Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

P1349 VVT System Malfunction (Bank 1b) blocked oil control valve filter

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-12, 09:26 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by az-dave
16 only has 1 bank, not 2. V6 has 2, V8 has 2. etc.

There are never bank 2 codes on a 2JzGE I6. The 2 headers are simply there for design/engineering. Banks has to do with fuel rails and intake/cams. The I6 only has 1 fuel rail and intake 1 cam, and therefore doesnt have a 2nd bank to send info to the ECU.

Just for clarification.
Interesting... I figure it's 2 banks since it has a Cat on each bank and the pre-lambda sensors are shown as Bank 1 & Bank 2. Can you clarify?

In addition, if you hooked up a scanner and watch the fuel trim STFT and LTFT does it have bank 1 and bank 2?
Old 03-01-12, 08:55 AM
cmara2k9
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cmara2k9
ok so to be clear i have a GS300 so do i have to remove the cover to do this or do i just unplug the black plug and undo the bolt underneath it and pull?

is that pretty much it and based on my picture where are the bolts that need to be undone?
Bump.......
Attached Thumbnails P1349 VVT System Malfunction (Bank 1b) blocked oil control valve filter-ocv2.jpg  
Old 03-01-12, 09:51 AM
mexikan
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

first you have remove the cover it has 4 allen bolts I think they're 4 or 5 mm and then there's a 10 mm bolt that holds the solenoid in....and the big bolt i think its a 15/16 or 7/8 that big one has a screen inside you have to clean it out and theres a 10 mm bolt that holds the line in it will be easier to do if you take it out. I already did it on my car you'll be done in about 30 min..
I hope this helps you out..any questions you can pm.. me
Old 03-02-12, 08:21 AM
Hardrvin
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I haven’t searched too hard so if this has already be done, oh well. I was doing this last night and had a request to provide info so I went ahead and snapped some pictures and figured I could do a little tutorial.

First remove the forward vanity cover on the front of the engine. It is 4, 5mm allen bolts.

Name:  IMAG0113.jpg
Views: 8077
Size:  88.6 KB

Once cover is removed you can see the VVT solenoid. Disconnect the connector, and remove the 10mm bolt that holds the solenoid in.

Name:  IMAG0114.jpg
Views: 10634
Size:  101.8 KB

Give solenoid a minor twist to break free and then pull to get it out. Should come straight out.

Name:  IMAG0115.jpg
Views: 13184
Size:  83.3 KB

While solenoid was out, I decided to change the oil supply line filter. Yes, you can just clean it out, but at $5 I see no reason to not just replace it. Loosen 22mm banjo bolt and pull it out.

Name:  IMAG0116.jpg
Views: 7421
Size:  90.3 KB

Bolt w/ new screen versus old. Screen just pops out end of bolt. I’d recommend hosing down the bolt w/ some brake cleaner.

Name:  IMAG0117.jpg
Views: 7233
Size:  107.5 KB

Reassemble everything in reverse order. Technically you should replace the washers on both sides of the banjo; I skipped out and didn’t have issues w/ leaks. Typically you can get away w/out doing, but I figured I’d mentioned them anyway. There’s one on each side of the banjo.

Also of note, on the new VVT solenoid (and old) there is an oring to seal it in the bore. Apply some oil to the oring prior to install. This will help prevent it from getting cut while installing.
Old 03-02-12, 09:05 AM
cmara2k9
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Hardrvin
I haven’t searched too hard so if this has already be done, oh well. I was doing this last night and had a request to provide info so I went ahead and snapped some pictures and figured I could do a little tutorial.

First remove the forward vanity cover on the front of the engine. It is 4, 5mm allen bolts.

Once cover is removed you can see the VVT solenoid. Disconnect the connector, and remove the 10mm bolt that holds the solenoid in.

Give solenoid a minor twist to break free and then pull to get it out. Should come straight out.

While solenoid was out, I decided to change the oil supply line filter. Yes, you can just clean it out, but at $5 I see no reason to not just replace it. Loosen 22mm banjo bolt and pull it out.

Bolt w/ new screen versus old. Screen just pops out end of bolt. I’d recommend hosing down the bolt w/ some brake cleaner.

Reassemble everything in reverse order. Technically you should replace the washers on both sides of the banjo; I skipped out and didn’t have issues w/ leaks. Typically you can get away w/out doing, but I figured I’d mentioned them anyway. There’s one on each side of the banjo.

