Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

P1349 VVT System Malfunction (Bank 1b) blocked oil control valve filter

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-14, 06:26 PM
Hallingp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi really appreciate all the info here.

I live in Thailand and own a 1999 Aristo (2JZ-GTE). My car operates normally up to about about 60 mph. Then if I try to accelerate, it acts as if it has no additional power to give. If I press on the accelerator at 60mph, it gets louder as if it's revving the engine but no real respone in terms of speed. Just working harder to no effect. if i reduce it goes back to normal.

Took it to the Lexus dealer here and they said I need a new Throttle Body Assembly. Aside from the cost of the repair ($1,700+), I'd need to wait for 90- days for the part to arrive on a slow boat from Japan (don't ask). My questions are:
1. How can I ensure if it really needs the whole TBA unit?

2. Is a used part (the whole TBA) a viable option? I've got someone looking for one for me in Thailand, but nothing yet. I did find one in Miami but still verifying if it actually will fit my car.

3. Related to point number 2, how interchangeable is this part. For example, the part I found in Miami says it's for the 2JZ-GTE engine which is what I have. However, in looking around online I found different part numbers for the TBA for different years or possibly for the GS-300 not the Aristo. This makes me wonder how to determine if it would fit. The part number my dealer gave me for the Throttle Body Assembly for my car (Vin 199708-200501, Model E-JZS161-BEPVZ-V) was #22030-46160. For example, I could find at Sewell a Throttle Body part number 22030-46150. How can I tell if it would work or not?

Thanks in advance for any help. I'm not a dummy when it comes to cars, but don't in-depth knowledge or tools to check myself (meters etc).

Last edited by Hallingp; 10-28-14 at 07:09 PM.
Old 11-04-14, 05:02 AM
DOPEPICS
Rookie

I bought a GS earlier this year but I haven't driven it due to my other dailies being so fun... so yesterday I jumped the battery and Drove to my job, came out for lunch and the battery had died... Got a jump and went to autozone got the battery tested and it wasn't bad just super dead and had charged to 46% on the way there... No more vsc light after I left but I got both the p0141 code and p1349.... I'm going to order the 02 sensor in a few hrs went autozone opens and get an oil change today and drop in some premium has because I drove the car last night and did not have a rough idle or misfire at startup or after an hr long drive... But I truly believe the 02 sensor is causing the weird p1349 issue.

I have an 01 gs300 with 193k

Last edited by DOPEPICS; 11-04-14 at 05:07 AM.
Old 11-15-14, 05:23 PM
Deadpool88
Rookie

Default Checking OCV

Am I right in seeing that people have applied the 12v to the solenoid, had it move and the issue was still there? Like it is moving but not far enough or the spring is not applying enough pressure to keep it closed? I ran 12v to mine and the car immediately died. Tapped the solenoid a few times and it fired right up, didn't drive 10ft and it started messing up again. Sat for a second, cleared the codes and unplugged the solenoid altogether and it fired right up.

So this is what I have done....

Cleaned OCV filter and cleared codes: Came back after about 5 miles

Ran 12v to solenoid while car was warm and running: Car stalled

Cleared codes again: Fired up and idled okay, but ran like crap before I got out of the driveway

Tapped solenoid a few times: Car fired up just fine+idled fine, soon as I moved it it stalled/hesitated

Unplugged Solenoid, cleared codes: Car fires+idles fine, drives just fine drove it for a few miles with no issue. CEL came on but I suspect it is because the solenoid is unplugged.
Old 11-21-14, 01:14 PM
Deadpool88
Rookie

Update:

Replaced OVC, 80 miles later and no issues so far.

Was like 98 bucks on amazon, ordered Sunday got it Wednesday. ToyLex or something like that on Amazon, OEM part.
Old 12-22-14, 09:46 AM
Bhalabi
Driver School Candidate

Default Code 1349

Originally Posted by BLAZE
Welcome and good info, thanx
Does the code 1349 effect the transmission shifting
Old 01-13-15, 10:53 AM
Vitaly1981
Driver School Candidate

Default Is300 2001

Originally Posted by royerd
Thought I'd pass on my experience with the Oil Control Valve.

I have a 2002 IS300 with 154,000 mi. The symptom is exactly as many other describe: after the car warms up, the idle becomes very rough, the car coughs on itself, the Engine light comes on as well as the Trac Light and VSC light kicks on. These are red herrings and a result of the code P1349 VVT.

I tried cleaning the filter but this did not fix the problem. Next, I pulled out the OCV and took a small screwdriver and pushed the solenoid back and forth to make sure it was not sticking, replaced it, problem fixed!

I intend to replace the OCV anyway since it's just $127 from the Lexus dealer and takes just 15 mins to replace.

