Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

GS300 and AEM FIC Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-09, 02:01 AM
ChrisT88
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS300 and AEM FIC Install

Well, as you guys know I am in the process of turbocharging my GS300 and have decided to go with the AEM FIC for now due to it's features and pricing.

At this point I'm ready to install everything and plan to start with the AEM since its suggested to get it functioning stock in the manual. I have found the two partial wiring pin schematics posted on gs300 project and it looks as if my 2001 has the 98-00 style ECU plugs but not pin layout. I understand the concept of all of this but it seems nothing matches up to the pinouts for the 98-00/01 yet the connectors on the ECU ARE those years style. I also cannot find the negative wires for the crank and cam sensor due to this (AEM seems to think the ground isn't universal for the crank/cam sensors) . On my.is I did manage to find a very brief pinout of an 01 IS300 ECU and that one actually came closer, although not quite perfect to what my pin layout is and it's major stuff like injector pins missing.

Any idea's? I am ready to get this install under way but I have a feeling this is now going to be painful
Old 01-10-09, 10:34 AM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

I just finished my FIC install today on my 98 GS3, and i was using the project gs pinout, but the pinout was upside down (kinda) I had to look at it from the passenger side, not driver side to make it all match up...maybe thats your prob..idk just try it different ways..thats seems really weird your 01 wouldn't have those type of connectors...
Old 01-10-09, 12:43 PM
ChrisT88
Rookie

Yeah I realized it was a passenger view in the first hour. Research confirmed that around hour 2. I think It may have just been late and I expected the colors to match! Looking back, I was being dumb expecting the wire and diagram colors to match! lol. Now that common sense has set in I see the colors are correct and most of the wire guages look right. FYI, I also confirmed some 01's have the 00 harness. This is where I started to doubt the diagrams and my mind just ran with it I guess, we will know if it starts up and the AEM functions.

My biggest concern right now is if the crank and cam sensors are wired correctly. I don't have any resistors on them since I think that only the O2's need them but I'm still unsure if the IS300 diagram in this post will work for me on the GS300:

http://my.is/forums/f114/wot-limp-mo...ovided-378497/

Also a little unclear as to where he suggests to ground the crank magi - & cam1 magi -.

And finally there are 2 cams but I guess only 1 cam sensor leaving the cam2 leads unused?

The AEM features look nice and it's simple enough in design considering how advanced it is but after reading the instructions and the AEM forums I seem to get more confused then help. I'm sure my lack of experience and the fact that I'm unfamiliar with the terminology and all doesn't help but it really could be a little more user friendly. There could also be more recommended vehicles on the list, it's after all in the companies best interest to give the customer the impression it will at least work on his or her car...makes me wonder if the design itself is under developed as well.
Old 01-10-09, 02:50 PM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

you are on the right track..but read this
http://forum.clubna-t.com/showthread.php?t=5140
(you might have to become a member..) post #26 download the first pdf and follow what it says about the crank and cam sensors. basically our cars dont use the MAGO- on crank or cam. follow the AEM instructions except tap (not intercept!) the negative crank and cam with MAGI- (the instructions say to intercept the signal with MAGI- AND MAGO-...dont do that lol) so just follow the pdf and the first part of the instructions...let me know if i wasn't clear enough...
-Preston
Old 01-10-09, 02:51 PM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

oh and yea..only 1 cam sensor
also..read this...
http://forum.clubna-t.com/showthread.php?t=6328
and if you end up having problems with the ground connections, connect only the signal ground to the ground on the pinout, and the 2 power grounds to the ground strap on the driver side fender.
also..where did you end up mounting your fic? and what is your turbo setup? are you done with the mechanical? or is that your next step?

Last edited by fordsvtmfl; 01-10-09 at 02:55 PM.
Old 01-11-09, 01:52 PM
beez43
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i put my fic right by the ecu box.. where did you put yours ford?
Old 01-11-09, 04:54 PM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

i ended up putting it on top of my ecu box, im going to make some kind of cover for it soon...
Old 01-11-09, 05:27 PM
beez43
Pole Position

cool... maybe we can meet up someday... halfway? I need to go to NC for some BBQ.. travel channel always screws my workout plan over..
Old 01-11-09, 09:17 PM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by beez43
cool... maybe we can meet up someday... halfway? I need to go to NC for some BBQ.. travel channel always screws my workout plan over..
lol..hey if you want some mean bbq, my father in law to be makes the best in town! lol
Old 01-12-09, 06:11 AM
beez43
Pole Position

Im THERE!!!
Old 01-15-09, 07:42 AM
ChrisT88
Rookie

Sorry for the late reply, I've been spending every minute of my spare time on tuning and completing the turbo kit. Thanks to ford for the tips and link, they came in handy but the crank sensor stuff I will have to go back over since it was already installed.

