Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Supercharged GS430

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-09, 09:19 AM
erikbang
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharged GS430

Hey guys...I wanted to post up my recent supercharger build/experience. The install is complete and here is the quick and dirty, if anyone has questions please respond.

So here is the jist of the install:
3" polished aluminum pipe
12x24x3 intercooler
ATI P1SC With Lextreme Bracket
autowerks bypass valve
walbro 255 hp in tank
3.9" pulley
ngk v power bkr 7e plugs
stock everything else

custom made front hood support bracket because I had to remove the original for the front mount, as seen in pictures.
had to do a bit of grinding on the front, near the head lights where the intercooler pipe comes up and down near the end tanks where the pipes come in to meet the intercooler.
The biggest issues I found was trying to figure out the idle issue like we spoke about and the intake pipe to the procharger. I had to do A LOT of fine trimming and grinding to make something work. You don't see it in the picture yet because I haven't got the filter. Also the horns need to be relocated, as seen in picture. I will update you with the pic. I only want to run somewhere around 4-6psi that way not having to worry about detonation. I'm not planning on driving it until i have a wideband and boost gauge. You say that with the 3.9" I should be somewhere around 6psi?

Here is a link to lexteme forums where I purchased the bracket. It is the fish 2.

http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showt...9564#post99564
Attached Thumbnails Supercharged GS430-100_2009.jpg   Supercharged GS430-100_2010.jpg   Supercharged GS430-100_2011.jpg   Supercharged GS430-100_2012.jpg   Supercharged GS430-100_2013.jpg  

Old 10-21-09, 10:09 AM
JiBBeL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good stuff man. What electronics are you running to control air/fuel mix?

Thanks for posting
Old 10-21-09, 10:14 AM
Ultra Vip
Lexus Test Driver

it looks like your having to relocate your ecu. Is that correct? can you pm me the link where you got the charger from? good job on the install. looking forward to more info.
Old 10-21-09, 10:40 AM
erikbang
Driver School Candidate

Thank you...right now I only have the charger and the piping done, no fuel management at this time but I'm not driving it until I get a wide band and boost gauge. It does start and idle like stock after a little issue with the bypass valve.
Old 10-21-09, 10:48 AM
erikbang
Driver School Candidate

Yes I did have to move the ecu to a temporary location on top of the strut assembly, really its needs to be sealed up. I got the ati procharger p1sc from ebay used.
Old 10-21-09, 10:54 AM
3UZFTE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whoa that looks pretty sweet. I think you'll see a little more improvment if you get an aftermarket cold air. Other than that I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I'd love to see more pictures and hear more details about the build. What're your plans for the ecu, did you have to modify the "fish" bracket? Could it go on the other side?
Old 10-21-09, 11:13 AM
erikbang
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ultra Vip
it looks like your having to relocate your ecu. Is that correct? can you pm me the link where you got the charger from? good job on the install. looking forward to more info.
Originally Posted by 3UZFTE
Whoa that looks pretty sweet. I think you'll see a little more improvment if you get an aftermarket cold air. Other than that I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I'd love to see more pictures and hear more details about the build. What're your plans for the ecu, did you have to modify the "fish" bracket? Could it go on the other side?

You are so right!

I will have to do a complete write up of every little thing that was necessary there were a few little issues but really it was not as bad as one would think.

The plans for the ecu are to first get some form of monitoring so I can see what the afr are at for base line. My plans are only to have low boost application...around 4-6 psi so I can keep it as my daily driver. Really I'm hoping to get away without having to go stand alone. I am looking for input and or ideas here.

I did speak with Eric over at Rhys Millen motorsports about there kit they used to make. He said they did not use any type of ecu tuning but instead put slightly larger injectors in the car and the stock ecu had enough correction to use them. He did mention that some cars did take longer to learn. I really wasn't so sure about that statement...
Old 10-21-09, 11:35 AM
DarrellGS4
Driver

Swizzeett!!! Nice build. Good luck moving forward.
Old 10-21-09, 11:51 AM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would love to see the write up for this. Great job on taking the initiative on doing this for the GS. Any reason why you choose to mount the supercharger on the side instead of on the passenger side? Seems to me that it would save you from the hassle of relocating the ecu.
Old 10-21-09, 12:23 PM
Brennan401
Driver

Looks good. What is the WHP?
Old 10-21-09, 12:45 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyder78
I would love to see the write up for this. Great job on taking the initiative on doing this for the GS. Any reason why you choose to mount the supercharger on the side instead of on the passenger side? Seems to me that it would save you from the hassle of relocating the ecu.
wow, oh wow as he said good job on stepping it up for us. how much was total cost?

