Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

So I drilled

Old 04-22-08, 11:07 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Um... putting them holes in the box will just draw in more WARMER/HOT air which the intake system was not designed to do... but it is odd that the F-Sport design has an open box. Does anyone know where the new opening leads to?
Old 04-22-08, 11:19 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ek9vboi
Um... putting them holes in the box will just draw in more WARMER/HOT air which the intake system was not designed to do... but it is odd that the F-Sport design has an open box. Does anyone know where the new opening leads to?
The extra opening in the F-Sport intake draws are from the headlight area (the hole faces forward). While it may draw warm(er) air, i think its more of a direct path for air, and therefor may result in more power. Im sure Lexus designed it this way for a reason...
Old 04-23-08, 12:57 AM
LexyIS350
Driver

Just a guess here, but I believe those ridges in the oem air box are baffles to reduce intake noise. In the F sport version, you will probably hear an increase of sound since it's smoother.
Old 04-23-08, 01:45 AM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

should shave them off too!!!!!!!! hahaha....
Old 04-23-08, 03:39 AM
hihi410
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by radicalrev
should shave them off too!!!!!!!! hahaha....
nothing dremel can't fix!
Old 04-23-08, 05:03 AM
mikewads
Rookie

Would someone please just sell me the bottom of the F-Sport airbox?
Old 04-23-08, 06:34 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mikewads
Would someone please just sell me the bottom of the F-Sport airbox?
The bottom -is- the F-sport airbox. It reuses the stock top.
Old 04-23-08, 06:38 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

My .02 on the F-Sport intake.

-Will not make more power than the stock intake with JOEZ
-Small chance it could even make less power.
-The gain the F-sport intake would be from the JOEZ style tube
-The hole cut into the front side of the lower air box behind headlight is most likely designed to give the intake more of a sporty note while minimizing engine bay air entering the system.
-I have a feeling that the smoothed out lower air box was designed to reduce changes in air turbulence and pressure as air is now entering in from 2 directions.
-F-Sport intake or OEM/JOEZ, the engine will be getting the same amount of air as it has to pass through the filter and carbon filter. As long as the air temps aren't changed by much then the power won't change either. Based on the several intake dyno's I have done in the past, the stock intake already provides more than enough air for the engine. There is no restriction there and lobux was right in that removing the carbon filter will reduce power by almost 1hp!

Last edited by caymandive; 04-23-08 at 06:45 AM.
Old 04-23-08, 07:03 AM
08mica
Pole Position

What everyone is forgetting/not realized that with a little change in tooling Lexus can charge you $400 for an intake that they already mass produce for probably $5. I would do the same thing.

Use less material, add some stickers and a cool name and BAM! $400 more for it. Makes sense to me
Old 04-23-08, 10:36 AM
mikewads
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kurtz
The bottom -is- the F-sport airbox. It reuses the stock top.
I think my original statement went over your head...

I already have the JoeZ pipe (listed in my signature), so I don't need the F-Sport tube and filter. Just the bottom piece.
Old 04-23-08, 11:21 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mikewads
I think my original statement went over your head...

I already have the JoeZ pipe (listed in my signature), so I don't need the F-Sport tube and filter. Just the bottom piece.
Except you asked for the bottom part of the f-sport box.

The bottom part is the entire box where the F-sport is concerned. There's no "top" f-sport box part.

Even if you already knew it bolted to the stock top piece,
I think your original statement was poorly phrased
Old 04-23-08, 11:24 AM
myculito
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by caymandive
My .02 on the F-Sport intake.

-Will not make more power than the stock intake with JOEZ
-Small chance it could even make less power.
-The gain the F-sport intake would be from the JOEZ style tube
-The hole cut into the front side of the lower air box behind headlight is most likely designed to give the intake more of a sporty note while minimizing engine bay air entering the system.
-I have a feeling that the smoothed out lower air box was designed to reduce changes in air turbulence and pressure as air is now entering in from 2 directions.
-F-Sport intake or OEM/JOEZ, the engine will be getting the same amount of air as it has to pass through the filter and carbon filter. As long as the air temps aren't changed by much then the power won't change either. Based on the several intake dyno's I have done in the past, the stock intake already provides more than enough air for the engine. There is no restriction there and lobux was right in that removing the carbon filter will reduce power by almost 1hp!
That's why we need a dyno run of the F-Sport intake! I have been trying to get some people to buy into having it dyno'd (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=350656), but haven't seen any interest yet.
Old 04-23-08, 11:35 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by myculito
That's why we need a dyno run of the F-Sport intake! I have been trying to get some people to buy into having it dyno'd (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=350656), but haven't seen any interest yet.
I think you may have trouble getting a huge interest in dyno testing the F-sport intake as the whole intake debate has pretty much worn us all out. The potential gains are so small for all intakes on the IS350/250 that there will always be debate even if a dyno test is done. When we are talking about +/- 1-5hp, dyno variables typically make interpretation impossible. I for one spent hundreds of dollars testing different intake setups on my car and for the minuscule gains in power it's just not worth testing and debating to me anymore. So in my conclusion people should by what they like based on maintenance, filter type, sound, looks and cost and be less worried about potential performance gains. Personally I'd stay away from any that draws in most of its air from the engine bay.
Old 04-23-08, 12:32 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by caymandive
Personally I'd stay away from any that draws in most of its air from the engine bay.
+1, i totally agree with this, the OEM box is atleast a CAI type (due to its sealed nature and drawing air from the grill, also ram air style), the F-sport lower box has a big hole no longer making it CAI. F-sport intake = Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancement (R.I.C.E.)
Old 04-23-08, 12:36 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
+1, i totally agree with this, the OEM box is atleast a CAI type (due to its sealed nature and drawing air from the grill, also ram air style), the F-sport lower box has a big hole no longer making it CAI. F-sport intake = Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancement (R.I.C.E.)
Nice acronym!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So I drilled