Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Performance Chips - The Mother Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-07, 12:54 PM
AZ IS350
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So if I get the electric supercharger, and put 3 or 4 of these chips in series, then you're saying I've got an M5 killer? Awesome! Where do I buy?...

It's funny reading some the ebay feedback for those sellers. Lots of people claiming they can feel the power gains.
Old 01-24-07, 01:13 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AZ IS350
So if I get the electric supercharger, and put 3 or 4 of these chips in series, then you're saying I've got an M5 killer? Awesome! Where do I buy?...

It's funny reading some the ebay feedback for those sellers. Lots of people claiming they can feel the power gains.
Wiring them up in series will definitely give you more HP.... Wiring them up in parallel will give you more torque.
Old 01-24-07, 03:09 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,848 Likes on 2,333 Posts

Gotta love the azzdyno! I can't count the number of guys who say it feels better, but then they go to the track and run slower...
Old 01-24-07, 10:52 PM
cc16ue
Pit Crew

not only does the resistors work, but if you put a sticker in the back, it'll boost another 10 hp
Old 02-23-07, 04:54 PM
LeXusIS714
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorrie to bring up such an old thread. This thing came up on ebay as I did a search for IS350 stuff. Some sellers on Ebay have great feedback on selling these modules. I wonder what all the buyers are thinking. Does some1 on this forum have personal experience with this product? I know it does crap, then how in the world does the sellers get positive feedback. WIErd.
Old 02-23-07, 05:00 PM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

all that resistor does is trick you computer into thinking that the air is always cold making the ECU richen the air/fuel.
Old 02-23-07, 05:03 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LeXusIS714
Sorrie to bring up such an old thread. This thing came up on ebay as I did a search for IS350 stuff. Some sellers on Ebay have great feedback on selling these modules. I wonder what all the buyers are thinking. Does some1 on this forum have personal experience with this product? I know it does crap, then how in the world does the sellers get positive feedback. WIErd.
There's a reason for the positive feedback. People that buy them are fools, and those fools are the same types of people that think their cars are faster when they are clean. Do you think your car is faster when it's clean? It's a mental thing.

Last edited by Gernby; 02-23-07 at 06:05 PM.
Old 02-23-07, 05:06 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sinister2c
all that resistor does is trick you computer into thinking that the air is always cold making the ECU richen the air/fuel.
That's exactly incorrect. In theory, the resistor makes the ECU think the intake air is hotter so that the ECU will lean out the air / fuel ratio. Stock engines always run rich at full throttle, so leaning it out increases power. The problem is that modern cars constantly "calibrate" their fuel maps in closed loop, so the ECU will figure out VERY quickly that it needs to increase the fuel delivery again. It is less than worthless.
Old 02-23-07, 05:55 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

This is why most unintelligent piggybacks don't work well with Toyota's TCCS. TCCS is constantly evaluating the a/f mixture using feedback from the O2 sensors. The evaluation process produces a "correction factor" that gets applied to ALL the fuel maps.

The idea is, as parts age and their ability to measure accurately changes, and as small air leaks develop over time, the ECM needs to be able to compensate. So TCCS uses a +/-20% correction factor to do this. The part that makes this hard for piggyback fuel controllers is the self-analyse and self-correct features.

Say you dial in a 10% leaner setting for a particular rpm. When you initially make the change, it leans out and you make more power. Then after the ECM reads the O2 values, it figures out the engine is running 10% leaner than it expects, so it adds back 10% fuel, and you are right back to square one.

The way the newer controllers get around this is by monitoring throttle position AND rpm. When the throttle position exceeds 78%, the ECM ignores the O2 sensor (the definition of open loop - ignoring feedback), and blindly applies the correction factor it learned while below 78% in closed loop operation assuming this correction is still necessary (which is a reasonable and prudent assumption most of the time.) Since the fuel controller knows the ECM is in open loop, it applies its own correction factor (the one you or your tuner decided it needed) and you get the leaner mixture you wanted from jump.

Some fuel controllers do better than others. The cheap solutions like the resistor in the IAT circuit do nothing useful, and under the right circumstances, could do a lot of bad.
Old 02-23-07, 06:56 PM
LeXusIS714
Driver

Originally Posted by Gernby
There's a reason for the positive feedback. People that buy them are fools, and those fools are the same types of people that think their cars are faster when they are clean. Do you think your car is faster when it's clean? It's a mental thing.
It's sad how these sellers make easy money on these fake products and ebay doesn't do anything about it. Well, I filed a complaint to ebay to investigate this products. Let see what happen.
Old 02-23-07, 07:07 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeXusIS714
It's sad how these sellers make easy money on these fake products and ebay doesn't do anything about it. Well, I filed a complaint to ebay to investigate this products. Let see what happen.
What should eBay do? They shouldn't be expected to protect people from their own ignorance. Should eBay prevent someone from selling one of Britney Spear's pubic hairs for a billion dollars? I think not.

BTW, if you have one of Britney Spear's pubic hairs, I'm in the market...
Old 02-23-07, 08:41 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

apply this on the hood of your car to gain more hourse power
Old 02-23-07, 08:49 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

What does TCCS stand for? Hondas have the same issue with ECU's tuning out piggy-back ECUs if they make adjustments at partial throttle. I always figured it was part of the OBD2 standard that ALL ECUs remain in closed loop under certain conditions. While working on my piggy-back, I've noticed the OEM ECU definitely remainsin closed loop at full throttle up to at least 3K RPMs.
Old 02-23-07, 09:22 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

TCCS is like PGM-FI. It's the original marketing term for Toyota's EFI, it stands for Toyota Computer Control System. All of the old schoolers call it TCCS since it was the big deal on the original Celica Supra.
Old 02-23-07, 09:32 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Original Celica Supra?! That's like older than dirt! My dad had one in the early or mid '80's. I didn't even know O2 sensors were around back then.

Quick Reply: Performance Chips - The Mother Thread