Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

P1349 VVT System Malfunction (Bank 1b) blocked oil control valve filter

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-13, 11:15 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

SMACK DOWN - I knew I saw someone post about the V8, but I sure as heck wasnt gunna go dig for it....hehehe

LOL

Originally Posted by sakataj
U for 100% didnt read every post of this thread because if you had you would have seen where i did a write up for the GS430 which essentially is the same motor as the SC400/LS400/LS430/GS400. also if you had actually read this thread you would know a few members and myself stated the OCV filter is built into the V8 models. you need to replace your whole OCV

i did.....on post # 67.....but yeah, he def read EVERY post on this thread
Old 04-19-13, 02:45 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by az-dave
SMACK DOWN - I knew I saw someone post about the V8, but I sure as heck wasnt gunna go dig for it....hehehe

LOL
i did only to prove his point incorrect.... i would so much rather someone say im being lazy and i dont feel like searching than to sit there and lie and say "i read everything"

i appreciated the OP for making this post it got me informed as to what i needed to do when mine went bad, i didnt wanna make my own but now i feel i should have
Old 04-19-13, 03:36 PM
johnniehd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your clarification. I did read every post on this thread including yours. I was just confused by the diagram and the many mentions of the OCV filter on this and other threads. When there are multiple information, piecing them together is part of the challenge. Regardless, I appreciate this threads like this. It helped me when I had to change the alternator and fixing the PSP.
Old 04-22-13, 05:05 PM
Clifton
Rookie

I have posted on the 1uz screens. I may have even posted up the factory manual pics, can't remember. They are under the front cam towers. It is a PITA if that is all you are doing. If you are close to changing the timing belt it will save some time. I cleaned mine and all was fine for about two years and now I will have to do it again as I am getting the codes again. Unfortunately I bought a car that someone did not do regular oil changes on. Running thinner oil, 5-30 will get you by for a little while.

Originally Posted by az-dave
johnn: Thats prob cuz this thread is for GS's with the I-6 engine.

But...that being said, I would have swore someone posted a few pages back on where the OCV's are located on the V8's (there are 2 of them, since the V-8 has 2 VVTi cams)

You may jog over the the LS4xx forums and try a search for that engine code if this thread doesnt help.

Or try googleing that code and LS400 and that might find the OCV thing in the LS forums (ive found it easier to google search for clublexus than using the search tab...just my take on it)

In any event, since yours is the LS, not the GS, whatever you find out may help others if you post info on the LS forums.
Old 06-09-13, 02:45 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I have looked at Sewell's diagram for OCV 15330-46010, but do not see the oil control filter bolt and screen. Can any one point me to it on Sewell's diagram or provide part#s

2002 GS300
Old 06-11-13, 09:49 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

For the sake of all thats good, read the thread - Post #1 of this thread shows precisely the location of the filter.

Now, With that said, its 99% not your filter but the OCV valve itself. Nobody ever seems to discover a blocked filter.

Did you Try any of the diagnostics to test the valve itself, if not, go back 10 pages, and read the posts and you will see detailed instructions on how to easily test the valve itself, its easy, take less than 10 minutes.

There are part numbers, etc.

Originally Posted by burny
I have looked at Sewell's diagram for OCV 15330-46010, but do not see the oil control filter bolt and screen. Can any one point me to it on Sewell's diagram or provide part#s

2002 GS300
Old 10-26-13, 09:14 PM
josh99ta
Driver School Candidate

Question, I need to replace the OCV in my 2001 195k mile IS300. I'm having the typical problems and P1346 + misfire codes so I unplugged the solenoid and reset the ECU which solved the miss/hesitation/rough idle. The dealer won't be open until Monday and I need to go a few places tomorrow. Can I safely drive the car with the solenoid unplugged as long as I keep revs down or might I do some harm to the engine by driving with VVTi deactivated?
Old 11-11-13, 07:01 PM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Sorry for the late reply, but the VVTi system should not damage anything with the solenoid unplugged. It should default to a retarded-timing which is less power and prevent pre-detination.

It may run so rough that it feels as though its falling apart, but the valves cannot be damaged.

But you may find yourself stalling out at intersections...which may be dangerous...in Phoenix, you would get creamed in half of our intersections, so keep the stalling in mind.