Others elsewhere in the forum have asked where this part is in the car. On the IS300 (2002) I removed the engine cover (four 12mm nuts) and then removed the four hex screws from the VVT valve cover. Once this plastic valve cover is removed, you'll see the OCV which is identified as having a plug with two wires going into it. It has a large bolt that requires a 7/8 inch wrench to remove to clean the filter. But to replace the valve, unscrew the 12mm bolt at the top and then use a large flat-blade screwdriver to gently spread the distance between the housing and the valve. There's an O-ring that causes the valve to not just slip out--you have to sort of tug it out against the friction of the O-ring. Once out, clean, check for stickiness, and better yet--replace with a new one. --Dan
I think I need to do this one, I just recently started to get the same issue of when my car warms up a bit, the Engine light comes on and traction off starts flashing.
Hoping this is an easy fix, not really car savvy.
Old 01-15-15, 09:10 AM
Vitaly1981
Driver School Candidate

Default P1349 on 2001 IS300

I need some help, it seems when the car heats up (18min driving) the Check engine come up and the slow flashing of Traction Off goes into effect.
I've been doing some reading about this issue and it seems many users post something about the Oil Control Valve - and once replaced all goes back to normal.

Is there a way of verifying if that will fix the problem before purchasing that part?

oh, the milage is 233,777 - as of this morning.
Old 01-15-15, 09:39 AM
DriftOner
Rookie

Just had this same problem. I literally just changed the oil and everything has been fine for 1,000 miles so far. It had been quite a while since I last changed the oil
Old 01-17-15, 03:54 AM
Deadpool88
Rookie

Originally Posted by Vitaly1981
I need some help, it seems when the car heats up (18min driving) the Check engine come up and the slow flashing of Traction Off goes into effect.
I've been doing some reading about this issue and it seems many users post something about the Oil Control Valve - and once replaced all goes back to normal.

Is there a way of verifying if that will fix the problem before purchasing that part?

oh, the milage is 233,777 - as of this morning.
The only thing I did to do any sort of process of elimination was clean the filter which didn't help, then I unplugged the OCV and drove the car. It was throw a CEL (obviously it would) BUT it didn't buck and stutter and try to die. I didn't drive it hard but took it up to average speed and back down etc. Plugged it back in, reset the codes and after a couple mins the CEL and VSC and all the awesome crap that comes with a bad OVC came right back.
Old 01-20-15, 03:04 PM
nucklbust
Driver School Candidate

Guys seriously just change the ocv. Stop with the guessing, stop with the testing. It's broke, change it. It's not the filter, it never is. & yes that test where u apply 12volts don't work either. My ocv went bad & it responded to the 12v test as normal as it should. Just change it, $75 on eBay & ur done. All u ppl pulling the ocv out & doing all the cleaning & tests r wasting ur time, u coulda changed it already & we all wouldn't be getting notifications with the same questions that have been asked for years. Make sure you read the whole thread, all 16 pages of it cause the same questions that were answered 5 yrs ago r still being asked. If u have a cel lite on, ur traction lite is on & u get this code there's no shortcuts. Change it & be done with it in 15 min.
Old 01-26-15, 07:14 AM
Vitaly1981
Driver School Candidate

Default P1349 on 2001 IS300

Originally Posted by nucklbust
Guys seriously just change the ocv. Stop with the guessing, stop with the testing. It's broke, change it. It's not the filter, it never is. & yes that test where u apply 12volts don't work either. My ocv went bad & it responded to the 12v test as normal as it should. Just change it, $75 on eBay & ur done. All u ppl pulling the ocv out & doing all the cleaning & tests r wasting ur time, u coulda changed it already & we all wouldn't be getting notifications with the same questions that have been asked for years. Make sure you read the whole thread, all 16 pages of it cause the same questions that were answered 5 yrs ago r still being asked. If u have a cel lite on, ur traction lite is on & u get this code there's no shortcuts. Change it & be done with it in 15 min.

TRUE THAT< got the part from the Lexus dealer - replaced it and now car runs with no problems.

Thank All,
Vitaly
Old 03-05-15, 03:58 PM
Bnard1000
Driver School Candidate

Question gs400 ocv

hi i have a 2000 gs400 i replace both OCV car ran find until i was sitting with the car runing i was park watching a movie and it started to shake like it was missfiring so the VSC VSC oFF light came back but when i give it gas it ok then i let go of the gas then it was ok for a min than start to shake again any help please
Old 03-05-15, 05:31 PM
lexo98
Racer

Received 263 Likes on 226 Posts

232k and I got the P1349 code. I replaced the OCV valve and it came back. Was low on oil and added and the light came back. Took out the filter and it had some crusty junk on it. Cleaned it out and code is gone. Yes it was the filter.
Old 03-06-15, 04:27 AM
Bnard1000
Driver School Candidate

Do you have a gs400 if so do you ha e a DIY on the filter
Old 03-06-15, 09:45 PM
lexo98
Racer

Received 263 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Bnard1000
Do you have a gs400 if so do you ha e a DIY on the filter
I have a GS300. I haven't seen the 400 diagram but just look for the oil supply line. Mine had a 22mm Bolt. It was under the OCV valve.

Quick Reply: P1349 VVT System Malfunction (Bank 1b) blocked oil control valve filter