Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Official Exhaust thread (Members please help)

Old 02-25-08, 09:26 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Official Exhaust thread (Members please help)

OK, this has been discussed before but has never materialized. I am going try to give it a shot.

first, I know there are many discrepancies about hp gains, noise levels, price, etc... Everyone must just accept that these two threads will be be close to being correct, but nothing can be 100%. These two threads would be used as a FAQ for the performance section to stop the daily repeat of post that all basically ask the same question. There are 100's of threads about exhaust but not really a master place to start your search. I understand this can be frustrating for new members.

second, I will need help from the CL members. I am starting with just the idea first, and we will move along from there.

I plan on listing all of the intakes and exhaust with the following items listed in the least amount of arguing and comments possible.

I am starting with exhaust. First I need to get a list of every (available for public purchase that is not a one off).

On the exhaust thread I plan on covering the following subjects:
CatBack or Axle back
Removal of secondary cats?
Sound Level
Where to buy
Price
Fitment
solid reviews (not which exhaust is the best)
video

The very first thing we need to do is get all the exhaust out there. I am starting another thread to do this. I am simply putting a list in there. If you know of one that is not on the list please number it (not rating it by number) and ad it to the master list.

IF this sounds like a bad idea or I am wasting my time please let me know. I am busy and don't want to waste my time searching the internets for these answers.

thanks,
comb
The following 2 users liked this post by combfilter:
Davidivan (07-01-19), Youngagain (09-30-17)
Old 02-27-08, 08:21 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

updated 3/7/08 @12:49am

I am still working on getting some information from greddy. This article is about 85% complete. I will add the exhaust that are at the bottom of this tomorrow or sat. Sorry it took me about a week to add to this, but i've been busy at work, and it's a pain searching through all the threads on here, youtube, my.is, etc... I will also have a condensed list with just specs more towards the top.
- comb

The stock 2IS exhaust is a basic exhaust in relation to most cars in its class. It has 2 cats, which flow into a large resonator which then flows through a Y-pipe and out 2 mufflers. It's very quiet and does the job of keeping a Lexus quiet. They achieve low noise output through the combination of cats, resonators, and mufflers. If sound is one thing you worry about when looking at aftermarket exhaust, stop reading right now. You will not find an aftermarket exhaust that will be as quiet your stock one.

Axle back exhaust vs. Cat back exhaust. The simplest way to put it, is that an axle back exhaust only the section after the resonator/s and back. Basically it’s your mufflers with some sort of Y-pipe that leads back towards the front of your exhaust system to the resonator. They are also referred as “resonator back”. Cat back exhaust run the full length of your exhaust system from the manifold/primary cats (on our cars) all the way back to your mufflers.

Performance gains of aftermarket exhaust vary from 3hp-12hp (give or take a couple, if you have a 250 or 350/the type of dyno test were run, Density Altitude, etc.). Can you feel 3-12hp on a 204/306hp car? Probably not, but we are not here to argue that. Cat back systems tend to provide more horsepower than axle backs. It's been said on here that you can gain about 5-7hp on average from an axle back and around 8-12hp on a cat back. Anything greater then 12hp would be crazy loud, and difficult to do.

DB levels on aftermarket exhaust range from 85db to 95db+ depending on design. The same components that make stock 2IS exhaust quiet, are what make aftermarket exhaust louder. This includes but not limited to, axle back or cat back design, resonator size and design, removal of secondary cats on cat back systems, exhaust tube length/bend/design/ and muffler design. Aftermarket exhausts that tend to be towards the quiet side are going to be your axle backs. These include Toms, Tanabe (rated at 93db on website), Lexus HKS (95db). An axle back that would tend to be a bit louder would be the HKS High Power (95db)n Cat back exhaust will almost always be louder than axle backs.

Construction of aftermarket exhaust is primarily stainless steel. Matter of fact I think all of the ones listed are stainless. I don't know of any exhaust for the 2IS are made of titanium yet, and due to the cost of Titanium I doubt you will see them (unless it's a one off). There are some with Titanium tips, but not entire exhaust. Build quality varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. Most of these companies have been around a while and know what they are doing

Weight savings is not something you should make or break your decision. Most of the aftermarket exhaust will be lighter than stock. That being said, it never hurts to shed some weight on your car. Stock weight of the axle back part of the 2IS = 39lbs. The mid to front section weighs another 28lbs, making the total stock exhaust = 67lbs.