Originally Posted by Brennan401
Looks good. What is the WHP?
he hasnt dynoed yet...
Old 10-21-09, 12:55 PM
JoelGs
Lexus Test Driver

Looks like a fun project...keep us update on this...I might be interested on this later down the road...if ever I'd decide to keep my car or not..
Old 10-21-09, 01:49 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks good. I might go this route and get rid of my supercharger if things go well for you.
Old 10-21-09, 03:13 PM
Ultra Vip
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by erikbang
You are so right!

I will have to do a complete write up of every little thing that was necessary there were a few little issues but really it was not as bad as one would think.

The plans for the ecu are to first get some form of monitoring so I can see what the afr are at for base line. My plans are only to have low boost application...around 4-6 psi so I can keep it as my daily driver. Really I'm hoping to get away without having to go stand alone. I am looking for input and or ideas here.

apexi neo and maybe slightly bigger injectors? Going 4-6psi I would assume would not need that much fuel adjustment that these 2 things would not remedy.

I am wondering like other posters have ask why did you put the charger on the driverside instead of passengerside? Seems like it wouldve saved you the headache of relocating the ecu. Plus after the stock air box is out you have tons of room for the charger. That's how I was going to do it on my 400 but money has been tight so I never got the charger. Only the neo, and upgraded tc, but I might be able to follow in your foot steps if the body shop doesn't go over budget. Lol
Old 10-21-09, 03:34 PM
erikbang
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Spyder78

The process was started almost 2 years ago. I bought the bracket from David at lextreme. He sent longer bolts to replace the studs on the front of the engine plus an idler pulley. As with regards to which side the blower went...well I'm right there with you on the passenger side just because of the room and not having to move the ecu. The one thing I did loose was my windshield washer bottle. I had to make the sacrifice. I think that if I was to use 2.5" pipe from the charger to the intercooler I may have been able to squeeze past it but I didn't have that option.

The major issues:

using a grinder and cut off wheel in both head light areas, nothing more than a 2" by 4" at the most! Trimming out the area to fit intercooler pipe on the passenger side and intake pipe on the drivers side. You have to keep in mind that I've done this before to previous cars so cutting on my car was not that big of deal but to others that maybe a deal breaker.

Now down by the intercooler end tanks I used the the grinder again. Taking out 3" by 1" area, so the pipes would not bang on anything. Nothing structural was removed SO no worries in that dept. I had to do a little trimming on the drivers side fan housing. The ati is a fairly large charger so I had to slide over the radiator about half an inch, otherwise the charger was interfering with the radiator hose. Really if I would have had all the necessary parts I think it could have been done in 2 days. Hind sight being 20 20! As we all know having to go back to the hardware store really sucks up your time!

The biggest pain was the fact that once you remove the front brace that connects the lower cross member to where the hood latches, there is no stability!!! Meaning the hood would no longer close...lol This was after I had fit and cut the all the piping and had it mounted up to the intercooler looking like a finished product..So off it came and back to fabrication again. I used a 3/4 by 3/4" 90 degree angle steel to fab up the new brace/bracket. It was now going to be mounted to the back side of the steel impact bar on the front of the car (I really wished I had taken pictures for you guys...sorry!) I did take a picture and post it so you can see kind of what I'm describing. As for the piping...I bought it from cx racing it was the universal kit which came with:

2 u bends
2 45
2 straights
2 90

including all the t bolt clamps and silicone couplers...it was 129 bucks for the piping kit. I will say cutting pipe gets old real quick!

Hmmm ebay was a good resource for the ati 800 bucks,the bypass valve 50 bucks and intercooler 80 bucks

I think the bracket from lextreme was around 200ish? David chime in?

Misc...200 bucks
afe 4" inlet...part number 24-40035 = 40 bucks

oh and the funniest part of the story was the idler pulley...It is for a 96 ford f 150 but I had to get my own shoulder bolt...do not waste your time going to the hardware store. Either buy it from ford or go to the wrecking yard like pull a part, place where you do all the work, and take your girlfriend. They have eagle eyes! Here I am opening hoods of all these mid 90's ford trucks cutting my hands up looking for a pulley or and bolt that looks remotely like it...and then, my girl friend says, "So does it matter where these bolts come from?"...me "nope as long as it fits."...her "so how about these 4 I found on the ground?" Wow did i feel like an idiot! It literally took her like 2 mins to procure 4 of them!

Ok guys thats my write up as of so far...I'm sure I"ll be adding additional info as I remember it but I really would like to field any questions or help or be helped and any way. You guys are great! Take care.

As soon as I am able to get my wideband and boost gauges I'll get take it out and get some data on it.

Quick Reply: Supercharged GS430