Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

P1349 VVT System Malfunction (Bank 1b) blocked oil control valve filter

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-13, 01:59 PM
LexiGS4ty
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got a P1356 Code on the OCV Passenger side, symtpoms are hesitation on idle, and engine runs sluggish anything after 80km/h its fine, replaced the OCV and no problems so far on 450KMs

Last edited by LexiGS4ty; 03-21-13 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 03-25-13, 03:43 AM
Jackmk9
Driver School Candidate

My Toyota Altezza gave me this error
P1349 VVT System Malfunction (Bank 1), I need help to sort out the problem which might be due to blocked oil control valve filter. What part do i replace is it the oil control valve filter.
Old 03-25-13, 06:37 AM
randylynch
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all you help! Mine was the OCV as well. A couple quick points. On a 1999 GS300 with inline 6 the OCV is located under the plastic shroud that's around were you put your oil in, to the right as your looking at it.

The inline 6 only has one OCV. Get the current part number from lexus and do a search for just the part number. I found it for $99.00 online. Sadly I search for just the OCV valve and nobody had it so I bought the part from lexus for $160.00. Very easy to install.
Old 03-25-13, 06:52 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackmk9
My Toyota Altezza gave me this error
P1349 VVT System Malfunction (Bank 1), I need help to sort out the problem which might be due to blocked oil control valve filter. What part do i replace is it the oil control valve filter.
glad you searched to find this but its like after that you give up and just post. please try reading the thread.....

start on page 1 and OP gives you part #'s which should be the same for the Alteeza (USDM model IS300) and since it uses the same motor the Gs300 does you should be able to use that.

BTW what is South Africa like now-a-days? had a white soccer coach from Johannesburg when i was a kid and he used to tell me of the constant strife in the city between the cultural/races......is it getting any better there?

........ welcome to our family on here
Old 03-25-13, 09:54 AM
Triton3k
Driver

I'm having the p1349 code as well with the car shaking and feeling like its gonna cut off but doesnt. I'm hoping its a simple and inexpensive fix. Im gonna give what the OP did a try and see if that fixes it.
Old 03-25-13, 11:24 AM
Triton3k
Driver

Also my VSC lights are both on. Heading to pick up the OCV from the dealer and see what happens.
Old 03-25-13, 02:54 PM
Triton3k
Driver

Ok so an update. I went and changed the OCV and had to order the small filter which wasnt in stock. So I changed the OCV quickly but when I went to remove the bolt to see if the small filter was dirty, I realized there was no filter in mines which is weird. Maybe that had something to do with some issues, but i'll be installing it tomorrow needless to say.
So after installing the OCV I reset the codes to erase the CEL and I drove it around for an hour and no issues whatsoever. No rough idling, no shaking, no lights coming on so looks like this was the cause of my problem. I'll be doing an oil change along with installing the filter tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help this thread has provided. I'll definitely be updating if anything changes.
Old 03-25-13, 04:16 PM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

A few other people have said they didnt have filters either...just FYI - the filter is made of very fine SS Mesh, and its not inside the same hole as the OCV Valve.

The filter is behind where the metal Oil line goes into the head near the OCV valve.

At 245,000+ miles, my filter was still clean with no blockage...Its just there to prevent anything from getting into the OCV valve and the VVTi pully, which is control by very fine changes in Oil pressure.

Originally Posted by Triton3k
Ok so an update. I went and changed the OCV and had to order the small filter which wasnt in stock. So I changed the OCV quickly but when I went to remove the bolt to see if the small filter was dirty, I realized there was no filter in mines which is weird. Maybe that had something to do with some issues, but i'll be installing it tomorrow needless to say.
So after installing the OCV I reset the codes to erase the CEL and I drove it around for an hour and no issues whatsoever. No rough idling, no shaking, no lights coming on so looks like this was the cause of my problem. I'll be doing an oil change along with installing the filter tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help this thread has provided. I'll definitely be updating if anything changes.
Old 03-25-13, 08:56 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Great...just got a P1349 code. The car is running perfectly fine, so maybe it was a fluke. I reset it and will see if it comes back.
Old 03-26-13, 05:36 AM
Jackmk9
Driver School Candidate

I have questions
1. Where can i locate the OCV in a Toyota Alteeza 1999 model which is similar to Gs300 (USDM model IS300).
2. Where can buy the OCV am located in Zambia, Africa and i need the OCV urgently.

