Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

So what do you all think? (Make the is250 more powerful)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-08, 03:41 AM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ndk83
care to elaborate on how thats possible?

Old 04-02-08, 04:57 AM
ndk83
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

haha other than nos,
Old 04-02-08, 06:46 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mazzuri
In the long run the is250 will be a car that people will modify a lot more than the IS350 and it will be much faster for less money.
Yeah, I don't see how.

other than your headers, which don't add anywhere NEAR 100 hp, nothing has added any significant power to the IS250. And it has been out for 3 model years now.

That's unlikely to change.

Any forced induction solution will run the price beyond the cost of having bought the 350 in the first place, and probably STILL won't add 100 hp.

Nitrous plus your headers would be the only way even possible to get 100 hp for less than buying a 350. And while it can be a great power adder, it's hardly the same. (It's not always on, it's a constant expense to refill, and if you don't do it correctly you're out $10,000 for a new engine, plus the warranty issues)
Old 04-02-08, 06:56 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

go and buy Mazzuri's headers
Old 04-02-08, 09:12 AM
mazzuri
Driver

I said down the line when parts start coming out for it, not at the moment.

It has nothing to do with my headers. There are way more IS250 sold than the IS350s, there is an AWD version and you have an option of a 6 speed. When the big companies start making parts for the car, I am almost positive it will be for the 250.

Look at Megan racing or what ever they are called, that sell headers for the IS250 on ebay. Those headers have been out since the car and they still don't make one for the IS350. Same with the other company Tu something.
Old 04-02-08, 11:01 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mazzuri
I said down the line when parts start coming out for it, not at the moment.

It has nothing to do with my headers. There are way more IS250 sold than the IS350s, there is an AWD version and you have an option of a 6 speed. When the big companies start making parts for the car, I am almost positive it will be for the 250.

Look at Megan racing or what ever they are called, that sell headers for the IS250 on ebay. Those headers have been out since the car and they still don't make one for the IS350. Same with the other company Tu something.
Yes, but none of them add much power to the car.

Every company in the world could make products for the IS250, it still won't add 100 hp to the car.

What products do you possibly see coming out that will add over 100 hp to the vehicle for less than the 250/350 cost difference? (not counting nitrous which we already discussed doesn't really count)
Old 04-02-08, 04:08 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

fine. headers, exhausts, intakes, and superchargers are already in right?

Things that Could come out (which is all speculation atm) are stroker kits, A/F tuning kits, pistons, turbo, TRD stickers (which we all know give you +5 mph top end speed), the Oar (as mentioned by droptopgal), and alcohol injection.

anything i'm leaving out?
Old 04-02-08, 09:23 PM
mazzuri
Driver

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Yes, but none of them add much power to the car.

Every company in the world could make products for the IS250, it still won't add 100 hp to the car.

What products do you possibly see coming out that will add over 100 hp to the vehicle for less than the 250/350 cost difference? (not counting nitrous which we already discussed doesn't really count)
Well realistically it will take n/a work or a turbo to make 100 hp. At the moment the n/a way would be more expensive, but the car already has a great bottom end for an n/a beast and with some head work and intake exhaust work, 100hp is not that impossible.

The cheaper way is turbo, the only thing stopping me is the limit of my understanding of this motor, I don't know enough about the engine to do this right at the moment, but as soon as I figure it out, I can add over 100 whp to the IS250 for under $2,000, doing all the work my self.

Also, having a 6 speed vs an Auto already puts me ahead of the game as far as gains go. It may be a difference of 100 at the crack, but less at the wheels.
Old 04-03-08, 06:42 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by nabbun
fine. headers, exhausts, intakes, and superchargers are already in right?

Things that Could come out (which is all speculation atm) are stroker kits, A/F tuning kits, pistons, turbo, TRD stickers (which we all know give you +5 mph top end speed), the Oar (as mentioned by droptopgal), and alcohol injection.

anything i'm leaving out?

Yes, and the supercharger costs more than trading up to an IS350 does, while adding about half the horsepower the trade in will, and that's on a 350 engine. They don't even make one for the 250 and it'd add a lot less power if they did, since it'd be 5 lbs of boost on a 2.5L engine.

All the other stuff you mention adds up to maybe 40 hp on a great day, less than half the hp gain of the 350 trade... for about half the cost of a 350 trade.

Assuming you plan to pay for labor then head/piston/stroker work will run more than trading for the 350... at which point you have an extra liter of displacement and more power.

As to a turbo kit, again... 12:1 compression. Zero access to engine management.

Mazzuri can make his own kit for 2k. Maybe. But he still won't safely be able to run enough boost to add anywhere near 100 hp given those limitations.

I doubt he'll be able to -sell- such a kit for 2k though. Plus labor. Add the cost to make it safe to run 100hp worth of boost (lower compression pistons at a minimum- some custom aftermarket engine management might be required too) and you'll be well over the trade-up cost.

This isn't a 2JZ where you can just throw on a turbo and crank the boost for a slew of cheap power.

