Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Whiny 2GS in the extreme cold

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-09, 07:42 PM
charmz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine does this when I hit 50 km/ph and 70 km/ph while the engine is warming up.

After the engine has hit the half way mark on the temp guage this goes away.
Old 01-22-09, 10:37 AM
Rezaxxed
Pole Position

Wow...seems like a lot of members here are experiencing the same issues. Has anybody determined if it's the serpentine belts for sure? I get the similar whinning sound on cold start ups but as soon as the temp gauge goes up...the noise disappears.
Old 01-22-09, 09:24 PM
Chumacher
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Debonair
When was the last time you changed the serpentine belt? That's the first thing I would check.
Agreed. I have to change mine as well and it makes the same noise. Debonair when did you change yours?
Old 01-22-09, 09:37 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Chumacher
Agreed. I have to change mine as well and it makes the same noise. Debonair when did you change yours?
I changed mine at 100K with the timing belt and water pump. I purchased the car used with 89K and was unsure if it had been done. No noise or issues but better safe then sorry.
Old 01-24-09, 04:44 PM
flipicanez
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My GS3 does the same thing from the rear. I panicked last year when I first heard it, but it doesn't do it when its 32+ degrees out. And I just had the Toyota dealership change the timing and the serpentine belts at the same time during the summer.
Old 01-25-09, 01:28 AM
macsta
Driver

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
Sounds normal... i have a similar issue... gets worse in the cold... but it goes away a few minutes.

It almost sounds like a quiet supercharger

yea i have the same problem the other day.. but it went away afterwards. strange.
Old 01-25-09, 08:56 AM
handzilla
Pit Crew

I've been having this issue also, and still do even after I got a new belt installed by the dealership. What's up?!
Old 01-25-09, 09:04 AM
LexFather

Pretty sure your belt pretensioner needs tightening. About a $250 job at the dealer if my memory serves me right.

Mine made that noise on and off for a couple months and I tried the WD-40 trick and it would work for the most part and need to be sprayed randomly. I finally just got it tightened and no noise since.
Old 01-25-09, 01:34 PM
charmz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Pretty sure your belt pretensioner needs tightening. About a $250 job at the dealer if my memory serves me right.

Mine made that noise on and off for a couple months and I tried the WD-40 trick and it would work for the most part and need to be sprayed randomly. I finally just got it tightened and no noise since.

So if this is an actual mechanical/maintenance issue.

WHY does it ONLY happen in the COLD ?
And ONLY happen at certain speeds?

In the summer/spring, this NEVER happens.
When I park my car in underground heated garage, this NEVER happens.
When the car is left outside in the cold for a significant amount of time, is the ONLY time this happens.
Old 12-07-10, 02:16 PM
MartijnAms
Rookie

Bump!
I'm still interested in what it can be. I'm little fed up with noises on this 'premium car' as I just solved one brake issue!

'Facts':
1) It's unlikely any belts as the noise doesn't correspond to engine revs.
2) The sound changes with speed of the car only. I think it gets less when driving and putting in neutral (so no stress on drivetrain)
3) Only cold temperatures (freezing)
4) For me the noise comes from the rear, I had some collegues in the car lately and they looked pretty scared from the noise.

Numer 3 suggest oil related problems... maybe somebody can change the diff oil and report back?
Old 12-07-10, 02:36 PM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

My car did something similar this morning for the first time (it was about 30 degrees), and my steering felt really heavy until the car started to warm up (2 miles or so).

And btw my water pump, timing belt, tensioner, and serpentine belt have all been replaced in the past 20k. And my power steering fluid was changed this past summer.
Old 02-09-11, 12:17 AM
MartijnAms
Rookie

I bought Valvoline 75W90 full synthetic TDL oil (first one in pdf). Is that ok?

First I have to fix my alarm problem but will post back if this full synthetic oil solves the diff-noise.
Old 02-15-11, 11:42 PM
MartijnAms
Rookie

Changed the diff oil with above. The oil looked very old and had strange black pieces (not large, nor metal shavings).
But the sound did not disappear! It might be even louder, but I'm not sure.

Can it still be the diff, or is it a wheel bearing?
'Facts':
> I drove already more than 2.000 km (1.200 mls) in the cold (and since then noticed the sound).
> When I bought the car I wrote down somewhere that there was a strange noise coming from the rear around 80 km/h. This was 10 months ago (end of winter)
> The sound now appears only between 55-59 km/h plus colder than 9 degrees Celsius.
> It's unlikely any belts as the noise does not correspond with engine revs.
> The sound changes with speed of the car only. I think it gets less when driving and putting in neutral (so relieve stress on drivetrain)

I might buy a high quality additive for gearboxes and see if that helps.
Maybe spray WD40 in the wheel bearing just to see if it has effect on the whistle?
Any other logic suggestions???

Note: changing the diff oil is really easy! Make sure the car is raised and level (I drove on 4 small 'platforms'). You can hold a 1 litre can of oil above fill-plug. Don't forget new seal-rings (mine where still made of aluminium- I got stainless steel ones from the dealer, is this an indication that the diff oil was from 1998-never changed?).
Old 02-16-11, 10:27 AM
Inspiredm3
Driver

Originally Posted by Johnny Rad
When it's really cold out (below freezing), my 2GS makes a humming / whining noise at about 35mph until it warms up. It's plenty audible. Doesn't start until I hit about 35mph and goes away by 40mph, regardless of whether I'm acelerating through that range or decelerating through it. It's not the radio and doesn't sonud like anything is breaking. Is it transmission or gear whine? Does anyone else experience it?
you have a hidden turbo!
Old 02-16-11, 04:49 PM
billzblaze
Rookie

im glad i live in cali baby!!!!

Quick Reply: Whiny 2GS in the extreme cold