Components/design obviously vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. For example, some makers incorporate an x-pipe design into their cat back systems. 2 examples of this would be the Borla off-road, and the JoeZ (not available yet). Others use a straight design such as the Megan, LMS, and Greddy. Most of the axle backs are relatively the same. Most are a Y-pipe design that flow into that companies mufflers. I believe all aftermarket exhaust use mandrel bends (google it). The ones that possibly wouldn’t would be your “custom” exhaust done at your local muffler shop.

Fitment varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. Some fit really well, others tend to hang a little lower/higher in certain areas. Browse pics, read some reviews, and judge for yourself. All aftermarket exhaust will fit on both the 250 and 350. They are the same for both vehicles. Installation on axle back exhaust should take around 30min or less. It can be done on ramps or even with a jack (which I don't recommend). Cat back systems can also be done on ramps, but it's a lot more difficult. Typically the type of person buying a cat back system would have access to a lift or have it professionally installed. Cat back systems have more pieces and therefore there is more that can go wrong with the overall installation.

Warranty issues by installing an aftermarket exhaust will only void the exhaust itself. Lexus cannot void your warranty on your engine, or any other part of the car except the exhaust.

This thread is not to be the judge for which is the best exhaust. It's meant as a starting point for new 2IS owners that are in the market to buy an aftermarket exhaust. They might be after more horsepower, they might be after exhaust note sound, or they could just be after looks.

Pros of aftermarket exhaust:
- slight increase in horsepower
- more aggressive exhaust note (this is relative)
- looks (this is relative)

Cons of aftermarket exhaust:
- louder
- droning (this is relative and varies by manufacturer)
- fitment (on some)
- price

Master List of Current (soon to be current) Exhaust:
Axle Backs:
- Tanabe
- Lexus HKS
- HKS Hi-Power
- Toms
- F-Sport (due out in late march)
- Fabulous
- INGS LX Sport Exhaust

Cat Backs:
- LMS
- Fujitsubo
- Megan
- Jun-TW
- Borla
- Greddy
- JoeZ (no release date yet, but I have the general specs)

Soon to be out/ No info/ I will update as info comes in:
- Fox Skyline (some EU deal / no info)
- Blitz
- Wald (someone give me info please)

OK so here we go, the numbers below are not 100% accurate because there are way way way too many variables involved. So, horsepower, opinions, etc. are just based on the information sent to me by CL members and what I have read on here over the last 1.5yrs. Do not nerd out and PM me saying "no my version of the (insert exhaust here) produces 7hp not 5hp like you said." Prices will obviously vary, so the price I am listing is going to come from the manufacture site 1st then from the first price google tells me. This is just a starting point. Use this as a tool to help you get past the first step, after that do more research for yourself. MOST IMPORTANT THING, THE SEARCH BUTTON IS YOUR FRIEND. USE IT!! - combfilter

------------
(these are in no order, so just because one is at the top or bottom of the list doesn't mean it's better or worse)

AXLE BACK EXHAUST (aka resonator back)

- Tanabe Medallion Touring
This seems to be the most popular exhaust for the 2IS. Tanabe has a good reputation for quality. Many CL members find the Tanabe a nice mixture of both looks and sound without being too loud or droney. The fit of the Tanabe is about as good as is gets for an aftermarket exhaust. Tanabe visits CL forums from time to time with post about the manufacturing process. They also answer any feedback/questions that arise. I don't think I recall reading anything negative about the Tanabe Medallion. One side note is that the current fastest known 350 in the 1/4 mile was done with a modified Tanabe exhaust on their car. Caymandive ran a 12.844 @ 109.20mph with his modified tanabe exhaust (basically secondary cats removed with the tanabe axle back). A combination of perfect weather conditions, weight reduction, and small aftermarket part modifications helped him achieve this.

price: $690.00
hp gains: 5-7
fitment: good, some users have had to use alternate means to straighten. (see this link for fix)
installation: 30min/easy
noise level: 93db
weight: 27lbs

Reviews:
(please PM me some)

