Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

intake for 250. F-sport or injen?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-08, 04:17 PM
love67
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intake for 250. F-sport or injen?

Hi, i was just wondering which intake should i get? as myself im using the joeZs rightnow, but i want some more sound of it. and i see the website from injen and it shows it can add 10 hp on 250, is it true?..so which one should i get?
Old 09-04-08, 04:21 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

No, it's not true.

Nothing will add more hp than the Joe Z. Others will be louder though. Most will be worse for performance because they have no heat shielding and suck hot underhood air.

Another option is find the thread where some folks just cut a hole in the lower airbox, since that's the major difference between the joe z and the F-sport intake... so they got the Joe Z price/performance with sound a lot nearer the F-sport.

Possibly of greater note to you if you plan to keep the car much longer- The F-sport is the only one of the ones discussed that will pass California emissions.
Old 09-04-08, 06:05 PM
SeOuLiS250
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kurtz
No, it's not true.

Nothing will add more hp than the Joe Z. Others will be louder though. Most will be worse for performance because they have no heat shielding and suck hot underhood air.

Another option is find the thread where some folks just cut a hole in the lower airbox, since that's the major difference between the joe z and the F-sport intake... so they got the Joe Z price/performance with sound a lot nearer the F-sport.

Possibly of greater note to you if you plan to keep the car much longer- The F-sport is the only one of the ones discussed that will pass California emissions.
so the Injen won't pass the California emission??
is it true?? hm~~I don't think that's true
Old 09-04-08, 07:59 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SeOuLiS250
so the Injen won't pass the California emission??
is it true?? hm~~I don't think that's true
I dunno... I don't see an ISx50 application even listed at injen.com

Their IS300 app does have an EO number though.

I found someone selling one they list for the 250 here:
http://www.nlmotoring.com/Injen-Shor...nj-sp2093p.htm

But it says "N/A" for Carb status...

These guys -also- say NO carb
http://www.hopupracing.com/inspshraminl.html

These guys -also- say N/A for carb:
http://www.racinglab.com/injen-sr-in...is250-001.html

They list a part number of SR-SP2093 and when you search for that on injen.com it doesn't find anything.

I wonder if this is actually an intake "meant" for another model, in which case it's not CARB certified for this car...

But it's a short ram, which means hot engine air, which you do not want anyway.
Old 09-04-08, 11:03 PM
UCLAJimmy
Pole Position

I perfer injen intakes because it sounds nice. It is true that injen intake does not give you any performance. However, injen claims in their website that their intakes will pass the CA smog check.
Old 09-05-08, 01:47 AM
love67
Lexus Test Driver

what does Carb means? so what about the F-sport's one?...will it give you any performance?...because they said..it will give you 3% more....actually..i have the Joe-Z one...but i want to have the intake sound, and i don't want to make a hole to my air box..and a new air box is like $4xx( i called and asked the toyota) therefore..there is no point of cutting my own box...so i don't know which one should i go....
Old 09-05-08, 02:46 AM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by love67
what does Carb means? so what about the F-sport's one?...will it give you any performance?...because they said..it will give you 3% more....actually..i have the Joe-Z one...but i want to have the intake sound, and i don't want to make a hole to my air box..and a new air box is like $4xx( i called and asked the toyota) therefore..there is no point of cutting my own box...so i don't know which one should i go....
sewell has it for 307 + shipping. jump on this deal and it saves you $100, assuming your initial 4xx price
Old 09-05-08, 04:52 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Actually, no, Injen claims all its intakes are -either- certified or were submitted to be certified (meaning they aren't yet)

More important though, as I said, there is no ISx50 intake on their website.

So if other folks are selling an Injen intake meant for -another- car for the ISx50 then the EO number wouldn't be valid on an ISx50.

That's why they have to submit each intake for certification for each vehicle they sell it for, even though the basic design is identical.

CARB means California Air Resource Board, the people who approve if something will pass CA emissions testing or not...if it is certified for a given car it will have an EO number.

The F-sport has one.... performance wise it'll be the same as the Joe Z, just louder and more expensive.

Cutting your own box- That's all the F-sport is... it's a Joe Z style pipe with an extra hole cut in the airbox (and they throw in a filter the likes of which you can buy off the shelf anyway). As long as you're cutting on the right part of the box you can't "damage" anything...it's just a plastic box.
Old 09-05-08, 06:12 AM
Zexnos
Driver

More important though, as I said, there is no ISx50 intake on their website.

So if other folks are selling an Injen intake meant for -another- car for the ISx50 then the EO number wouldn't be valid on an ISx50.

That's why they have to submit each intake for certification for each vehicle they sell it for, even though the basic design is identical.
I looked around the site and found the intake. It is part number (for the IS 250) SP2093P for polished or SP2093BLK for black. EO status: Pending.

Link
Old 09-05-08, 06:28 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Huh... weird they don't list it under Lexus in general, and that searching SP2093 by itself doesn't find it

But yeah, no EO number for it yet

Also odd, the 250 one only lists 2006 models, the 350 one (SP2092P or SP2092BLK lists 2006-2008) though it also doesn't have an EO # presently.

Last edited by Kurtz; 09-05-08 at 06:31 AM.
Old 09-05-08, 11:10 AM
love67
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tfz_hebe89
sewell has it for 307 + shipping. jump on this deal and it saves you $100, assuming your initial 4xx price
oh, i meant the OEM air box=o="..because i was thinking of cutting my own airbox..because i have the Joe-Z. and i already know about sewell, but thanks anyway!
Old 09-05-08, 11:14 AM
love67
Lexus Test Driver

i really don't know which one should i get-o-...plus i just thought the HKS filter and the Joe-Z...but i don't wanna cut my own air box..because it is too expensive to buy a new OEM box($4xx) -o-"
Old 09-05-08, 11:15 AM
kayotik
Lead Lap

hey love67, did your gas mileage increase with the JOE-Z pipe?

thanks

btw, id go with Injen out of the two, because the f-sport is a total knockoff as you already know.
Old 09-05-08, 12:04 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by love67
i really don't know which one should i get-o-...plus i just thought the HKS filter and the Joe-Z...but i don't wanna cut my own air box..because it is too expensive to buy a new OEM box($4xx) -o-"
Why would you need to buy a new airbox if you cut a hole in a totally non-functional part of your present one to make the intake louder?
Old 09-05-08, 01:01 PM
love67
Lexus Test Driver

Why would you need to buy a new airbox if you cut a hole in a totally non-functional part of your present one to make the intake louder?
because "IF" selling my car, then i will not have a problem of being back a org.
and i keep every parts that i took off...(like my old intake, exhaust, and rims)

Quick Reply: intake for 250. F-sport or injen?