Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

How do you get 300 whp out of this car without spraying it?

Old 10-30-09, 10:27 AM
babyray
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How do you get 300 whp out of this car without spraying it?

is350....Can it be done? Just got this car two weeks ago. Been reading the forums like crazy. Looks like you can do virtually nothing to improve the performance of this car other than suspension????
Old 10-30-09, 10:37 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by babyray
is350....Can it be done? Just got this car two weeks ago. Been reading the forums like crazy. Looks like you can do virtually nothing to improve the performance of this car other than suspension????
Nothing affordable anyway.

4-5k into a supercharger would certainly put you over 300 rwhp on 5 lbs of boost. (how far over is currently a matter of considerable debate in another thread :P)

Stock is 260-265 rwhp.

Intake adds ~5, exhaust is 7-12 depending how illegal you want to go. So that'll get you maybe 275-280.

PPEs going to be shipping headers soonish, there's only been one dyno done AFAIK though, and it was with a full exhaust besides the headers, and showed 16 rwhp peak gain. It's not yet clear how much they do alone.

And that's about it.
Old 10-30-09, 10:37 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think so, otherwise everyone would know about it by now. Exhaust, Intake, Headers - unfortunately, that's not going to take you to 300 rwhp. It might get you to the 280 range.

Spray it!
Old 10-30-09, 10:45 AM
babyray
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by montgb
I don't think so, otherwise everyone would know about it by now. Exhaust, Intake, Headers - unfortunately, that's not going to take you to 300 rwhp. It might get you to the 280 range.

Spray it!
No spray for me. That's asking for trouble IMO. I'm just gonna drop it an inch and drive it I guess. Love the car.
Old 10-30-09, 01:00 PM
windex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No spray for me. That's asking for trouble IMO. I'm just gonna drop it an inch and drive it I guess. Love the car.
Ive never had a problem
Old 10-30-09, 02:33 PM
montgb
Lexus Champion

No spray for me. That's asking for trouble IMO.
Perhaps it was troublesome in the past. However, there are a number of safety precautions that can be implemented today to lower the risk to acceptable levels.

And then there's Windex, who throws caution out the window and just mashes the button. 100-shot of N2O and still no issues! He is an example for us all.
Old 10-30-09, 08:17 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Perhaps it was troublesome in the past. However, there are a number of safety precautions that can be implemented today to lower the risk to acceptable levels.

And then there's Windex, who throws caution out the window and just mashes the button. 100-shot of N2O and still no issues! He is an example for us all.

Given he's currently without a drivers license I'm not so sure it's an example I'd recommend :P

(and given his total lack of safety equipment definitely not a nitrous setup I'd recommend... but you can, indeed, do an extremely safe nitrous setup if you're willing to spend a bit on it, and it'll still cost a LOT less than the supercharger route)
Old 10-30-09, 09:22 PM
montgb
Lexus Champion

^^^ "Example" is open to interpretation. But both he & HKS350 paved the way for running N2O on the IS350, so they get in my book.
Old 10-31-09, 09:05 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MiiK350
How much is a good/safe setup? I've raced windex, and I must admit spray seems like the way to go, but his setup scares me a little.
I'm not entirely sure what options are available for the 2IS for things like a soft rev limiter for example, as I've not had any reason to look into it...but if you look in the N2O thread from a few days ago I posted a couple links explaining what goes into a really safe setup though. At a wild-**** guess not knowing exactly which bits you can get to work with this car and if they'd cost a lot more than for a domestic I'd say 1-2k should get you somewhere from a pretty safe to an extremely safe setup.
Old 10-31-09, 09:10 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

I believe a relatively safe set-up would be use a system that engages at WOT and with a window switch. The window switch specifies a "window" of when N2O can be used, such as between shift points or under a certain RPM.
Old 10-31-09, 06:14 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

I believe a relatively safe set-up would be use a system that engages at WOT and with a window switch. The window switch specifies a "window" of when N2O can be used, such as between shift points or under a certain RPM.
You'll also want at least fuel pressure safety switch, and ideally a rev limiter that cuts spark instead of fuel...
Old 10-31-09, 07:34 PM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kurtz
You'll also want at least fuel pressure safety switch, and ideally a rev limiter that cuts spark instead of fuel...
The Zex window switch also acts as a rev limiter.
Old 09-03-10, 09:58 PM
MiiK350
Lexus Test Driver

Am I doing my math wrong?

stock+265
Intake+5
PPE+16
Cback+12
total=298

This is assuming best conditions, and PPE +16 HP.

(I know, brought this back from the dead, but if someone can independently prove PPe's results we have a 300whp cars on our hands.)

& if thats the case, PPE + n20 here I come=]
Old 09-04-10, 12:10 AM
windex
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MiiK350
Am I doing my math wrong?

stock+265
Intake+5
PPE+16
Cback+12
total=298

This is assuming best conditions, and PPE +16 HP.

(I know, brought this back from the dead, but if someone can independently prove PPe's results we have a 300whp cars on our hands.)

& if thats the case, PPE + n20 here I come=]
Ill believe it when I see the dyno charts.

and to the op... just spray it its cheap, its easy, its low key.
Old 09-04-10, 12:12 AM
windex
Lexus Test Driver

Only major problem I have had so far was I needed a new wiring harness... I got 6 cats and everyone of them is useless.... rats chewed through mine

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How do you get 300 whp out of this car without spraying it?