Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Their May Be Hope! PSI........

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-08, 10:55 AM
crazybuggy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

268 to 335? i hope this works so i can cop!
Old 11-12-08, 11:39 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

if only this would be realized for us as fast as it was for cars like the gt-r
Old 11-12-08, 12:43 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Not to dampen enthusiasm, but it remains my belief that the ECU won't help much.

TOMs can change the ECU in japan and their supercharger runs a whopping 0.8 lbs more boost than the LMS one does on the stock ECU. (and takes 100 octane fuel to do that much)

It's the 12:1 compression that is the enemy to boost here, not the lack of ECU programming.

The Camry engine by the way has a 10.8:1 CR, so it's unsurprising it can handle more boost.

They added 67 hp at the engine, so probably around 55 at the wheels. That's a whopping 15 more than the LMS supercharger adds... and with the benefit of no parasitic loss from turbo vs. blower.

So they're like running, I dunno, maybe 6 lbs, and all of that extra lb thanks to the lower CR.

I suppose if they could have the lower CR -and- ECU flashing they could let it use 100 octane fuel and maybe manage 7 lbs, but that still doesn't help us much.

I'd love to be wrong, but I remain pretty sure a 12:1 CR isn't going to get much over 5-6 lbs of boost on just pump gas no matter what you do with the ECU

Like I said above some time ago, you're holding your breath for nothing.

The camry turbo system doesn't add significantly more power for its CR than the existing supercharger options for the 2IS add. And they're not very attractive options.

Waiting around for someone to magically invent a way to add a lot of boost to a motor with a 12:1 CR is a waste of your time.

If you want a bit of boost, despite the outrageous cost for the gains, you have options right now. There was so little interest in this though that LMS discontinued their kit.

If you want to add at least as much power for cheap for the track, Jeremy has shown you the way there with nitrous.

If you want a lot of boost you're going to need to use a different engine (or rebuild yours with custom parts and a significantly lower CR, which'll cost you more than just getting a faster car)
Old 11-13-08, 04:22 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

meh, we can still dream. nothing wrong with that.

and if they do end up making parts?

I'll be getting them cuz I don't like driving a stock car. (even if it does go fast)
Old 04-13-12, 02:09 AM
badx33
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I know I KNOW... its an old thread just wondering if theres any new information on what COBB was attempting to do,...
Old 04-13-12, 02:49 AM
ApokC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

3.5 years ago?

Doubt it
Old 04-13-12, 06:26 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by badx33
I know I KNOW... its an old thread just wondering if theres any new information on what COBB was attempting to do,...
My guess is no, I'm sure HKS350 was keeping up with it, but seeing as he went all out on his supercharger build, maybe he stop looking into it. haha

And i feel like Kurtz is right about this thread, that it wouldnt open up any huge gains if our ECU was opened up.
Old 04-19-12, 10:58 AM
Kingdavid
Driver

aherm

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/10...-flywheel.html
Old 04-19-12, 11:47 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingdavid
He's basically using a stock 2GR-FE (which isn't the motor in the IS350) cylinder block... and everything else is custom.

custom rods, custom pistons, custom valve springs, custom valves, custom cams, highly customized heads, custom intake manifold, custom fuel system (not direct injection), and a standalone ECU so good luck running the OEM dash and lux features on it.
Old 04-19-12, 12:40 PM
Kingdavid
Driver

Originally Posted by Kurtz
He's basically using a stock 2GR-FE (which isn't the motor in the IS350) cylinder block... and everything else is custom.

custom rods, custom pistons, custom valve springs, custom valves, custom cams, highly customized heads, custom intake manifold, custom fuel system (not direct injection), and a standalone ECU so good luck running the OEM dash and lux features on it.
Yeah, though "custom" is a little drastic. the engine was built by Shane Wilson which means I BET the parts or at least their dimensions and specs are still around, especially since the motors he's providing are for a motorsport team which means they're probably not one off parts.

You'll notice they're going to look into direct injection as well. which means D4-S is really just around the corner.

I'm more interested in what he said about the engine:

Mr Kittle has utilised several of Toyota’s 3.0-litre engines in his creations, and says the new 3.5-litre V6 has the strength to cope with the enormous horsepower it produced for the Jimco 2000.

“The new 3.5-litre engine has a very strong bottom-end, with its six-bolt main steel crankshaft which we run unmodified,” Mr Kittle said.

“The engine is pretty much bullet-proof, and our goal has been to make the power smooth and useable.”

What's here is not a solution so much as a similar problem that's been solved. Most of us won't be running the immense amount of custom parts listed. But most of us won't want (need) 800hp.

the dollar/hp ratio is anything but static but drop that 800hp to say, 400 or 500hp with minimal custom parts....