Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Performance Clutch and Quick Shifter Kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-09, 12:37 PM
JFish08
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance Clutch and Quick Shifter Kit

I was considering throwing the performance clutch and quick shifter kit on my 06 250M. Does anyone think this is worthwhile? The stock trans is just crap IMO
Old 01-05-09, 01:49 PM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you think the stock transmission is crap, then the clutch and quick shifter kit would probably be a good investment.

I think a CL member installed these components and liked them a lot. Try to search the forum for the right thread.
Old 01-05-09, 09:29 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

dont need the clutch....just get the quick shifter....you can tell the difference!
Old 01-13-09, 11:54 PM
brtnrdr1x
Pole Position

quick shift is my next mod..jus got the f-sport intake over it but..its next!! don't bother withh a clutchh..unless ur really boredd
Old 01-29-09, 11:55 AM
tommigsr
Pole Position

quickshifter FTW, BIG diff
Old 01-29-09, 12:11 PM
badx33
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

hellll yea i love it!!! my girl thinks its sexy...lol
Old 02-05-09, 05:39 PM
mild_se7en
Rookie

i tried to post this in another forum but mostly the replies i get are from trolls, so i guess i'll try here instead.

i'm interested in purchasing the f-sport clutch for the is250 but i have a few questions. first off does anybody know how many labor hours lexus is charging for the job (i.e 6.0, 8.5)? secondly has anybody actually had this installed? can anyone please give me first hand opinions about this clutch. also, are the any other aftermarket clutches available at this time for the is250?
i have tried to do searches but i mostly get results about how the stock clutch and gearbox suck, not a lot of useful info. if anyone can give me any good information, i would greatly appreciate it.

thanks,

Last edited by mild_se7en; 02-05-09 at 05:40 PM. Reason: sp
Old 02-05-09, 09:49 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Im pretty sure each dealer will give its own price and time for labor, so you will have to go to the dealer and ask (or just call).
Old 06-09-09, 12:59 PM
AlienX
Driver School Candidate

just a dumb question: does the F-Sport Quick Shift Kit make the stick shorter?
thanks in advance.
Old 06-09-09, 01:49 PM
rac2max
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AlienX
just a dumb question: does the F-Sport Quick Shift Kit make the stick shorter?
thanks in advance.
lol, that's my impression few years ago too....the throw will be shorter, not the stick

For the original question, I got the short shifter on my 08 6MT for few weeks. The stutterness from 1st - 2nd gear will still be there. The short shifter helps a bit, but no fix. Still I would say it's a good investment
Old 06-09-09, 11:18 PM
GSE20MT
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gehhh... i'm tired of saying it so much, but all short shifters do is shorten the throw, but the throw is not the problem with the ****ty trans. the reason shifts are so slow is because of a ridiculously heavy clutch and flywheel.
i don't know all of your guys background in cars, but go drive a car with a lightweight flywheel and you'll see the difference. now the fsport clutch might give smoother engagement, but rotational mass is the key in how fast proper shifts can be made.

here's a post i made in an old thread.....

Originally Posted by motojoe
I dont think lexus will ever attend to the problem because there is so few of us with the MT .
I wish they did. There seems to be quite a few of us on here, but like you said, I don't think that's enough for them to do anything about it. I've said it over and over again, but I think all we need is a better clutch and a lightweight (or lighter at least) flywheel and the car would be perfect.

There was this guy over on my.is that supposedly made his own clutch, but he's disappeared ever since he said he finished it...

Originally Posted by TI-IS250MT @ my.IS
Originally Posted by TI-IS250MT
FYI: I am designing a new flywheel and clutch for my vehicle.. The dual mass flywheel will be replaced with an aluminum lightweight one peice and the clutch will be replaced with much stronger material and spring rates and larger diameter to utilize the full face of the pressure plate... I will be contacting the forum administrator once production nears for appropriate group buy and sponsorship compliance and see what the interest level is... Good bye lightweight crap clutch and noisy two piece flywheel.... So long crappy lexus customer service
Update: Moving along with the development of the lightweight flywheel and clutch. My 2007 IS250MT has been taken apart, transmission removed, exhaust mid section, drive shaft. Everything looks as new; the car has 24k miles on it. The clutch and flywheel are now being redeveloped. The stock setup is amazingly oversized and heavy. It weighed in at 58 lbs with the clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel assembly. The stock setup has a dual mass flywheel with a lightweight under sized clutch and oversized Supra TT type pressure plate (almost identical). The flywheel is large in diameter and thick and heavy. We are looking to drop 20 pounds of rotational mass here. We are talking a second quicker maybe more in the 0-60. It will be a one piece flywheel now very similar to the supra TT. With a stage 3 dual dampened clutch capable of handling 500+ hp. It is very streetable and is dual mass so its very quiet and smooth but will hook right up. What we are doing here is literally reversing the setup. We are going from a dual mass flywheel to a single mass, and going from a lightweight clutch to a dual mass which means we maximize the weight loss and have minimum chatter with this clutch and provide a luxury sport feel the lexus should have. The flywheel makes most of the chatter noise on take off. The clutch is noisy and overheats because it is so lightweight. I feel like the spring rates are so low mine was literally slipping and could be heard audibly by flooring the car next to a wall. Anyways I will have the parts back in my vehicle in around 3 weeks so I will update you with the results. I am very excited.
I've clocked about 1,200 miles on the new clutch/flywheel setup so far. 700 of which were strictly freeway. The clutch is breaking in quite nicely. The car has gained what seems to be around a 10% increase in fuel economy. Pulls much harder on the freeway and all around; much quicker reving car now. Overall I'm pleased with the modification and the clutch feel and engagement are much improved. My 2nd gear crunch has almost completely gone away. As far as noise, the flywheel is now a one peice and I would say it is relatively as loud as the stock setup at idle. However it is much more healthy sounding, more like a 350Z sitting at idle in the cabin... The fluttering clicking sound off the line is greatly improved. I'm just going to clock some more miles and go back and give some feedback for slight tweaking before production. It feels real nice knowing I have the only solid clutch/flywheel setup in an IS250 manual around. Oh, and with this stage 3 clutch I feel like I can just launch and hook up so good at the light, you no longer feel like you're going to break the thing. Oh and 22 pounds of rotational mass was eliminated from the flywheel/clutch setup.
and here's the original thread: http://my.is/forums/f127/is250-manua...82/index6.html
I wish he followed through with everything, but he hasn't been on since sept. last year.