Jack
Old 03-26-13, 11:25 AM
Triton3k
Driver

Originally Posted by az-dave
A few other people have said they didnt have filters either...just FYI - the filter is made of very fine SS Mesh, and its not inside the same hole as the OCV Valve.

The filter is behind where the metal Oil line goes into the head near the OCV valve.

At 245,000+ miles, my filter was still clean with no blockage...Its just there to prevent anything from getting into the OCV valve and the VVTi pully, which is control by very fine changes in Oil pressure.
gotcha. Today I was able to install the filter and replaced the screw as well. Went in like a charm and hopefully she keeps running smooth.
Old 03-26-13, 02:13 PM
Triton3k
Driver

so the CEL, and VSC lights came back on today. And I scanned it and got P1349 again even though the car isn't shaking or anything. Dont know what else it can be. Do you think it could be since I installed the filter that maybe I should reset and see what happens or would that not be a reason for the CEL to come back on?

Last edited by Triton3k; 03-26-13 at 02:22 PM.
Old 03-26-13, 05:07 PM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Ok...So youve replaced the OCV with a new one, and then put the filter in correct?

Here is my suggestion: Clear the code right now, and see if it comes back. If it comes back, take the OCV filter out, clear the code, and see if the code comes back.

If the code comes back after removing the filter, then might as well put the filter back in, and then perform the test on the OCV itself, where you get the engine hot, and then unplug the OCV and apply 12V across the pins of the solenoid...it should stall or almost stall the engine. Do this for about 10 times for 15-30 seconds a time (unless it stalls in which case just restart and apply 12 Volts again) - the reason for doing this is to see if the new solenoid has an intermittent problem, applying the 12V will heat it up and expose a bad one.

If the car continues to almost/stall after 10 attempts then you can pretty much bet the new OCV is good.

At which point you need to start looking at possible issue with the VVTi Cam/pulley or possible camshaft sensor.

If it continues to throw the light but runs fine, then you can decide whether or not you want to spend $$$ on the entire VVTi system...its not cheap, and without really good equip its not possible to test the VVTi itself - and I will tell ya right now, Lexus dealer will just suggest putting a new one on then seeing what happens, then the camshaft sensor, then the entire ECU...its how they work - trial and error as hard as that is to believe, once they know its not the OCV valve, thats all they are left with.

so the CEL, and VSC lights came back on today. And I scanned it and got P1349 again even though the car isn't shaking or anything. Dont know what else it can be. Do you think it could be since I installed the filter that maybe I should reset and see what happens or would that not be a reason for the CEL to come back on?
Old 03-27-13, 06:29 AM
Triton3k
Driver

^ok kool. I'll give that a shot. Only thing I need is a multimeter to read the voltage and where exactly is the solenoid that i'm suppose to test?
I also erased the code with my scanner but after driving it this morning it came back. But i'm gonna give these steps a shot and hope this fixes my issue. The good thing is that the car isnt idling rough.
Old 03-27-13, 01:28 PM
az-dave
Lead Lap

you dont need a multimeter...apply 12 Volts to the solenoid on the OCV valve...its the part the the harness plugs into. I posted the step-by-step procedure last week or week before, so youll want to go back and read those posts.

^ok kool. I'll give that a shot. Only thing I need is a multimeter to read the voltage and where exactly is the solenoid that i'm suppose to test?
I also erased the code with my scanner but after driving it this morning it came back. But i'm gonna give these steps a shot and hope this fixes my issue. The good thing is that the car isnt idling rough.

Quick Reply: P1349 VVT System Malfunction (Bank 1b) blocked oil control valve filter