I went with pieced together XS power products and my total came to around $1050 including front mount IC, IC piping/couplers/T clamps, knock off HKS SSQV & weldless IC piping that has flange installed, XS 50mm wastegate, XS manifold/downpipe/dumptube/intake, stainless feed/stainless braided return with function7 plates (and block plate from boost logic) and a T70 .68 hot side .70 cold. I know the turbo seems a little big but this exact turbo was actually included in some XS kits. From what I have read it's bigger to reduce the stress on the cheaper turbos allowing a longer life? I just hope it gets me atleast 2-5k miles. Looking back, I could have purchased a name brand turbo and wastegate for under $2k total and had what I consider a high quality kit when compared to my Supra's Greddy T88 kit I installed in 2002.

But back to the AEM install. I have the car running for the most part. The car seems tor respond to tune changes on my AEM UEGO so I know it's partially working. My biggest concern right now is if I have the O2 deleted properly. I actually did it a stupid way by removing the entire O2 for my UEGO to get a "baseline" before the turbo setup so I spliced in at the O2 sensors and not the ECU signal lines. It was 4:30 am and I needed my car the next day so me and a friend came to a quick decision. I let him do what he needed while I finished the AEM ECU connections. I honestly thought the entire weekend was enough time for this install but reading others experiences it seems to take some weeks to get right.

My biggest concern right now is did I remove the right O2? If not I can easily purchase a new one.

Looking at the image above, I spliced together the top left and right O2's. Looking back, I think that's wrong and I should have spliced the bottom and top right O2 and probably at the ECU.

Next up is my ECU has two wire colors reversed.

The above image shows that E3-12 and E3-11 are O2 sensor pins (I assume signal) and reading fords suggested AEM/ECU pinout sheet it states that E3-12 is white and E3-11 is black but on my ECU E3-11 is black and E3-12 is white but if I'm spicing these together for the O2 delete anyways I guess it doesn't matter? I'm mostly concerned that my ECU differs from others.

I am also attaching an image of my AEM setup and a 0 to 50 MPH full throttle log of my car with no adjustments done to the FIC. I pulled the battery cable and let the car sit for 10 or 20 minutes to reset the ECU, replaced, drove around for 5-10 miles and then made this log. Can someone post a log of their AEM FIC on a stock GS3?

Sorry if I rambled, I have 20 minutes to spit this out and head off to work!

Thanks guys!
Attached Thumbnails GS300 and AEM FIC Install-notune.jpg  
Old 01-15-09, 07:45 AM
ChrisT88
Rookie

The 0 to 50 MPH log attached below. Sorry about the zip, forum wouldn't allow over 150kb or so.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
0 to 50 mph full throttle.zip (9.7 KB, 161 views)
Old 01-15-09, 09:08 AM
beez43
Pole Position

i had the same issue as far as the pinouts go but other than that, i didnt really have to worry since i planned on going open loop... i dont have emissions checks so im good... and i also just pulled out the bulb to the cel so im even better there!!
Old 01-15-09, 08:59 PM
Deception
Lexus Test Driver

well im finishing mine up soon. im not gonna hook up the o2 sensors, i guess (is it recommended). only a couple things left for me.
Old 01-16-09, 07:55 AM
ChrisT88
Rookie

Hmm, no emissions here either. Maybe I'll give open loop a try? It's either that or purchase a new O2 sensor or two. How would I go about running the car in open loop? I currently have no warning lights but wouldn't mind them if the car runs correctly during normal and hard driving.

I have also noticed I'm having a pinging sound now. I think the O2 I deleted is now causing the ECU to run too lean on 3 cylinders. Seems to runs rich on the other 3 though (the 3 cylinders I have the wideband monitoring). Turbo install starts today so I'll beable to monitor all 6 cylinders with the turbo downpipe.

Quick Reply: GS300 and AEM FIC Install