Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GS Models > GS - Second Generation > Performance
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2JZ-VVTi timing problem.....

Old 02-19-09, 06:10 AM   #1
SATXSC400
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)

Default 2JZ-VVTi timing problem.....

Posting this here also because I know you 2nd gen GS guys have changed out your VVTi cam gears before. Ok guys I'm in the process of changing out the timing belt, cam seals, tensioner, tensioner pulley, waterpump, and a new VVti cam gear on a 98 SC300. Well everything was going good until it came time to change the VVti cam gear. The 10mm hex bolt was really torqued down, I would say over 300 ftlb. I had to use a large impact gun to bust that hex bolt loose. I had a buddy hold the cam with a wrench on top while I hit it with the gun. Well I finally got everything changed out and put on the new timing belt that I had marked exactly like the old belt prior to removing it. I made sure the VVTi cam gear was within the 30 degree range and stopped at the timing mark on top. Well with the timing belt on and the tensioner pin pulled out I rotated the crank to make sure it stayed on time. Well the belt jumped a tooth on both cam sprockets and the crank sprocket as well. I did a few full rotations and it seems like the belt is advancing a tooth with each full rotation. So I went ahead and put the bottom timing cover back on and realigned the timing belt following the FSM exactly and rotated the crank and its still advancing a tooth. I must say I'm confused, this isn't my first timing belt change. I just did a belt on a 2002 Lexus Is300 last week, everything went smooth as butter. The only thing different was I didn't have to replace the VVti cam pulley on the IS300. I verified that I have the correct timing belt and cam sprocket. I've done dozens of timing belt changes before, everything from 2js, 7ms, to Honda B and D series motors. I'm stumped for the night , gonna start fresh tomorrow. Any input from you seasoned Lexus guys would be great. Thanks..!!
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
SATXSC400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-09, 06:50 AM   #2
99SC42
gte & na-t
Trader Score: (44)

here you go man i am thinking about doing the same thing tomorrow but you scaring the Hell out of me
here is a link it may help you GL

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-s...ing-a-2jz.html
99SC42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-09, 09:03 AM   #3
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (1)

Send a message via AIM to JeffTsai

So what can't you get right? Once you put the VVTi pulley back on, advance it all the way to the right(clockwise) till it stops turning. At this position is what you use to line up the timing marks on the pulley with the notch on the back metal cover. So, dot on intake pulley match to exhaust side dot on the pulley, or line to line. Match it up to crankshaft accordingly.

Please email me instead of PM. I don't always empty the PM, and I don't check it as often.
Email me here and it goes direct to my phone powerdynamix@gmail.com
JeffTsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-09, 10:26 AM   #4
99SC42
gte & na-t

jEFF i think he just put the hex bolt back on the VVTi cam sprocket and didn't turn it till it stop turning that was the problem
Old 02-19-09, 10:42 AM   #5
SATXSC400
Pole Position

^ Thanks for the help so far guys, I really appreciate it. But I did actually did put the 10mm Hex bolt back on and made sure the VVTi cam gear rotates the 30 degrees and stops right at 12 O'clock aligned with the mark on the metal back plate. I put everything back on with the cam gears aligned with the back plate and tensioner pin pulled out. I then rotate the assembly to make sure the belt doesn't jump timing, its a habit of mine. I've always done that step to make sure it the belt doesn't jump. But on this motor with each full rotation of the crank I notice the belt advances a tooth each time. I know it does because I marked the new T-belt. Is this normal for a VVTi motor? I just did a 2002 Is300 last week and I don't recall it doing that. I definitely know Honda motors don't do that.

Last edited by SATXSC400; 02-19-09 at 11:31 AM..
Old 02-20-09, 07:59 AM   #6
SATXSC400
Pole Position

Thumbs up

Well got everything back together yesterday and it started right up. No problems at all. I guess its normal for the TB to advance on the cam gears, I figured it was ok since the TB advanced on all three gears not just one. Thanks for all the help guys, the next VVTi cam gear/TB change will be a breeze.
Old 02-21-09, 08:09 AM   #7
99SC42
gte & na-t

Well i try to replace mine yesterday i was half way there when the Crank pulley bolt wouldn't come lose i broke 3 of my breaker bar finally i just put everything back and went home ,i am going to mess with it next week. Congrat man
Old 02-21-09, 10:22 AM   #8
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (1)

Send a message via AIM to JeffTsai

Yep the belt moves fowads one tooth every rotation or so. It's normal. I think its because the cam gears have odd number or teeth and the crank has even. Something like that. I never bothered to count but that's just my theory lol.

Also, keep in mind. Most modern cars with more sophisticated ECU's can compensate for timing being off by 1 or 2 teeth. Of course it's always best to line it up exactly, but I'm just letting you know the ecu has a very slight tolerance for error.

Please email me instead of PM. I don't always empty the PM, and I don't check it as often.
Email me here and it goes direct to my phone powerdynamix@gmail.com
JeffTsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-09, 06:24 AM   #9
SATXSC400
Pole Position

I found it much easier to remove the front bumper and use one of those 1" 1600 Ftlb diesel impact guns to bust loose the crank bolt.
Old 04-09-14, 07:35 PM   #10
blueis6
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATXSC400 View Post
^ Thanks for the help so far guys, I really appreciate it. But I did actually did put the 10mm Hex bolt back on and made sure the VVTi cam gear rotates the 30 degrees and stops right at 12 O'clock aligned with the mark on the metal back plate. I put everything back on with the cam gears aligned with the back plate and tensioner pin pulled out. I then rotate the assembly to make sure the belt doesn't jump timing, its a habit of mine. I've always done that step to make sure it the belt doesn't jump. But on this motor with each full rotation of the crank I notice the belt advances a tooth each time. I know it does because I marked the new T-belt. Is this normal for a VVTi motor? I just did a 2002 Is300 last week and I don't recall it doing that. I definitely know Honda motors don't do that.
Hey, I know this is an old post but I'm stuck on my timing or whatever it is. I removed the VVTI and turned it too much. I need to get it back right. So turning it a full 360 don't matter as long as it's on the marks? What is this 30 degree thing and stopping on the timing marks? Can you elaborate on how to do this? Can't find no info online. So mine from the timing point 60 degree btdc or the circle on the cam can rotate about 30 degrees clockwise until it stops. Is that right? Or is it supposed to be able to move counter clockwise from the 60 degree btdc till it stops? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by blueis6; 04-09-14 at 07:38 PM..
blueis6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-14, 07:35 PM