Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

exhaust drone solutions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-08, 09:42 PM
fluxx
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default exhaust drone solutions?

So i have owned the tanabe medallion exhaust for about 4k miles now. as much as i love the exhaust it drones. yes its supposedly the quietest of the exhaust and others say there tanabe does not drone. but i cruise around town generally in between the 2-3k range, where you can hear it the most. most of the times i tell myself get over it and exhaust is the sex.

my question is there any way to resolve this problem? aside from a)turn the music up. b) get a different exhaust. c) what did you expect from an aftermarket exhaust (my favorite).

the simple fact is that i really do enjoy this exhaust and its sound. ive researched it a little bit and found some solutions but it involves welding and cutting and at this point i rather not do that.

thanks for any info.

Last edited by fluxx; 06-06-08 at 09:54 PM.
Old 06-06-08, 11:10 PM
myculito
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious...could the exhaust wrap that Caymandive used do anything for the drone?

See his thread here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=358895
Old 06-07-08, 12:36 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Actually the exhaust wrap does nothing for drone, but removing the secondary cats actually reduced the drone. I was quite happily surprised.

The exhaust wrap I found deepens up the exhaust and maybe reduced the sound level by a decibel, but the primary reason for the exhaust wrap was to get rid of a resonance sound that seems inherent if the upper portion of the mid pipe is bare. The OEM heat shielding acts as a sound dampener as well as a thermal barrier. So my advice if you remove secondary cats is to make sure the shop keeps that shielding in place.

I LOVE the sound of my exhaust now. It's perfect at all rpms and is very very deep in tone with no rasp and significantly less drone.

Last edited by caymandive; 06-07-08 at 12:43 PM.
Old 06-07-08, 01:03 PM
SkyPimp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sell it to me Problem solved.
Old 06-07-08, 01:18 PM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by caymandive
Actually the exhaust wrap does nothing for drone, but removing the secondary cats actually reduced the drone. I was quite happily surprised.

The exhaust wrap I found deepens up the exhaust and maybe reduced the sound level by a decibel, but the primary reason for the exhaust wrap was to get rid of a resonance sound that seems inherent if the upper portion of the mid pipe is bare. The OEM heat shielding acts as a sound dampener as well as a thermal barrier. So my advice if you remove secondary cats is to make sure the shop keeps that shielding in place.

I LOVE the sound of my exhaust now. It's perfect at all rpms and is very very deep in tone with no rasp and significantly less drone.
really that much difference???
Old 06-07-08, 01:18 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by radicalrev
really that much difference???
Yes, it is noticeably different.
Old 06-07-08, 02:47 PM
fluxx
Lead Lap

caymandive, how much do you think it would cost for a muffler shop to make a custom midpipe for me? should i ask for anything special to be done to it?
Old 06-07-08, 03:04 PM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, it is noticeably different.
so how much does the heat pipe shield would cost and to install?
Old 06-12-08, 02:11 PM
APBT4Me
Pole Position

I think i am going to do a similar custom mid pipe setup but the resonance you speak of...is that inside the cabin? and why did the shop where you had it done remove the heat shielding?
Old 06-12-08, 03:26 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Default New exhaust video

Originally Posted by APBT4Me
I think i am going to do a similar custom mid pipe setup but the resonance you speak of...is that inside the cabin? and why did the shop where you had it done remove the heat shielding?
I'm not sure why they removed the heat shielding, but it's fine now. I did a video of the exhaust last night just to see for myself how it sounds from the outside. It sounds great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWH6yj8rDRg
Old 06-12-08, 03:30 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

James that sounds really good!

what CL was down so everyone is posting videos today haha...