Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Single turbo setup for GS400?

Old 11-03-09, 09:51 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Single turbo setup for GS400?

Is there a way to put a single turbo...not a big one, maybe small to mid-sized on my GS400 without the need to change engine internals, injectors, fuel pumps, fuel rails etc etc?

I already have the Apexi Neo as a mild tuning device and have headers and exhaust for better exhaust flow.

What size turbo (and make/model) should I look for and is this even possible? Keeping everything stock and adding a small(ish) turbo. Figure if I am running around 280-285whp right now something that could give me around 340-350whp say on a low PSI so I don't damage anything on the stock V8 engine.

If I keep the car I would go this route over a supercharger if I could do this cost effectively. I DO NOT NEED a show type setup...it doesn't need to look pretty. Utilizing used parts could I complete this project for around $4K?
Old 11-03-09, 10:11 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

talk to ricky or ttturbopimp
they should be able to give you info as they both have turboed gs400's
Old 11-03-09, 12:28 PM
DumpedGS
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what do people do for manifolds? i think that would be the biggest hurdle...the rest can easily be DIY fabricated...and results in low costs...
Old 11-03-09, 12:45 PM
lexus ASM
Driver

Originally Posted by DumpedGS
what do people do for manifolds? i think that would be the biggest hurdle...the rest can easily be DIY fabricated...and results in low costs...
That is the problem with a single turbo design on a V motor. The best way to do it is use an equal length header, and decent merge collector. Then have a T3 or T4 flange welded on, so the location of the turbo is roughly in the same location as the CAT would be.

The biggest problem I can foresee is fuel management on an automatic vehicle. The NEO is not going to allow enough adjustment to "safely" make good power (350+) on a stock block. The only real way to do would be a custom stand alone, and here is where the big money comes in. There are many stand alones out there but nobody makes a harness to adapt them to a GS400. The stand alone needs to read all the sensors our ecu does.

We need somebody who has a turbo GS4 to chime in and explain how they are tuning and managing the car.
Old 11-03-09, 12:55 PM
3UZFTE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys, I am in the process of a 92' LS400 single turbo budget build. There is a good amount of fabrication work, so unless you can do most of this stuff yourself, it can be very costly. With that being said, if you haven't checked out lextreme.com, clubna-t.com, and v-eight.com, they all have pretty good information as far as builds, flow, tools, etc. With all that being said, it is def. possible but you will need to do some modifications to keep mount a turbo in the engine bay. Go for it, but I wouldn't boost the stock motor having such small con rods. This is NOT my car, but these are some pictures from an individual that is helping me build mine.

He is using a factory manifold on the driver side that flow into a flex coupler crossover pipe, that feeds into a 3" stainless header he made himself with a T3 flange welded on the end. As far as FMU, he upgraded to 315cc injectors from a 7M cressida or supra, and is running a 1:1 (fuel:boost) FPR, on factory ECU. He is also running a GT35R, ball bearing turbo. That being said if you can fab up a passenger manifold, you can fab the piping. However if you don't really like to or have the tools necessary, it would probably cost a pretty penny. It sure helps to have a metal shop to trust to help you with any ideas and thoughts. PM Me if you would like to see some more pictures or some info as he has bedazzled me with it for the last week, and I am still waiting for pictures of his FPR. There is tons of information about turbo'd 1UZs over at lextreme.com, just trying to help.

Last edited by 3UZFTE; 11-04-09 at 02:12 PM.
Old 11-04-09, 05:51 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks! I keep hearing about how WEAK the connecting rods are on the GS400 models. Even if I supercharge the car eventually is this a definitely needed item or is it just a safety precaution? assuming a 350-400whp goal.
Old 11-04-09, 06:35 AM
Rising_Sun
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Swap an Aristo motor and call it a day.
Old 11-04-09, 07:51 AM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3UZFTE your pic's are not working.. ?
Old 11-04-09, 12:15 PM
evil00017
Pole Position

Mounting a turbo under the car makes for less fabrication. Mounting at the ypipe or something. Thats what I would do if I were to do this. And yea I think you could keep a setup like this under 4k because there is so much less fabrication.
The following users liked this post:
djr48312 (10-18-21)
Old 11-04-09, 12:25 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by evil00017
Mounting a turbo under the car makes for less fabrication. Mounting at the ypipe or something. Thats what I would do if I were to do this. And yea I think you could keep a setup like this under 4k because there is so much less fabrication.
y-pipe area? I don't know if there's enough ground clearance. See other comments below

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
Thanks! I keep hearing about how WEAK the connecting rods are on the GS400 models. Even if I supercharge the car eventually is this a definitely needed item or is it just a safety precaution? assuming a 350-400whp goal.
Rods are only needed at higher HP levels. There have been several SC GS running for years with stock internals, including my car which is @ 400 rwHP.

If you are not looking for more than 400HP, Supercharging is a viable option IMO.

I think the logical place for a turbo is down low between the radiator and engine. The fab work to make headers run there looks like a lot more work then the bracketry to install a supercharger.

DO a search for morris. He ran an SC for a long time, then later moved to single turbo.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 11-04-09 at 01:42 PM.
Old 11-04-09, 12:34 PM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

How about a remote turbo if you're going to run low boost? Just a thought.
djr48312 (10-18-21)
Old 11-04-09, 02:12 PM
3UZFTE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fixed the links, sorry guys.
Old 11-04-09, 04:36 PM
evil00017
Pole Position

Have you thought about that s/c setup that was recently done using the lextreme fish bracket? https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ged-gs430.html . It should be right around the price ur looking for too.
Old 11-04-09, 09:30 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
Rods are only needed at higher HP levels. There have been several SC GS running for years with stock internals, including my car which is @ 400 rwHP.

You will need a trans before you need rods.

Honestly, 4k for a turbo in the engine bay is no where near possible if you are not doing most of the labor your self. Remote mount is the only shot you have with that budget and even then I'm skeptical. Also, if you go engine bay route, you will be throwing away all that money you spent on installing the headers.
djr48312 (10-18-21)
Old 11-04-09, 10:52 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GS FONZy

You will need a trans before you need rods.
True

I have the TC, valvebody and then went back to stock gearing on my LSD.

I don't get bounce unless I jump hard off the line. 2nd gear and beyond are trouble free. As long as I give a little TLC I can get away with it. Looking into a built tranny down the road tho.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Single turbo setup for GS400?