Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Their May Be Hope! PSI........

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-08, 06:02 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Their May Be Hope! PSI........

So I was reading the new Modified Mag this week and noticed they featured a Toyota Camry with a GT28RS turbo. This is the 2GR-FE 3.5 liter V6 motor BTW. Cobb tuning is who fabricated the kit and has access to download there access port software for tuning. I took this kinda lightly and decided to call Cobb tuning. After three days I finally reached someone. Couldn't get much besides they are currently working to get the rights to the Toyota ECU's. Was told to look for Toyota and Scion Access ports to be released first then Lexus to follow if everything works out the way they plan.
As for the Camry it went from a base HP of 268 to 335 HP. Not bad.

Also I noticed that AEM is finally making a Drive-By-Wire ECU now. Looks like the Subaru's will be the frist to get these.

May be hope guys??????
Old 10-03-08, 06:43 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hopefully...
Old 10-03-08, 07:35 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

cobb is great.. Nice to see them branching out from subi..
Old 10-03-08, 07:50 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm...sounds interesting....I might have to switch
Old 10-03-08, 08:33 PM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope their plan works out.
Old 10-03-08, 09:59 PM
IAMJAVEDG
Lexus Champion

Sounds like hope to meee!
Old 10-03-08, 10:47 PM
Sytfu_IS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like hope but doesn't stop my plan to supercharge, if they can crack ecu..doesn't that mean they can tune our ecu to run the supercharger at more psi? But then we will need injectors and other engine mods huh?

Last edited by Sytfu_IS; 10-03-08 at 10:50 PM.
Old 10-04-08, 12:25 AM
KMRIS350
Driver

Originally Posted by HKS350
So I was reading the new Modified Mag this week and noticed they featured a Toyota Camry with a GT28RS turbo. This is the 2GR-FE 3.5 liter V6 motor BTW. Cobb tuning is who fabricated the kit and has access to download there access port software for tuning. I took this kinda lightly and decided to call Cobb tuning. After three days I finally reached someone. Couldn't get much besides they are currently working to get the rights to the Toyota ECU's. Was told to look for Toyota and Scion Access ports to be released first then Lexus to follow if everything works out the way they plan.
As for the Camry it went from a base HP of 268 to 335 HP. Not bad.

Also I noticed that AEM is finally making a Drive-By-Wire ECU now. Looks like the Subaru's will be the frist to get these.

May be hope guys??????
Thanks for the info!
Old 10-04-08, 05:34 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

sweet news Jeremy. I'll be waiting for more news on this in the near future!
Old 10-04-08, 07:18 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by iSuxeL
Hmmm...sounds interesting....I might have to switch
if they can crack the ECU (dont see how they can or will since everyone has been trying) then you wont need to! What you have with the boos turned up and a new BOV!!! Turbo>SuperCharger IMO but since you have the set up keep it and save the $. The S/C you have is good

I would love to see this go down and take the GS to the next level.

Nice find
Old 10-04-08, 08:04 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Not to dampen enthusiasm, but it remains my belief that the ECU won't help much.

TOMs can change the ECU in japan and their supercharger runs a whopping 0.8 lbs more boost than the LMS one does on the stock ECU. (and takes 100 octane fuel to do that much)

It's the 12:1 compression that is the enemy to boost here, not the lack of ECU programming.

The Camry engine by the way has a 10.8:1 CR, so it's unsurprising it can handle more boost.

They added 67 hp at the engine, so probably around 55 at the wheels. That's a whopping 15 more than the LMS supercharger adds... and with the benefit of no parasitic loss from turbo vs. blower.

So they're like running, I dunno, maybe 6 lbs, and all of that extra lb thanks to the lower CR.

I suppose if they could have the lower CR -and- ECU flashing they could let it use 100 octane fuel and maybe manage 7 lbs, but that still doesn't help us much.

I'd love to be wrong, but I remain pretty sure a 12:1 CR isn't going to get much over 5-6 lbs of boost on just pump gas no matter what you do with the ECU
Old 10-04-08, 09:52 AM
Giggity
Pole Position

I wouldn't hold your breath for any ecu tuning for the 2IS, High comppression and direct injection, which seems to only be available in the Lexus products, have just about maxed the the 2gr-fse in NA form, and I doubt Toyota/Lexus are going to let go the coding to modify the ECU.
There are several versions of the 2GR FSE in the Toyota stable, the aussies are getting a supercharged version, but it runs much lower compression and is not direct injected, hence the reason why Cobb is able to pull off a turbo'd 2GR and can reflash the ECU. The access port is great, used it on my subie
If you guys wanted a real tuner car, well, we bought the wrong car.
Old 10-04-08, 03:30 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Not to dampen enthusiasm, but it remains my belief that the ECU won't help much.

TOMs can change the ECU in japan and their supercharger runs a whopping 0.8 lbs more boost than the LMS one does on the stock ECU. (and takes 100 octane fuel to do that much)

It's the 12:1 compression that is the enemy to boost here, not the lack of ECU programming.

The Camry engine by the way has a 10.8:1 CR, so it's unsurprising it can handle more boost.

They added 67 hp at the engine, so probably around 55 at the wheels. That's a whopping 15 more than the LMS supercharger adds... and with the benefit of no parasitic loss from turbo vs. blower.

So they're like running, I dunno, maybe 6 lbs, and all of that extra lb thanks to the lower CR.

I suppose if they could have the lower CR -and- ECU flashing they could let it use 100 octane fuel and maybe manage 7 lbs, but that still doesn't help us much.

I'd love to be wrong, but I remain pretty sure a 12:1 CR isn't going to get much over 5-6 lbs of boost on just pump gas no matter what you do with the ECU

^ Not so much worried about the turbo kit but more the ECU tune. I doubt I would boost this motor. But add some timing, tweak the fuel duty's and adjust the rev's up another 500-750 rpms. Thats all I want.
Old 10-04-08, 05:27 PM
accelerate
Lead Lap

Hey all can't the compression be lowered. U know maybe by using a thicker head gasket. Just a thought.
Old 10-04-08, 10:23 PM
dotkong
Pole Position

whose the baller thats going to get custom internals like the boosted F if i your our there your my future hero

Quick Reply: Their May Be Hope! PSI........