Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

P1349 VVT System Malfunction (Bank 1b) blocked oil control valve filter

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-16, 02:03 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by sbagdon
I read post 67, and I have to say... maybe it's vehicle-specific, maybe it's my concern with breaking something, yet I could see no way of getting the OCVs out, without loosening the TB. If anything, the right OCV even had to have the loom over it loosened, by removing the two retaining bolts (it's the loom that runs under your red/blue line, on the right OCV), so the loom would come up some. Maybe there is a way to get the OCVs out without loosening the TB, yet I just couldn't figure out how to do it. Yet since loosening the TB only requires removing the two top nuts and two bottom bolts, it only adds 5-10min to the job.

Good news is, 12 codes went away, so the check-engine light went out. Bad news is, 2 codes came back, and it's now stumbling (didn't with the OCVs unplugged). After the car heats up to operating temp, idle will drop to 800rpm, yet every few seconds, it'll dip to 400-500rpm for a cylinder, then jump back up to 800rpm. In the absence of reading the entire thread... what's the next idea, after the OCVs have been replaced, and the ODB-II codes say VVT-i? Acceleration and driving off idle is night-and-day from before, yet would be nice to get rid of this next challenge.
Well, we have the same motor (internally they are a tad different but otherwise the same) and i did it (twice) without removing anything other than the valve cover

depends ....whats the codes
Old 03-29-16, 05:27 PM
sbagdon
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
Well, we have the same motor (internally they are a tad different but otherwise the same) and i did it (twice) without removing anything other than the valve cover

depends ....whats the codes
Don't know what to tell you... they just couldn't come out, without more clearance, and moving the throttle-body "forward" dealt with that space/time coincidence issue.

Y'know, as I was typing that, I knew that would come up. iPhone ODB-II reader app says Current is P1346 and P1351, and Pending is P1346 and P1351. So I presume it's recurring.
Old 04-01-16, 08:48 AM
sbagdon
Advanced

The pax-side OCV connector was broken by the PO, had zip-tied it after the repair. This morning, had the chance to replace the OCV plug (now "clicks" on), and installed a vacuum cap for the MAF-side port on top of the TB. Cleared the codes, will see what comes up next.
Old 04-01-16, 11:59 AM
Scraape
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

in my experience, this code is not the OCV filter, but rather the OCV itself
Old 04-01-16, 12:43 PM
sbagdon
Advanced

Originally Posted by Scraape
in my experience, this code is not the OCV filter, but rather the OCV itself
Replaced both, with new-in-box Lexus units. Codes came back during lunch drive. Light stumbling at throttle, and noticing light hesitation when cruising at highway speeds. PO had the starter replaced before selling... wonder if that is contributing to this mess. Aside from the code, it's not bad... just irritating as heck.
Old 04-03-16, 02:42 PM
sbagdon
Advanced

Codes remaining are P1346 (sensor problem bank 1), P1351 (sensor problem bank 2) and P0420 (issues with cat 1?). So looks like fixing P1349 fixed the system enough to lead to the next issue. Heading over to that thread.
Old 05-30-16, 08:18 PM
pepperref
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OCV filter was only issue

I had terrible shuddering idle problem after the engine warmed up in my '99 GS300 (235,000 miles). The VSC and VSC OFF lights lit up on the dash. The codes I read were P1346, P1349, and P300-P306. The P300 misfire series is obviously the result of the idle problem. After researching the P1346 & P1349 codes here at Club Lexus I decided to check the OCV filter since it was the easiest point to start with.

Using the drawing on the original post as a reference, I removed the 20mm Union Bolt. A small amount of oil dripped out after the bolt was loosened but not much. I carefully unscrewed the Union Bolt and removed it from the engine. The filter is only attached to the Union Bolt through friction. It just pulled right off. The screen was not nearly as dirty as the photo from the OP, but it was at least 50% clogged. I've been using Mobil 1 High Mileage since I bought the car 2 years ago, but this could easily be the first time the filter was inspected since new. I carefully brushed the mesh and blasted it liberally with brake cleaner. I repeated the process until I could easily see through the screen. I also cleaned out any gunk in the Union Bolt before I reattached the filter to the Union Bolt. I inserted the bolt/filter assembly back into the engine block. I erased the codes before test driving.

I'm happy to say that the shuddering idle has not returned after the engine has warmed up and I put about 20 miles on the odometer. I rechecked the codes and have no codes or pending codes. The only I/M that hasn't reset is the CAT monitor.

I'll update my experience after putting some more miles on it.
Old 05-31-16, 06:58 PM
lexo98
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by pepperref
I had terrible shuddering idle problem after the engine warmed up in my '99 GS300 (235,000 miles). The VSC and VSC OFF lights lit up on the dash. The codes I read were P1346, P1349, and P300-P306. The P300 misfire series is obviously the result of the idle problem. After researching the P1346 & P1349 codes here at Club Lexus I decided to check the OCV filter since it was the easiest point to start with.