Also of note, on the new VVT solenoid (and old) there is an oring to seal it in the bore. Apply some oil to the oring prior to install. This will help prevent it from getting cut while installing.
Thank You Thank You Hardrvin (Somebody get this guy a pair of vossens or something)

I defintley have searched and there was no clear DIY with pictures for the 300
This is gonna help alot of future people who have this problem who are far from mechanics
I'm gonna do this sunday for sure now...........
Old 03-02-12, 11:38 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I may have to tuck my tail about 2 banks, at least on the exhaust...Crap, Ive never seen a bank 2 code at all on the GS300.

The ECU very well may have 2 banks on the I6 for exhaust, and one bank for intake, here is a link to a diagram for all: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/2732025-post3.html

I dont know if thats an official Lexus diagram or not, but it definitely shows a bank 1 and bank 2, each with a front and rear sensor for the exhaust side.

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Interesting... I figure it's 2 banks since it has a Cat on each bank and the pre-lambda sensors are shown as Bank 1 & Bank 2. Can you clarify?

In addition, if you hooked up a scanner and watch the fuel trim STFT and LTFT does it have bank 1 and bank 2?
Old 03-02-12, 02:33 PM
Hardrvin
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

^ Emm...I want to say it has a O2 pre cat on each but I'm guessing at this point based on loose memory from doing the active test on the diagnostic tool and seeing ST and LT fuel trims for a bank 1 and 2. But yea, really vague memory there.

On that note, replacing the solenoid probably won't remove the check engine light immediately. You may have to drive it around for so many "cycles," have it cleared, or disconnect the battery for a bit to clear it. I had the tool, so didn't really mess with it much to clear it. Maybe someone else has some input.
Old 03-06-12, 12:42 PM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Replacing my solenoid didnt remove the check engine light. I went to Autozone and used the handheld to remove the code.

I think it takes several complete on-off drive cycles to clear the light.
Old 03-06-12, 01:14 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by az-dave
Replacing my solenoid didnt remove the check engine light. I went to Autozone and used the handheld to remove the code.

I think it takes several complete on-off drive cycles to clear the light.
It takes 40-80 warmup cycles to clear on its own.
Old 03-06-12, 03:00 PM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Yep..thats why I went to Autozone. Its free and easy. :-)

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
It takes 40-80 warmup cycles to clear on its own.
Old 03-19-12, 07:49 PM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

Hey guys, which OCV should I purchase?

15330-46010
or
15330-46011

The 46011 is listed on the sewell lexus site but the 46010 is listed in many forums as the part number. I feel as though one part is an updated revision that will work better or last longer than the other part.
Old 03-19-12, 08:34 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by imjohnphan

15330-46010
or
15330-46011

The 46011 is listed on the sewell lexus site but the 46010 is listed in many forums as the part number. I feel as though one part is an updated revision that will work better or last longer than the other part.
I believe the different part number represent the sides of the bank. Find out you need it for Bank 1 or Bank 2.
Old 03-20-12, 08:46 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

The 46011 replaced the 46010. Either will work. I went thru this same discovery when I bought my OCV from Lexus dealer, they confirmed the 11 will work. And it does. :-)

You only need 1 OCV if you have the GS300. 2 if you have the V8 400.

Originally Posted by imjohnphan

15330-46010
or
15330-46011

Old 04-05-12, 08:58 AM
sidwin
Pole Position

Do you just clean the solenoid or do you replace both the solenoid and filter?
Old 04-05-12, 10:52 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

If your getting the code, you need to replace the Solenoid/Valve (which is one piece). Replacing the Solenoid/Valve is easy and does NOT give access to the filter.

As for the filter, just Clean it. Its about the size and shape of a sewers thimble (never thought I EVER use that word) and its a Billet aluminum machined housing with a fine-mesh SS screen. Its virtually indestructible unless you purposely poke the screen. It cleans very good with carb/brake cleaner. Its not a paper filter and has no internal parts for stuff to lodge in.

Some people replace the filter cuz its not too expensive, but the design of it makes replacing it a moot point.

BTW: The GS300 tranny uses a non-disposable SS screen filter as well. Its only serviceable by removing the entire tranny pan and removing the filter, then spraying with cleaner. Kinda wierd. But it obviously works cuz L's last a long long time. They dont even recommend a service interval for it. I did mine at 175K. It was virtually clean.

Originally Posted by sidwin
Do you just clean the solenoid or do you replace both the solenoid and filter?

Quick Reply: P1349 VVT System Malfunction (Bank 1b) blocked oil control valve filter