But hey, prove me wrong... if someone does magically invent a $2000 turbo kit that doesn't require $5000 in other mods to not blow the car up and add 100+ hp to the IS250 you'd be able to adapt that kit easily to a 350 anyway
Old 04-03-08, 10:31 AM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tfz_hebe89
why didnt u get IS350 in the first place?
no offense ...but yeah ...I think most people would think that ...
as a gift --there was really no choice you had in it...

you'd have to buy a turbo (if they even have one) to get the power you need out of it.

it just aint there...exhausts and intakes, and little bolt on's are going to give you these tiny boosts in power...seen more on a dyno than felt in the real world driving...

some people have bought a 250 then not liked the lack of power then go get a 350...when they are both available at the same place--and even if they didnt have a 350 there when you went in ----wait for it or order it...its a night and day difference in power---i mean the numbers alone will tell you that(even on the lexus website it tells you the 0-60 difference 5.3sec vs 8.3sec) 3 sec difference in a 0-60 is a LOT time with car speed...but hey everyone makes a mistake ...right?- so its cool

Point blank---if you want power from an IS model get a 350, if you dont care about the power and you just want the look, reliability, manual or AWD...get a 250....but to get a 250 then do all kinds of crap to it (COMPLETELY putting your engine and warranty at risk, not to mention having the car not run right) MOST people on here will not be able to to that extent of the work themselves. Is plain out Silly...you can argue all day about what may or may not happen in the furture as far as aftermarket parts goes...and yeah there probably will be more parts for the 250 than the 350...mainly because 350 owners probably wont be out there in great #'s compared to 250 owners starving for more power...they may want it but many will be content with what they got--which is the #1 reason they bought a 350 in the first place.- POWER & Speed.................So if ya got a 250 cause ya didnt have the $$$...ya shoulda saved up or just waited--IF YOU wanted power

Last edited by NYC ES3; 04-03-08 at 10:50 AM.
Old 04-06-08, 08:55 AM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know a number of people (and they keep growing) that bought the IS250 instead of the IS350. SInce I own the 250, I often will have a little talk with them about their car. For the most part, they tell me that the IS250 is the perfect blend of performance and cost, with emphasis on gas performance. They're not willing to pay another 4-5 grand to upgrade to the IS350, especially when there is no difference in looks between the 250 and the 350 and you're pretty much getting the exact same car, minus the motor.

I remember on the freeway last Friday, I was getting ready to merge onto the 71 freeway from the 60. There was a huge loop I had to go through so I had to slow down to get through it. As I began to merge, there were tons of traffic on the 71 so merging got kind of hard. I decided to pick up the pace, and eventually floored the gas pedal to the max because I see a potential for an opening ahead. It seems like I couldn't hang with a VW Jetta who eventually sped by me into the other lane. At that time, I was already pushing 110 mph and everything was red. It was obvious he was speeding too. But the point is, I'll bet if I had the IS350, it would've made a bigger difference on getting a good jump.

Persoanlly for me, I wouldn't add anymore to your car than what it already is. Keep it clean. However, it will look TONS good if you do ugrade your exhaust system though so do that if you like. But don't get them loud. From what I read, Tanabe makes the best for this. Last thing you want is people wanting to race you simply because you have an IS. I had several guys who made approaches at me but I know my IS250 won't keep up to their BMW or even the Accords or Camry SE for that matter. Had I gone through, I would be heavily embarrassed.
Old 04-06-08, 11:47 AM
grmpwr
Driver School Candidate

german horses have always been bigger then japanse horses... i have owned bmws, audi tons of vw.. and they are just fast as hell. espically on the freeway.. its sad when a 4cyl jetta walks over a is250.. but having said all that i am about to buy a 250... just wish they had a MT in a 350.. because autos are boring as hell...
Old 04-06-08, 12:44 PM
edualc
Rookie

Default more power

sometimes german horses refuses to work!!! And for sure the is250 hasn't enough power vs the is350.But in europe you simply can't buy the is350 ,and in belgium you should pay a lot more anual taxes for an is350 .That's why products for extra power for the is250 are welcome and sometimes well spend money(the only way).If it's possible i will order the headers as soon as i know they are ok.
Old 04-06-08, 06:24 PM
kargahi
Driver

honestly.. i looked for an IS350... but the money for the car, was not my only issue... my car finished 39K vs, 43K of is350??? not that much difference.... but my problem is my insurance and my stupid accident when i was younger... and i still have 2 more years till i be able to upgrade to anything over 300 HP.... becuse i already pay more than my monthly lease to my insurance... hopefully in a year or two... when my insurance becomes more balance and fine, i'll get an IS-f... cuaz honestly if u wana speed and race, and pay insurance and pay for gas!!! thats the way to go.. at least get something which worth all that money to spend not something which just has a different badge sayin IS350 !!!!!
but again thats my opinion...
Old 04-06-08, 07:11 PM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The IS250 isn't a bad car. It's nice in every way, by all means. For those that drive a lot, you kind of wish you have that extra power at times when merging onto freeways. City driving is fine and I have no problem with that.

The paddle shifters are good for engine braking, slow traffic, or get up a hill. Performance wise, I like to keep it in "Auto" and it shifts faster and smoother than paddles. Otherwise, I don't see it performing well if you think you can race someone with it, lol.

Quick Reply: So what do you all think? (Make the is250 more powerful)