Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

8/4/09 Dyno results GS430

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-09, 05:36 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

denut-L...any updates? Were those dyno numbers accurate?
Old 08-13-09, 03:36 PM
denut-L
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
denut-L...any updates? Were those dyno numbers accurate?
I'm not a pro at using or knowing anything about these dyno machines. THat's why i went to the best around town. FULL BLOWN MOTORSPORTS
hoping they will give me the best numbers on my car. LJ is a very well known tuner and has tuned many cars into the 500+ hp range from supras to is300, civic ect on and on.

When i asked him about my tq numbers and had questions about it, he said 350 and i told him that flywheel is at 325 and alot of people dyno'd at around 270- 280 ft lbs. he told me that my car responded really good when he leaned it out. After the last run he told me that's the most he can get out of it for now.

I'll be getting it dyno'd tuned again after my custom headers and catback are finished.
Old 08-14-09, 08:23 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by denut-L
Well i finally installed my afc neo last week and went in for a dyno tune today @ Full Blown Motorsports.

MODS - Injen intake, L-tuned mufflers, AFC NEO, couple other little things

The results are...

First Pull, no tune - 245.3 whp @ 330 ft lbs Tq

Last pull, Tuned - 275.9 whp @ 350 ft lbs Tq

I was pretty impressed at the results. Well have video up soon if anybody's interested.

Also meet up with another GS owner at the shop, it was our first time seeing a GS on the dyno.. Finally someone in MN that i saw with a GS he said he comes on here also, sorry i didn't get your name but Nice looking GS400. Let me know when you gonna dyno yours, so i can swing by to check it out.

For my own edification I would like to see your dyno charts please.

"First Pull, no tune - 245.3 whp @ 330 ft lbs Tq"

No tune = AFC is NOT doing anything yet, so your only mods at that time of these results was an Injen Intake and the L-Tuned mufflers. So I think it's safe to say that setup gained you MAYBE 15hp and 10 ftlbs of torque (crank).

So, backing out the numbers to get to BONE STOCK you would have been at around 233whp and 320wtq (???) with an approximate 20% drivetrain loss this equates to 292hp and 400 ft lbs (crank). Last time I checked GS430's come with 300hp and 325 ft lbs (stock). Somehow yours came with 75 ft lbs more from the factory. The estimated 8hp (crank) loss from factory is just basically that the car is NOT brand new anymore...wear and tear.

If you get the car dyno'd again and it replicates (or comes close to) your dyno result of 275.9 whp & 350 ft lbs Tq then I agree with that is where YOUR particular car is at now. I just still and will NEVER understand how your "first pull" dyno yielded torque numbers of 330wtq.

UNLESS the "couple other little things " is a supercharger on VERY low boost. lol

FYI - rough facts (stock)
'01-'05 GS430

Power = 300hp --------->240whp
Torque = 325 ftlbs------>260wtq
Old 08-15-09, 08:57 AM
ChampGS3
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With just a basic knowledge of dyno's it is obvious the rwtq #s are Not accurate. When Dynoing an automatic car, the more gears the tranny has, the more difficult it becomes. The best way to get accurate hp or tq #s on an 5spdAuto or 5spdManual is to be at a roughly 1:1 gear ratio and that is usually about where 4th gear falls on most cars.

As I believe Jbrady pointed out, the torque peak of the 430 engine is @ 3400 is most likely going to show the decline of torque from there to redline. Further when the dyno operator try's to fully load the car once at speed in ~4th gear @ ~45mph, the tranny is almost always going to downshift, and screw with the torque reading/peak. What your dyno operator has likely quoted you is the peak torque #s when the car shifted back to 3rd for the first few seconds of the run.

Hey at least the tune seems to have netted you 30whp, which still seems a bit optimistic for what balancing out the A/F ratio can do, but hey you still likely got a heck of an improvement. As many have already said, without the hp/tq/af charts, its difficult to know exactly what was going on and in turn being quoted to you the customer.
Old 08-22-09, 12:29 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

What I REALLY want to know is how STABLE the tune is. IOW, how long will the increase power remain. It seems like the toyota processor "re-learns" and adjusts back towards stock settings.

IF... and that is the key, IF the power increase is stable that is GREAT news and definitely exciting stuff.

