Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

F-Sport Clutch for IS250

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-09, 08:12 PM
T4styPh0
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ULTiMaX99
anybody know how much installation cost would be roughly?

Probaby varies from dealer to dealer but mine charges ~$10 for 1/10 of an hour. On the chart it says 3 hours so I'm guessing it's around $300.
Old 04-12-09, 11:04 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GSE20MT
yea, i was gonna say that i don't think they meant it to be even remotely sporty in the first place, hence the crappy lag between shifts. i think since it IS a luxury car, a lighter flywheel might make it harder for the common person to shift smoothly. lightweight flywheels require a quick left foot.

but as far as the short shifter goes, no matter what, you're gonna get to the next gear before the revs drop down anyway, so i really don't see a point in the short shifter. i mean, what difference does it make getting into gear earlier, when the rpm doesn't drop down as quick as you can get into gear right? you'd just be ruining the clutch if you keep popping it before the rpm matches accordingly to the gear you're getting into and the speed you're moving at. it's kinda like guys that gas and brake in traffic. you're gonna stop immediately anyway, just roll along and save the energy.

My girlfriend ruined the clutch in my car and I had to get it replace. I have an '06 IS just fyi. The cost of the OEM part was ~1900 and the F-Sport was ~2200. Spending that much I figured "why not?" Plus, the OEM clutch always felt a little... ghosty to me. You never really could feel it, but only had an inkling it was there.

Like you said, the problem is the heavy flywheel. When driving it a hard and shifting into second, if I shift too fast it the tires to make a small squeal of protest.

Letting the pedal out will at first SLIGHTLY engage the clutch, and then you have a good 2 - 3 inches of travel until it grips any further. The engagement happens very suddenly, probably in about 1/2 an inch of pedal travel. After getting used to the feel of the OEM for 3 years, I had some trouble driving for a week or two when I would first start the car. It's hard to re-train muscle memory. I see why some golf pros instruct golfers to just start over left handed or vice versa.

Anyways... that time sheet shown seems to be either wrong, or a dealer charging $100/hour is wrong. The part itself is what, $650? Quite a big discrepancy from what I actually paid.

I am considering the quick shift kit just because I might as well. The tech that did the repairs damaged my center console and lift plate on the shifter to put it in reverse (deep gouges and scratches on both), and I am going back next week to get them replaced. I guess they probably don't do much clutch replacement in a Lexus service shop. ;)
Old 04-14-09, 09:27 PM
jackjack
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought my '08 IS-250 manual and am thinking about the "quick-shifter". I asked about it at the dealership and it turned out that one of the mechanics had put the quick-shift in his own IS-250. (I don't know if he changed the clutch). He's had the quick shifter for a year and doesn't regret it.
Yea, it's not likely to effect performance. Buy as the mechanic said, it's more comfortable. When the mechanic now gets in a customers manual, it feels 'mushy" compared to his quick-shift.
Here's a review of the F-Sport upgrades to the IS-250: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=140386
Old 09-01-09, 02:42 PM
BTLS250
Driver

anymore word on the f-sport clutch?
Old 09-15-09, 08:57 AM
icyfreakas
Rookie

Update please.!

Very curious.
Old 01-06-16, 12:04 PM
Dazedsjsu
Driver School Candidate

I just got the f-sport clutch installed and have had the f-sport short shifter for awhile. First off, the stock manual setup for the car was okay. It was smooth for the most part for me, but sluggish. This led me to install the short shifter, and the shifting felt better. Next, I also had some issues with some screeching noise going uphill and shifting in low gears once in a while when the clutch seem to be wearing out around 50000 miles. I had to replace the flywheel and clutch, so I installed the f-sport clutch. The new clutch is still smooth and grabs quickly, so far, I am enjoying the setup. The car seems faster. If there are any specific questions, just let me know, and I will try to answer them. Note: the quick shifter part and installation was about $600, and the new flywheel and f-sport clutch parts and installation was about $3500 at the Lexus dealership.

Last edited by Dazedsjsu; 01-06-16 at 04:53 PM.
Old 01-06-16, 05:41 PM
Icy350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

6 year old thread brought back to life!@
Old 01-07-16, 10:39 AM
Dazedsjsu
Driver School Candidate

Yeah Icy350, I did not notice how old this thread was. Haha.
Old 02-01-16, 05:50 PM
SebaPR
Driver

i also got the fsport clutch installed got it back December 24, 2015 (yay christmas present) broke it in (drove for 500 miles granny ish as stated in manual and by my highly experienced mechanic) then drove it hard. Seems smoother grabs harder guess because of reinforced fsport pressure plate also pedal feels firmer i like it was too soft before. i kept stock flywheel since its super expensive to replace and mechanic said it was fine. when driving hard you definitely feel harder engagement car pulls forward harder when you drop it into next gear, 2nd gear really makes the tires scream now . got it off lpartsworld.com for a really nice price also got a clublexus members discount from them go check em out
Attached Thumbnails F-Sport Clutch for IS250-img_0497.jpg  

Last edited by SebaPR; 02-08-16 at 10:32 AM.
Old 04-08-16, 07:57 AM
mnayani
Driver School Candidate

Trying to locate one of these. Called my local Lexus dealer (I'm in Waterloo, ON - 1hr W of T.O.) and he told me there is none in stock (obsolete part), and none in Toronto or Vancouver.

Anyone have a suggestion where I can grab one of these short shift kits? I'd really like to get one for my 06 IS

Thanks.
Old 04-08-16, 08:49 AM
RustySpoke
Driver School Candidate

I had the F-Sport clutch and short shift installed 2 weeks ago. Also had a SPEC lightweight flywheel installed as well. Still in the break in period for the clutch so I'm not driving hard on it yet, but it does have a smoother engagement over the stock clutch.
The F-Sport short shifter gives the throws a really solid feel. Almost like slotting a rifle bolt. Would recommend getting one at the least. I got mine from Lpartsworld.

The SPEC flywheel does let the engine rev and drop speed noticeably faster of the stock flywheel, but apparently unbeknownst to me when I bought it, SPEC parts have a squeak to them.
When feathering the clutch at low speeds you can get a squeak when it is engaging. Once its set its fine, but its a little annoying at times. Just keep the radio up.

Overall the combo seems to smooth the clutch engagement and feel, the short throws are really nice and its amusing to watch the tach move around a lot quicker with the new flywheel.
Old 04-08-16, 09:22 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 580 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by mnayani
Trying to locate one of these. Called my local Lexus dealer (I'm in Waterloo, ON - 1hr W of T.O.) and he told me there is none in stock (obsolete part), and none in Toronto or Vancouver.

Anyone have a suggestion where I can grab one of these short shift kits? I'd really like to get one for my 06 IS

Thanks.
Weird, the part is not coded obsolete, and in fact there are 2 in stock at the Toronto warehouse. PTR15-53080 is the part number, I'd check with a different dealer.

Jeff
Old 04-08-16, 10:42 AM
mnayani
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Jeff!

I haven't checked with that part #, I'll try that again and order it. Much appreciated.
Old 04-08-16, 10:46 AM
mnayani
Driver School Candidate

Sorry, just to confirm what is being discussed here and the part # listed PTR15-53080, is the same as PTR46-53080 - F-Sport Short Shift Kit - don't think this is the same what I'm after....
Old 04-08-16, 11:09 AM
RustySpoke
Driver School Candidate

PTR15-53080 is the F-Sport Clutch Kit

PTR46-53080 is the F-Sport short shift

If you're replacing the clutch I would recommend the F-Sport short shift as well. Its a good combo.

Quick Reply: F-Sport Clutch for IS250