Pictures:
Videos:
outside standing revs
9min worth of inside and out with tanabe
inside

- Lexus HKS (aka on website as Dual sport exhaust by HKS)
I could put this up there with the Tanabe as far as popularity. First, you can get this straight from the dealer as an accessory option. Second, its quiet with very little drone. Third, is that maybe people like the looks of it. Obviously, it’s going to fit well or Lexus would make it an option.

price: (someone PM me this info)
hp gains: unknown (has any dyno'd this? PM me if so)
fitment: excellent
installation: done at dealer, but being an axle back it should be about as easy at the tanabe
noise level: around the same as the tanabe (unknown db)

Reviews:
(please PM me some)

Pictures:

Videos:
dyno
drive by
another dyno run

- HKS Hi-Power
Yes HKS has two axle back exhaust systems for the 2IS. The one above and this one, which delivers slightly more horsepower at the cost of increased sound levels. This noise can be reduced with the use of the optional silencers that can be purchased additionally. Gernby did a nice review of these silencers and also posted video on youtube (search CL for hks+silencers). Gernby also has the current 2nd fastest known 1/4 mile ET with his modified HKS high power (basically same mods as caymandive). Most people that have this exhaust really seem to like it. Some of the criticism of this exhaust are it's very large exhaust tips, and again noise levels. HKS has a very good reputation for making quality products.

price: $750.00
hp gains: 5-7
fitment: good-excellent, some users had to do some adjusting.
installation: as easy as any other axle back (30 min)
noise level: probably the loudest of the 6 axle backs that are out there but still under 95db
weight: 32.5lbs (according to CL member Gernby)

Reviews:

Pictures:

Videos:
Inside and out (thanks gernby) (I just realized this video is without cats, so I need a good video w/cats)
Hks hi-power with silencers (thanks gernby)

- Toms
I took t his description from L-Tuned’s website since I can’t really find anything on CL or My.is in regards to the toms. They are claiming it’s 85db but that would put it as quiet as the stock exhaust. “Full Stainless Steel Exhaust System with blacked out silencers is made to improve flow efficiency, which helps develop better torque and HPs. This system is a great addition to your GS. The diameter of the plumbing is 60.5mm (2.86"), the exhaust tip diameter is 120mm (4.00") each producing a dauntless rear view. Exhaust volume 85dB (as for genuine muffler 85dB)”

Price: $1399.00 (which is steep for an axle back)
Hp gains: unknown (but it’s an axle back so probably not more than 5, and if its truly only 85db then probably less than that) someone dyno and PM me the results. This article says the dealer claims 10, but we know that’s not true for an axle back alone.
Fitment: looks pretty good in the pics I have seen. There is not enough reviews or info to say one way or the other
Noise level: they claim 85db (unknown at this point)
Weight: (unknown)

Reviews:
(please PM me any)

Pictures:
Can someone PM me a link to this exhaust installed on a 2IS

Videos:
Can someone PM me a link to videos of this on a 2IS

- Fabulous
Here’s another exhaust that I can’t find any solid information about. Here’s both L-Tuned and Fabulous description of the axle back exhaust. “Fabulous full stainless exhaust system” and “All stainless / security standards conformance” The 2nd quote is from google translate so no telling what they really said. J

Price:$1540.00 (are you kidding me?)
Hp gains: unknown
Fitment: from the pics it looks pretty good
Noise Level: unknown, but I am sure it’s around or even less than the tanabe
Weight: unknown

Reviews:
Please PM me some

Pictures:

Videos:
Please PM me some

- INGS LX Sport Exhaust
I cannot find a link to anyone selling this. Vividracing shows to sell it through a google search, but I don’t see it on their site. There’s a couple of blurbs on CL, but still cannot find any solid information.

Price: unknown
Fitment: unknown
Noise level: unknown

Reviews:

Pics:
Send me some links

Videos:
Send me some links.

- F-Sport (Engineered by TRD) (not available yet. Due out late march)
Again, I am taking this quote from a post on CL sticky “This system features all stainless steel construction with fully polished mufflers and double-wall exhaust tips. In addition to an outstanding appearance, it delivers a powerful, sport-tuned exhaust sound. Looks like a nice quality product that is boasting the TRD price tag.