Originally Posted by josh99ta
Question, I need to replace the OCV in my 2001 195k mile IS300. I'm having the typical problems and P1346 + misfire codes so I unplugged the solenoid and reset the ECU which solved the miss/hesitation/rough idle. The dealer won't be open until Monday and I need to go a few places tomorrow. Can I safely drive the car with the solenoid unplugged as long as I keep revs down or might I do some harm to the engine by driving with VVTi deactivated?
Old 11-18-13, 04:12 AM
josh99ta
Driver School Candidate

Update: I had to drive over that weekend so I unplugged it and drove it like a Prius and it ran a smooth as could be. Replaced the VVTi solenoid first thing on Monday and it ran perfectly fine again. Glad it was as simple as that to fix.
Old 11-26-13, 06:33 AM
Chris1616
Driver School Candidate

Default Oil Control Valve Faulty

2001 GS300

Recently had the stalling problem and Service Engine light came in followed by VSC and VSC OFF lights (sympathy codes). Had the codes read and it pointed to VVTi issue (forget exact code).
Checked oil control valve filter and it was very clean. Tested oil control valve (VVTi solenoid) as per procedure posted here and it appeared ok. Still suspected OCV as the problem as it would only occur when vehicle heated up and appeared intermittent,. This pointed to an electrical problem to me and other than the ECU the OCV is the only other electrical part in this system. Since the OCV was an easy fix I decided to order one and give it a try. Only 2 at Lexus dealerships "in all of Canada" and it was in BC (I'm in Ontario) and the stealership wanted $205 plus tax! Found one online somewhere near Detroit (Page Auto) and had it shipped for $120.
Changed OCV valve yesterday, which took about 15 mins, and car now purrs like a kitten again . So the bottom line is if you are having the symtoms described in this thread it is most likely the OCV, even if it appears ok. It's worth a try to change it because it's fairly cheap and if that's not it and you don't have the time or resources, you're most likely into some heavy diagnostics (ie. big bucks) with a qualified mechanic.

Cheers!
Old 11-26-13, 06:57 AM
01gs3
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris1616
2001 GS300

Recently had the stalling problem and Service Engine light came in followed by VSC and VSC OFF lights (sympathy codes). Had the codes read and it pointed to VVTi issue (forget exact code).
Checked oil control valve filter and it was very clean. Tested oil control valve (VVTi solenoid) as per procedure posted here and it appeared ok. Still suspected OCV as the problem as it would only occur when vehicle heated up and appeared intermittent,. This pointed to an electrical problem to me and other than the ECU the OCV is the only other electrical part in this system. Since the OCV was an easy fix I decided to order one and give it a try. Only 2 at Lexus dealerships "in all of Canada" and it was in BC (I'm in Ontario) and the stealership wanted $205 plus tax! Found one online somewhere near Detroit (Page Auto) and had it shipped for $120.
Changed OCV valve yesterday, which took about 15 mins, and car now purrs like a kitten again . So the bottom line is if you are having the symtoms described in this thread it is most likely the OCV, even if it appears ok. It's worth a try to change it because it's fairly cheap and if that's not it and you don't have the time or resources, you're most likely into some heavy diagnostics (ie. big bucks) with a qualified mechanic.

Cheers!

I also have an 01 gs300.

My problem happened about 2 weeks ago. Cleaned the filter and it ran better for about 20 miles. Ordered the actual OCV and new filter and that solved the problem (I hope). I'm about 500 miles into the new parts and no hiccups yet.

Great thread!
Old 11-27-13, 05:22 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
If all maintenance was done on time and good oil is used, that should not happen at all.
Not true buddy! My GS is an 02 with 275k miles and i just going throught this issue.

All the maintenance done on the car, I do my own work.

i got 275k miles out the original part, so i am not complaining
Old 11-27-13, 09:32 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Agreed

Mine had almost 250K when the OCV valve went bad...had nothing to do with oil, its the electrical solenoid that basically goes bad.

Originally Posted by Quicksc4
Not true buddy! My GS is an 02 with 275k miles and i just going throught this issue.

All the maintenance done on the car, I do my own work.

i got 275k miles out the original part, so i am not complaining
Old 11-29-13, 11:55 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Dave- I replaced the OCV yesterday with a spare one i had laying around , Problem fixed!!!
Old 12-02-13, 10:18 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Sweet!

I have a question though...why did you just happen to have a space OCV valve just "laying around" LOL???

Originally Posted by Quicksc4
Dave- I replaced the OCV yesterday with a spare one i had laying around , Problem fixed!!!

Quick Reply: P1349 VVT System Malfunction (Bank 1b) blocked oil control valve filter