Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Ceramic Coating Headers/Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-09, 01:31 PM
PPEHeaders
Sponsor

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Ceramic Coating Headers/Exhaust

I am posting this for those who are not sure what the need for ceramic coating your headers or exhaust is, or what the advantages are. Ceramic coatings serve 3 major purposes:
Thermal barrier, Corrosion resistance and Appearance

Thermal Barrier:
Temperature reductions exceeding 300°F were seen when Jet-Hot STERLING was applied to standard exhaust components. Car Craft also measured temperature reductions of over 60% on header surfaces following the application of JET-HOT.
Because of its low emissivity and insulating effect, STERLING creates a thermal barrier to protect headers - inside and out - while reducing heat transfer into the engine compartment. But the good news goes beyond protecting headers from thermal fatigue. Plugs, wires, fan motors, water pumps and other heat-sensitive parts get a break, too, in a cooler environment. Plus, power normally increases and safety for racers improves with lower temperatures.

Horsepower gains depend on many variables, including engine size, type and setup; cooling system performance; ambient temperatures; and other factors. Nevertheless, STERLING will normally boost power when applied to headers for two reasons. First, the coating promotes denser, more potent fuel/air charges by insulating the engine bay from exhaust heat. At the same time, it accelerates the pulsed-vacuum effect on “tuned” headers, resulting in more effective scavenging of cylinders. The increased velocity of exhaust gases produced by higher exit inertia not only clears each cylinder more quickly; it also draws in the next fuel/air charge more efficiently.

Corrosion resistance:
Jet-Hot coatings have shown to outlast other coatings at resisting corrosion in a salt spray test. Most other coatings fail after 1000hrs where Jet-Hot coatings last over 5000hrs.

Jet-Hot also offers a limited lifetime warranty against corrosion and flaking of their coatings.

Appearance:
Jet-Hot offers coatings in several colors. Most popular are the Sterling coatings that give the appearance of polished aluminum and can be polished with aluminum polish. They also offer a higher temperature coating that comes in a semi-gloss black.

More informationon Jet-hot coatings can be found on their website.
Old 12-02-09, 02:10 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't wait to see these
Old 12-02-09, 02:13 PM
AZ JB
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iSuxeL
I can't wait to see these
And you won't be disappointed! They are probably among the highest quality of headers I have ever seen in my life. I can't wait to see what people get with them on the track. I'm planning a track day here very soon hopefully.
Old 12-02-09, 03:39 PM
aliu603
Lexus Champion

can't wait to compare the IMF ones to the PPE ones!
Old 12-02-09, 03:43 PM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

I spoke to PPE about headers and they are asking a lot for 16 horses.
Old 12-02-09, 03:44 PM
aliu603
Lexus Champion

well yea lol i think it was upwards of 1000 dollars near the 1200/1300 range i believe even with the group buy. gotta check those numbers though
Old 12-02-09, 03:58 PM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by aliu603
well yea lol i think it was upwards of 1000 dollars near the 1200/1300 range i believe even with the group buy. gotta check those numbers though
well I didn't want to be the one to write numbers, but yup, since the cat is out of the bag... almost $1K (before labor to install) for 16hp?

I'm sure they are uber hi-quality but no thanks.
Old 12-02-09, 04:19 PM
PPEHeaders
Sponsor

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Our headers are geared more towards max power gains and quality. We use ported merge collectors which can add $300+ to the cost of the headers. If we used a formed tube collector (piece of tube that has been streached around the runners) like all the other available headers the cost would be much less, but the power gains would not be as good.

Some of the advantages of our headers:
1.Ours our welded on both sides of the flanges and ported on the inside.
2.Ours are tuned and equal length which is fairly difficult and adds welds and labor time, but again you get more power that way.
3.Ours are made here in the US which is again more expensive.
4.Though ours are made of mild steel, they are 16 gauge (.065" wall thickness) US standard steel, and are stronger than the very thin Chinese grade 304 stainless you see on many of the cheaper headers available.
5.ECT Cats are EPA and OBDII compliant and made in the USA

I will post later with pictures in more detail. I was just making this thread to show the advantages of a ceramic coated mild steel header vs a non coated stainless steel header.
Old 12-02-09, 04:23 PM
aliu603
Lexus Champion

sorry ppe not trying to bash on your headers or anything at all! i'm sure they're of the best quality and everyone who gets them will love them. i'm just waiting on the IMF headers and will decide which to get after i can make a side by side comparison of them!
Old 12-02-09, 04:43 PM
xuningshen
Lexus Test Driver

1k for headers isn't thatttttt bad i don't think. also ppl buy exhausts for a little under 1k for 5-10 hp maybe? yea you get better looks and sound also. a little over 1k isn't bad for this product gives the 16 rwhp gain and is a quality piece. Also if you want more sound i'm sure this is the way to go too haha
Old 12-02-09, 04:55 PM
NoHoIS350
Pole Position

Yes it does seem to be high for the gains but what ya gonna do either buy or don't...For all you non Motocrossers a full exhaust header pipe ohh about 2 feet maybe, then a silencer again full set up may cost you $800+..if i look t that way 1000 aint bad for the system..Going fast isn't cheap..Me just waiting for the options..But the PPE headers seem nice.

Here go here you can see what we pay for an exhaust..Yes there are cheaper ones but you get the idea. 2 pieces that's it.

http://www.procircuit.com/store/pc/v...idCategory=254
Old 12-02-09, 05:08 PM
IAMJAVEDG
Lexus Champion

for PPE and 16 horses on a 2IS is a massive gain... so the price is reasonable if you think about it
Old 12-02-09, 05:28 PM
aliu603
Lexus Champion

that's true, one of the few go faster parts available for the IS, so props to PPE being the first to make headers with good gains!
Old 12-02-09, 05:38 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

$1k is cheap IMO. I spent $1k for my K20 header.
Old 12-02-09, 06:00 PM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Dont' forget install is probably another $300 or so... so your almost looking at $1,300 for 16HP.

Put a $1,300 full exhaust on an Evo and you get 35-40HP.

The IS350 is just not a mod friendly car, and I would personally never spend $1,300 including install for 16HP, where you may feel a sliiiiiiight increase in HP.

For those thursting for more and more mods to add HP, I'll say you should of got an Evo.

Quick Reply: Ceramic Coating Headers/Exhaust