Price: $1470.00 (more than most cat back systems)
Fitment: I am sure it will fit well since it’s from Lexus/Toyota

Reviews:
n/a

Pics:

Videos:
n/a

CAT BACK EXHAUST

- LMS
I believe LMS was the first cat back exhaust made for the 2IS. Luxury Motorworks makes a variety of parts for different models of Lexus. There exhaust is a true dual cat back that makes use of an H-pipe design. As with most cat backs, LMS exhaust removes the secondary cats of the 2IS making this not smog legal in CA. You might pass a smog test, but the visual test could be a tad harder.

Price: 1200.00
Hp gains: 9-10
Fitment: decent, according the review I read it looks like the left side doesn’t center (this is common on the 2IS)
Noise level: Unknown, but most video’s sound somewhat loud. (most cat backs will be louder)

Reviews:
Here’s a pretty good one.

Pictures:

Videos:

- Fujitsobo
This being from Japan, it’s hard to tell what it is. From the picture here it looks to be a cat back. Looking at that picture though the resonator looks just like the stock IS, but it’s polished stainless which leads me to believe that their system is a full cat back. If it is a full cat back it’s amazingly quiet. Actually, more quiet then any exhaust that I know. They are saying it’s only 81db@4800rpm. That’s really quiet. The tips looks smaller than most of the other exhaust makers out there. Fujitsobo does seem to have a good reputation in reading on the internets. I am not sure how easy this is to get in the states, but did find a couple of distributors online.

Price: 1900.00
Hp gains: 6 (from another site, and a review)
Noise level: 81db@4800rpm

Reviews:
This one is in Japanese but I used google translate to try and make sense of it.

Pictures:

Videos:
Here’s one of their promotional ones

- Megan
The Megan exhaust comes off the primary cats dual and into a single Y-pipe leading into the resonator. After that, it comes back out into another Y-pipe to the mufflers. This exhaust will also not pass a visual inspection in CA because of its removal of the secondary cats. It has titanium tips and is polished stainless. Their site claims 12hp on the is250 which is bold, and another CL member claimed 15hp on his 350. This is the largest known hp gain of any exhaust. Take those numbers with a grain of salt though. Dyno’s can vary, and so can the weather. SAE is supposed to correct that, but those arguments need to go on another thread. Megan owners love to hit their rev limiters in youtube videos. J

Price: 950.00 (not a bad price for a cat back)
Hp gains: 12-15* (I need more dyno results)
Fitment: most people seem to like it, and I have not read about any fitment issues
Noise level: Unknown

Reviews:
I can’t find any please pm me some

Pictures:

Videos:
outside
outside
inside
outside

- Borla
Borla has two cat back exhaust for the 2IS. They have an off road version(140189), and a street legal version (140235). The street legal version is kind of strange in what you do is cut off your stock exhaust in between your secondary cats and resonator (basically right at the resonator). This is how they keep it street legal. The off road version is a complete exhaust replacement from the manifolds all the way back. I am not sure of the sound levels on the street legal version, but the off road version is loud. There has also been several people complain about the fitment of the off road version. This involves cutting of the heat shield, the borla exhaust braces, and even hangers in some cases. Borla typically has a very good reputation amongst car enthusiast. Not much so far in the case of the 2IS. The draw to the borla is that it was the first exhaust to incorporate an x-pipe design. Both the street legal and the off road have the x-pipe.

Price: off road = 1299.99, street legal = 1199.99
Hp gains: 10 for the off road, unknown for the street legal
Fitment: horrible, but there is a new part # for the off road which means it’s now good for the 07+. Perhaps they could have addressed the fitment issues. I have wrote borla about this new part number with no answer
Noise level: Louder than most exhaust for the 2IS

Reviews:
In depth review by yours truly.
Pictures:
rear
I need more pics of the borla, send them in

Videos:
Excellent comparison of the borla off road vs. the tanabe without secondary cats.
Borla off road with afe intake inside the car
Borla off road
Borla street legal inside car
Borla standing rev’s with JoeZ intake pipe
Borla fast take off with JoeZ intake pipe

- Jun-TW
I haven’t read of any one actually having this exhaust on CL yet. I have not checked my.is, but if someone can send me a link it would be great. In reading descriptions of the system, they claim that it’s really quiet. It does have an interesting design but basically it’s a dual that comes into Y-pipe back into a dual into a single resonator, back into a Y. Please if you have any information please PM me with it.

