE suffering from this prob, I know its expensive the OEM way but ITS THE BEST WAY TO GO. Ive seen ppl use aftermarket and are back at the shop with the same problem, same codes, etc. Just pay the OEM way and if installed properly, the problem will go away. Thats my advice on this issue. When I lift the car up in the shop, ill try to take pics to share with you guys, And my progress as I go. Good luck to anyone with these problems! They truly are a *****!
Aneidias, why are you so pro OEM? I paid $2500 for my 1998 LS400 about 5 years ago and I can get another one today for $2000!

There is NO WAY IN HELL I would ever pay $3600 to fix it when I can get another one cheaper. So, why would I ever pay more for OEM parts than my car is worth?

Yeah, it's a nice car, and I like it, but it's not worth it to spend more money fixing it than it would cost to buy another one. That's just plain stupid.
Old 05-26-17, 07:21 PM
Engine11
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JBrady
In addition to being illegal the car will loose low end response and power if cats are removed and top end power will change very little maybe 5hp.

GS400 has 2 cats one on each manifold (or header )
GS430 has 3 cats, two like GS400 and one center cat as the two pipes join.

The GS430 cats do not flow as high as the GS400 cats but they still flow well.

The stock cats are NOT a "blockage".

The metal cats are more durable than the ceramic cats but neither are likely to fail under normal use.

Here are some pics. First is a BMW metal core, next is a ceramic core, final is a damaged "clogged" ceramic cat.
So question-my car is running fine but the check engine light is on saying I need a CAT- what would you suggest
Old 06-10-23, 09:45 AM
TommyB74
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
After the install of the new cats did your car feel any better? Peppier or more responsive?
I'm the original owner of a pearl blue 2002 LS 430---209,000. Recently replaced right front Catalytic Converter. Purchased a Davico for $190.00 online. Windemere Auto in Naples Fl charged me an additional 25% for the part. Installation was $110.00. I also replaced the thermostat plus new antifreeze. The car now runs beautifully. No hesitation and smooth. The engine light is off. Gas mileage increased to 25 MPG on the highway from 21 MPG and now 22 MPG around town from 19 MPG. I'm very happy with the professionalism with the group at Windemere and pleased with the performance. Lexus quoted me $2,400 for the installation and purchase of a catalytic converter---WOW. From the forum, I have heard positive remarks concerning Davico. Car now runs excellent.