Someone with a tune needs to get re-dyno'd after several thousand miles of driving to determine tuning stability. Good stuff.
Old 08-22-09, 09:51 PM
BLAZE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ Also want to know...
Old 08-24-09, 06:48 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jbrady
What I REALLY want to know is how STABLE the tune is. IOW, how long will the increase power remain. It seems like the toyota processor "re-learns" and adjusts back towards stock settings.

IF... and that is the key, IF the power increase is stable that is GREAT news and definitely exciting stuff.

Someone with a tune needs to get re-dyno'd after several thousand miles of driving to determine tuning stability. Good stuff.
Well, I may be your ginnea pig. I am going to get my car re-dyno'd and then re-tuned at a new place that is closer to me than the last. I want to see if:

-The tune lasted from my dyno tune 4 mos ago (by seeing results from the baseline pulls)

-If I achieve higher or lower #'s after replacing my MAF sensor, ECT sensor and PCV valve. (Also to see if this tuner is more competent with my type of car; the previous tuner I went to never dealt with tuning Lexus' let alone the V8 models.)

I'll let you guys know...
Old 08-24-09, 09:31 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Well, I may be your ginnea pig. I am going to get my car re-dyno'd and then re-tuned at a new place that is closer to me than the last. I want to see if:

-The tune lasted from my dyno tune 4 mos ago (by seeing results from the baseline pulls)

-If I achieve higher or lower #'s after replacing my MAF sensor, ECT sensor and PCV valve. (Also to see if this tuner is more competent with my type of car; the previous tuner I went to never dealt with tuning Lexus' let alone the V8 models.)

I'll let you guys know...

I can not think of a better "tester" seeing as you are the highest output NA GS4xx I have heard of.

Do you have access to a G-Tech or other performance meter? Get as much data as possible to confirm your cars performance and consistency.

BTW, loose the heavy crap in the car (subwoofer boxes, junk in the trunk, etc)

With practice and a diet you should be able to make mid to low 13 second quarter mile passes with low 5 second possibly sub 5 second zero-60s.

I have a G-Tech Pro Competition that gives an actual dyno curve readout in addition to a ton of downloadable data. Well worth the cash.
Old 08-24-09, 11:52 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jbrady

I can not think of a better "tester" seeing as you are the highest output NA GS4xx I have heard of.

Do you have access to a G-Tech or other performance meter? Get as much data as possible to confirm your cars performance and consistency.

BTW, loose the heavy crap in the car (subwoofer boxes, junk in the trunk, etc)

With practice and a diet you should be able to make mid to low 13 second quarter mile passes with low 5 second possibly sub 5 second zero-60s.

I have a G-Tech Pro Competition that gives an actual dyno curve readout in addition to a ton of downloadable data. Well worth the cash.
Thanks J...I will report back. Oh, BTW I was thinking of buying a G-tech (or splitting the cost with my friend as he wants it too).

Or, perhaps if I don't go this route maybe I could borrow yours. I could send you $$$ via PayPal so I don't run off with it (which I wouldn't do anyway) and when I return it, you could refund me the money back in full.
Old 08-24-09, 12:13 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Thanks J...I will report back. Oh, BTW I was thinking of buying a G-tech (or splitting the cost with my friend as he wants it too).

Or, perhaps if I don't go this route maybe I could borrow yours. I could send you $$$ via PayPal so I don't run off with it (which I wouldn't do anyway) and when I return it, you could refund me the money back in full.
Well, I am tempted to send it BUT owning one gives you time to practice your launch technique and test performance changes with weather changes and other things such as fuel quality.

If you get one get the RR as the SS does not allow uploads to your computer and using the PASS software for datalogging.

There is one remanufactured direct from GTech on ebay for $270 right now and several SS from $125

Last edited by JBrady; 08-24-09 at 12:16 PM.
Old 08-24-09, 12:32 PM
evil00017
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the iphone/ ipod touch have a App that works just like the Gtech its pretty cool. The best part about it is its 15 dollars. They actually did a test of it vs the Gtech and it was slightly more accurate. heres the comparison http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-DFbJQbeSY
Old 08-24-09, 06:16 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

found this one for the touch pro and omnia free
http://www.extreme-apps.com/

edit: May not be free ...haven't tried it;.\

Last edited by sam430; 08-24-09 at 06:23 PM.