Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Axle back or Cat back exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-09, 12:07 AM
norcal_c
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Axle back or Cat back exhaust?

I can't decide which style exhaust to get? I'm new to having a LExus. Just sold my 06 G35C for an 07 IS350. Now i have the tuner bug and i can't decide which exhaust to get? I'm looking at the Megan cat back exhaust but i'm afraid that the better exhaust flow will create a loss in low end. My G35 had this issue when i put on cat back exhaust with hiflow cats. Do other drivers with catback exhaust have the same issue. What about axle back. I doubt there are any gains, just a change in sound. Which axle back are people preferring to get. I definitely want it to be louder than stock.
Thanks
Old 08-05-09, 01:46 PM
Glide
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the cat-back you wil lose the second cat giving you a deeper sound and higher flo. Most members seem to be going with the JoeZ off-road exhaust ($1499)
Old 08-05-09, 01:51 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

JoeZ FTMFW! Hands down...the quality is second to none, the sound is perfect, no drone, just sound on demand.
Old 08-05-09, 06:52 PM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

One more time - JoeZ! You can avoid the mix 'n match of midpipe + exhaust and get a quality system that has been proven.

Other full cat-back systems are Invidia, Megan, and Borla.
Old 08-10-09, 12:17 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I bought a used Tanabe for $400.

It adds 7 hp. (as will any other axle-back if you want a louder one)

A full exhaust will add 10-12 hp (depending how illegal you want it to be, either technically illegal or glaringly obviously illegal) and cost $1400 or so.

That was pretty easy math for me, gains wise.

Plus I -enjoy- a quieter exhaust on the lexus, given how loud my last car was.
Old 08-11-09, 01:30 AM
norcal_c
Driver

I'm rocking HKS exhaust with Invidia mids. Got it all on here from reps for about 900. Joes is to much money even with the gains. I'm sorry but exhaust doesn't add noticeable HP. You only notice the sound! Thats why i cant see spending so much for an exhaust. The IS is too quiet for me.
Old 08-11-09, 10:07 AM
Phiber
Lead Lap

How does the invidia sound? You should make a video.
Old 08-11-09, 12:03 PM
norcal_c
Driver

I just ordered them last week so it should all be on by the weekend. I will for sure throw up a video of the two.
Old 08-11-09, 01:49 PM
sr20mofo
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ yes plz throw up a sound clip, thinking about getting the invidia mids as well
Old 08-11-09, 03:02 PM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by norcal_c
I'm rocking HKS exhaust with Invidia mids. Got it all on here from reps for about 900. Joes is to much money even with the gains. I'm sorry but exhaust doesn't add noticeable HP. You only notice the sound! Thats why i cant see spending so much for an exhaust. The IS is too quiet for me.
+1

Your not going to notice anything no matter what exhaust you get, JoeZ included so just get an axle back and save the cash... plus there's many more options to choose from.
Old 08-11-09, 04:07 PM
L-S-D
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have the megan full cat back... im pretty happy with it.. has sexy burnt tips nice deep sound...
Old 08-11-09, 08:56 PM
w1ck3d64
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by norcal_c
I just ordered them last week so it should all be on by the weekend. I will for sure throw up a video of the two.
do u have the hipower? i'm kinda stuck between that and the megan mid...does anyone think it'll be too loud with hipower (silenced) and megan mid? i kinda wanna keep my secondary cats...is this possible with the megan?
Old 08-12-09, 01:10 AM
norcal_c
Driver

Originally Posted by w1ck3d64
do u have the hipower? i'm kinda stuck between that and the megan mid...does anyone think it'll be too loud with hipower (silenced) and megan mid? i kinda wanna keep my secondary cats...is this possible with the megan?
I'm not sure, but i ordered the Hi-Power version. I ordered the invidia mid's because i've heard of the company. If invidia didn't make mids i would have ordered the Megan mids. Another reason i didn't get the MEgan mids was because I haven't met anyone will a Megan exhaust system.
I want my car to be noticeably louder. My previous car was a G35 and i personally like hearing the engine/exhaust.
Whatever floats your boat.
Don't get exhaust if you are worried about being too loud.
Old 08-12-09, 12:20 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by iSuxeL
JoeZ FTMFW! Hands down...the quality is second to none, the sound is perfect, no drone, just sound on demand.
Thank you for the kind words!!

Honestly, a FULL True Dual 2.25" Exhaust with X pipe (designed well), will give you that 10-12 rwhp gain in the IS350

Most of the axle backs on the market will give approx 5-7 rwhp gains...
Now, throw in an available aftermarket Mid Y pipe and you will see about another 2 rwhp gain..
Since deleting the secondary Cats free up about 1 hp each.

I Wish High Grade 304 Stainless Steel was cheaper, so we could deliver the product to you all for a few hundred dollars less.. But it’s not.

We thought about releasing the system in aluminized steel tubing, which is cheaper, but we do not want to sell the exhaust using lesser quality materials..

Just as a reference, we developed a similar system for the IS-F using 2.5" SS tubing and we actually achieved 22 rwhp gains. Being that it’s a V8, the gains are a whole lot better.

We hope to get another GB with Carson going real soon for the ISx50 systems.

Regards,

Joe Z
Old 08-12-09, 10:28 PM
norcal_c
Driver

I understand. I spent $1500 for exhaust for my G35. I had high flow cats full exhaust which came out to $2100 (with the two) and it only shaved off 2 to 3 tenths off my quarter mile time and increased my trap speed by 3 mph.
Now i realize that it is not worth it. I'm just doing what i can to save money.

Quick Reply: Axle back or Cat back exhaust?