Using the drawing on the original post as a reference, I removed the 20mm Union Bolt. A small amount of oil dripped out after the bolt was loosened but not much. I carefully unscrewed the Union Bolt and removed it from the engine. The filter is only attached to the Union Bolt through friction. It just pulled right off. The screen was not nearly as dirty as the photo from the OP, but it was at least 50% clogged. I've been using Mobil 1 High Mileage since I bought the car 2 years ago, but this could easily be the first time the filter was inspected since new. I carefully brushed the mesh and blasted it liberally with brake cleaner. I repeated the process until I could easily see through the screen. I also cleaned out any gunk in the Union Bolt before I reattached the filter to the Union Bolt. I inserted the bolt/filter assembly back into the engine block. I erased the codes before test driving.

I'm happy to say that the shuddering idle has not returned after the engine has warmed up and I put about 20 miles on the odometer. I rechecked the codes and have no codes or pending codes. The only I/M that hasn't reset is the CAT monitor.

I'll update my experience after putting some more miles on it.
I remember that being a 2 trip code. During the first trip it stores the code. Then during the second trip it will trigger the check engine light. I had issues and everytime I reset the code it came back after my second 10 mile trip
Old 06-04-16, 10:11 AM
pepperref
Driver School Candidate

Default This time for sure

My excitement was shortlived. The shudder came back after about 30 miles of driving.

Step 2 was the next easiest thing to do. I removed the OCV itself. I did the 12V test and noticed that the plunger did move, but not very much. Thinking that I was going to replace it anyway, I took it apart. I removed the c-clip, the spring retaining cup, the spring, and the plunger. I cleaned the entire part with brake cleaner. I noticed there were some small bits stuck to the inside of the cylinder that looked like black grains of sand, which did not come off with the brake cleaner. I carefully used an exacto knife to scrape off the grains and sprayed it again with brake cleaner. I reassembled the OCV and did another 12V test. The plunger's travel distance was definitely longer. I reinstalled the OCV and I'm happy to say that I'm over 200 miles with no repeat of the shuddering idle problem. No codes or warning lights.

In reviewing what I found on this site and youtube, it seems to me that since the plunger is only moved by magnetic force, it may not take too much interference (black grains of sand) to stop it from moving the way it needs to.
Old 06-20-16, 12:35 PM
pacotaco34
Driver School Candidate

So I just stumbled upon this thread after running out of ideas and my friend told me to try the vvt-i system. My car (02 GS430) exhibits the symptoms (after 20-30 minutes of driving it's gut slow below 3k, and still pretty slow after that) but the idle doesn't die down like other people seemed to report. Also, the car throws codes 325 and 330, both knock sensors, not the vvt-i system. About 5 months ago it was throwing 325 and I replaced both knock sensors though. It also throws some random BS emissions codes (440 and 446) that I don't think affect anything. Has anyone thrown codes other than for the vvt-i system, replaced the OCVs and fixed their problem? Like I said the car exhibits the symptoms, I'm just wary of dropping $250 on something that the ECU isn't pointing me towards..
Old 01-19-17, 08:14 PM
engr2048
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Does anyone know if the '98 SC400 uses filters inline with the VVT control valves? I haven't found any but I'm getting P1349 and while I'm cleaning the valve, I'd like to replace the filters if there are any.

'98 SC400, '92 300ZXTT, '73 SD455
Old 01-20-17, 11:38 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by engr2048
Does anyone know if the '98 SC400 uses filters inline with the VVT control valves? I haven't found any but I'm getting P1349 and while I'm cleaning the valve, I'd like to replace the filters if there are any.
yours should look EXACTLY like the DIY I did in post # 67 for the V8's, filter is internal
Old 01-22-17, 10:35 PM
engr2048
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Huge thanks Sakataj

Great post....it was a huge help.
Old 01-24-17, 02:36 AM
kyancy
Driver School Candidate

I know this thread old, but trying to find where this is located on an RX 350 as layout different from the 300. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-20-17, 09:35 AM
vbhalla24
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sbagdon
Replaced both, with new-in-box Lexus units. Codes came back during lunch drive. Light stumbling at throttle, and noticing light hesitation when cruising at highway speeds. PO had the starter replaced before selling... wonder if that is contributing to this mess. Aside from the code, it's not bad... just irritating as heck.

How many OCVs are in 2000 Lexus GS300 engine (2JZ-GE)? I have been able to figure out one so far based on youtube videos and other material i have seen on net so far. If there is another second one too then can someone provide a video or extact location details of the second OCV?

Quick Reply: P1349 VVT System Malfunction (Bank 1b) blocked oil control valve filter