Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

I wish there were lightweight axles and driveshafts for our cars...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-08, 05:46 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default I wish there were lightweight axles and driveshafts for our cars...

Has anyone ever heard of anyone doing this? I would think this would be a GREAT mod...reduction of unsprung (rotational) weight!!! Let's bounce some ideas around.
Old 04-14-08, 06:09 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The GS should of came with an aluminum drive shaft imo... There are companies out there that can fabricate aluminum or carbon fiber drive shafts. It may require you sending in your current drive shaft so they can construct a CF or aluminum version since they may not have the template for the Lexus GS drive shaft. ACPT is one company that can make CF drive shafts.. Be the guinee pig Nick

Here is some info..

More Power to the Ground
Independent testing by a leading automotive magazine (Turbo, October, 1996) showed rear wheel horsepower gains of more than 5% with the simple switch to an ACPT carbon fiber driveshaft. This significant increase is primarily due to lower rotational mass of the driveshaft. Carbon fiber offers you more strength to resist extreme torque than steel with about half the weight. Just like the common use of lightweight clutch and flywheel units, a lightweight driveshaft allows more of you engine's power to be applied to the ground.

In addition to minimizing rotational power losses, carbon fiber's unique vibration dampening characteristics also help improve power output. Engine builder's are familiar with the power gains that high performance crank dampeners can provide. ACPT's carbon fiber driveshafts give you similar benefits by cutting power losses due to drivetrain vibration.

Higher RPM, Faster

Driveline vibration is a common problem that can limit RPM. ACPT's involvement in racing began in 1986 when Dan Gurney asked us to apply our expertise in aerospace composites to solve a vibration problem with his IMSA GTO Toyota Celica. In this front engine, rear transaxle race car, the driveshaft ran at engine speed. The metal driveshaft was experiencing harmonic whip, limiting usable RPM and forcing them to run the engine well below redline in each gear. ACPT developed a carbon fiber driveshaft that allowed a 1000 RPM increase in usuable engine speed and gave the engine a chance to work at its' power peak. Gurney cited the ACPT driveshaft as a major factor in winning the 1987 IMSA GTO Championship. Since 1987 many racers in all areas of motorsports have discovered the extra RPM and the resulting tuning flexibility carbon fiber driveshafts provide.

http://www.acpt.com/index.html
Old 04-14-08, 11:10 AM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Precision Shaft Technologies is another company that can make CF driveshafts. I emailed them a long time ago about their 'critical link' cf driveshaft and they said they were going to see what they had on the drawing board at that time. They were suppose to let me know but they haven't yet. I emailed them again to see if they will respond.

http://www.pstds.com/critical_link_drive_shafts.htm

There are these guys too, they already make driveshafts for the IS300, although they don't have cf driveshafts listed.

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/pric...in/Driveshafts

http://www.driveshaftshop.com/index2.ivnu
Old 04-14-08, 12:52 PM
kevs98GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

subscribed! i'm interested if the price is right! I'm hooked on MORE POWER!
Old 04-15-08, 09:21 AM
evil00017
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am interested too. If the price is right ofcourse.
Old 04-15-08, 11:49 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

This would be a GREAT mod because it would not be model specific. GS300, GS400 and GS430's could all benefit from this mod; it would not throw CELs and you don't need to install something else before you can install these (unlike many other mods). Let's keep this damn thing goin'...maybe Jason at JPI could fabricate something for us.
Old 04-15-08, 12:03 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

GS300 and GS400/GS430 have different part numbers for the driveshaft assembly. Doubt they are interchangeable since the transmission does not sit at the exact same spot as the other car.

If you guys get it custom made, especially in carbon fiber, expect to pay at least $700, unless you guys can round up a very large group of buyers.
Old 04-15-08, 12:09 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
If you guys get it custom made, especially in carbon fiber, expect to pay at least $700, unless you guys can round up a very large group of buyers.
Yeah, if you can get the dimensions, you should be able to get a driveshaft custom made. A PST cf shaft is between $500 and $950.
Old 04-15-08, 12:17 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

How much weight would be loss? Would it really be worth it?
Old 04-15-08, 12:20 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by mEx_lEx
Yeah, if you can get the dimensions, you should be able to get a driveshaft custom made. A PST cf shaft is between $500 and $950.
I'm going to contact ACPT since they're down the street from me. Giving dimension is a lot more difficult than just giving them the driveshaft to work with.
Old 04-15-08, 12:21 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by cherplex
How much weight would be loss? Would it really be worth it?
Uur Lexus driveshaft are pretty short and small in diameter. To be honest, I'm not sure if this is even worthwhile, unless we can get it for about $500. Someone needs to go weigh their OEM driveshafts
Old 04-15-08, 12:34 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Uur Lexus driveshaft are pretty short and small in diameter. To be honest, I'm not sure if this is even worthwhile, unless we can get it for about $500. Someone needs to go weigh their OEM driveshafts
It boils down to the amount of inertia required to spin the drive shaft... Less inertia=more power. Steel drive shaft requires more inertia to spin vs. carbon fiber drive shaft.. Try spinning a heavy girl on the dance floor vs. a light weight girl I take it the carbon fiber unit will yield more power to the ground.. There is hidden power in the GS drivetrain. This 300hp car can sure put down more than a sorry 235-245 rwhp N/A.(See chart in post#2 for reference)
Old 04-15-08, 12:42 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Did you guys see this CL banner at the bottom of this very forum? http://www.thrashdriveshaft.com/
Old 04-15-08, 12:47 PM
GSteg
Rookie

I was more along the lines of addressing Cherplex's concern about price vs benefit. Obviously using a lighter driveshaft will reduce inertia, we all know that since it's common sense. But how much more power are we going to get down the wheel by utilizing the cf shaft? Put the same kind of shaft on our car vs a Ford F250. I'm sure you'll get a more dramatic result with the Ford. Are people willing to pay $700 if it will only net them 4whp? Or maybe 7whp? Unless someone weighs the OEM shaft, it's going to be hard to tell if it's even worth the price. It might be worthwhile if they can reduce the diameter since it plays a role in the moment of inertia.
Old 04-15-08, 12:52 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

I was more along the lines of addressing Cherplex's concern about price vs benefit. Obviously using a lighter driveshaft will reduce inertia, we all know that since it's common sense. But how much more power are we going to get down the wheel by utilizing the cf shaft? Put the same kind of shaft on our car vs a Ford F250. I'm sure you'll get a more dramatic result with the Ford. Are people willing to pay $700 if it will only net them 4whp? Or maybe 7whp? Unless someone weighs the OEM shaft, it's going to be hard to tell if it's even worth the price. It might be worthwhile if they can reduce the diameter since it plays a role in the moment of inertia.
I hear you buddy, excellent points.. Nick(OP) is going to be the guinee pig

Quick Reply: I wish there were lightweight axles and driveshafts for our cars...