Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Meth injection...

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-08, 11:30 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Meth injection...

Anyone have experience with meth. injection on their NA GS's? If so, what are some of your experiences using this mod and the pros and cons of same?

My friend at work was telling me that it REALLY works and it basically runs from you windshield washer fluid! He really wants me to by the universal Stage 2 kit from Snow Performance; it's for NA cars.

I am still a little hesitant with this mod as I am not familiar with it. Can anyone enlighten me on this subject?
Old 10-09-08, 11:41 AM
evil00017
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am very interested in this to. I have never heard of anyone runing it on a GS4 NA
Old 10-09-08, 12:14 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Pro? Nothing really
Con? wasted money

The point of methanol injection is to reduce combustion chamber's temperature, allowing you to run higher boost and/or compression before detonation sets in. Unless you have an engine running insanely high compression that exerts a lot of heat, you're not going to benefit on a stock-ish NA engine.
Old 10-09-08, 12:26 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

For NA nos>meth.
Old 10-09-08, 12:55 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I personally won't waste the money; but post pictures and run a dyno if you do it :-)
Old 10-09-08, 04:33 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Pro? Nothing really
Con? wasted money

The point of methanol injection is to reduce combustion chamber's temperature, allowing you to run higher boost and/or compression before detonation sets in. Unless you have an engine running insanely high compression that exerts a lot of heat, you're not going to benefit on a stock-ish NA engine.
What he said.
Old 10-09-08, 04:37 PM
evil00017
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea I thought meth was something you ran with a turbo application.
Old 10-09-08, 05:32 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

So it's agreed then...waste of money. Got it! Thanks guys for the heads up.
Old 10-13-08, 06:39 PM
IAGS400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I myself wouldn't put it on a N/A car, but it can be beneficial on a N/A car. It would allow you to run much higher timing because it can lower the chance of detonation. So if you decide to buy it and try it, the only real way to get any benefit would be if you had the car tuned for it with more timing.

I have a snow system on my supercharged car.
Old 10-14-08, 08:03 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

I can see how it could be beneficial on a NA car. Set the methanol pump to kick in at 70% throttle or higher. So basically, you can run 87 octane fuel in the car. Cruising around it doesn't matter, but when you nail it the methanol kicks in and instantly cools the air charge, makes it denser, and raises octane. It wouldn't be a bad idea since the methanol injection system would eventually pay for itself
Old 11-02-09, 05:45 PM
austin7891
Pole Position

thanks for this info guys. cant decide next power mod (stock save for apexi catback) k&n intake?
Old 11-02-09, 07:55 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Although I have not tried it YET... I have considered it for the following reason(s).

Our VVTi engines run MUCH stronger in cold weather. This is a combination of colder denser intake mass flow and programming. Programming has more than one variable but reads higher flow at the mass sensor and colder ambients at the IAT (intake air temp sensor). Additionally our engines use knock sensors to control peak timing. I have only my personal driving experience and not a printout of the factory ignition timing table but feel that it is conservative and is quick to pull timing. My car can vary 1/2 second or more 0-60 and 1/4 miles from cold driving to hot weather driving. This is usually calculated at 10hp per tenth or 50hp

Personally I think testing the meth idea is a good one. No guarantee of results but if you can knock 2,3,4 or more tenths off that is the equivalent of 20,30,40+ HP. The theory here is to lower intake temps to prevent ignition retard. I am sure it would be much more effective (if in fact effective at all) in hot driving conditions. It will probably take some testing to see where best to mount the nozzle and what flow rates and RPM trigger points are best. Don't forget that methanol is a fuel so it will richen the mixture.

I say if you are iching... go for it. You may find more than expected or prove other prognostications correct.
Old 11-02-09, 08:05 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

hmmm... meth... running 87 instead of 91.. save $150 yearly.. hmm..
Old 11-03-09, 03:43 AM
IAGS400
Pole Position

(small subtraction from $150)

Depending on the jet you use and how you set up the controller, you also have to consider the methanol and distilled water costs. (systems usually run 50% methanol and 50% distilled water. I know some people who run 1 gallon of wiper fluid and 3 cans of heet)

When I first got my snow kit I had it set up wrong and I was going through 1 gallon of methanol and 1 gallon of distilled water every 2 tanks of gas. Now that I have it setup right, it's about every 4 tanks of gas.

If you read faqs on the snow website, you only gain maximum performance from methanol injection if you tune for it.
Old 11-03-09, 05:24 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IAGS400
(small subtraction from $150)

Depending on the jet you use and how you set up the controller, you also have to consider the methanol and distilled water costs. (systems usually run 50% methanol and 50% distilled water. I know some people who run 1 gallon of wiper fluid and 3 cans of heet)

When I first got my snow kit I had it set up wrong and I was going through 1 gallon of methanol and 1 gallon of distilled water every 2 tanks of gas. Now that I have it setup right, it's about every 4 tanks of gas.

If you read faqs on the snow website, you only gain maximum performance from methanol injection if you tune for it.
Cool...so you currently have the meth injection setup on your GS? If so, what are your experiences? Is your car tuned for such a mod? (with SAFC or Neo). Thanks...

Quick Reply: Meth injection...