Price: 1500.00
Hp gains: 12-15* claimed on a is250 on jun-tw’s site
Fitment: from pictures it looks good, but no reviews yet.
Noise level: Unknown

Reviews:
N/A

Pictures:
design

Video:
Revs from behind
Revs from behind 2

Coming Soon (TBA)all data below here might not be 100% accurate

- JoeZ (some of this data is just hearsay and might not be 100% correct)
JoeZ is a member of both CL and My.IS. He visits both site regularly and has been hinting around about his exhaust coming out over the last 12months. He will have two versions of his exhaust one with cats and one without cats. Both exhaust will carry the “for off road use only” disclaimer by default. Both models will consist of an x-pipe design, mandrel bent 2.25 piping, a design a lot like the borla exhaust. The mufflers will be oval with dual walled oval tips. He has stressed top quality in both design and appearance. There are rumors that the exhaust might not even be released under his name like his intake pipe. There has no feedback yet in regards to sound levels, but JoeZ stated he will have some of the “best designed resonators” there are. This could help with sound. Most of this data comes from this post.

Price: 1100-1400 TBD (this was via PM’s a few months back) NONE OF THIS IS FINAL
Hp gains: 8 for the cat version, 10-12 for the catless
Fitment: He assures us it will be good and I am sure it will be.
Noise level: so loud you wake up the neighbors (joking). Unknown

Reviews:
N/A
Pictures:
There is a thread with a picture of t0e’s car that I believe had a test fit of JoeZ’s exhaust. If anyone can confirm this please send me those pics.
JoeZ if you have any pics you would like me to put in this thread PM me

Video:
n/a

- Blitz
This is another one of those Greddy type deals. You can buy this exhaust from several different sites, but the prices vary so much I don’t know if they have a full cat back or just an axle back or both. Prices range from 700-1400. I can’t imagine someone charging 1400 for an axle back exhaust (other than fabulous or toms). More than likely it’s just an axle back, and once this is confirmed I will move it up to that section. I’ll write more on this as info comes in

Price: 700-1400
Hp gains: 5-15 per blitz site

Reviews:
n/a

Pictures:
Here’s a stock photo of the muffler
Rear shot of a 2IS with it

Video:
Video from inside a Japanese 2IS

I still need to add the following exhaust: I will get around to this.
-Fox Skling axle back
-Greddy (waiting to hear back from them)
-Wald
-TRC axle back

Last edited by combfilter; 03-06-08 at 10:51 PM. Reason: update with new data.
The following users liked this post:
Davidivan (07-01-19)
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Reserved for future exhaust information

Last edited by DaveGS4; 02-28-08 at 08:08 AM.
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Reserved for future exhaust information
Old 02-27-08, 10:43 PM
Coconut
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 57 Posts

excellent work! make it a sticky!
Old 02-28-08, 08:05 AM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

I sitll have to do the cat backs and hopefully some members will give me more links to fill in some of the gaps.
Old 02-28-08, 08:26 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

I updated post #2.

DaveGS4 also had a good idea about having quick links to sections.

I am also going to have a summary of just the exhaust maker and core data at the top just after the exhaust explanation but before the detailed reviews and all that. This will help people get to what they want quicker.
Old 02-29-08, 12:30 PM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that is some great reviews!!!! u the man!!
Old 02-29-08, 12:54 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OUTSTANDING and VERY informative!!! Great job!!!!
Old 03-15-08, 10:53 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

i didnt see the greddy exhaust on there
Old 03-16-08, 08:39 PM
netsushi
Driver School Candidate

my ADD is so bad I'm amazed I read every word of your post. It was that good and informative. Really appreciate it.
Old 11-15-08, 02:55 AM
Emarati_K
Lead Lap

Okay man soon I'll give you 100% info of the Blitz Exhaust fitments and more...

I just placed the order few days ago and once it comes and installed. You will get pics of installation, fitments, videos and more.

I know Axle back won't do much and it's not recommended by many users in hear. I just wanna try it out and it's my own risk. Plus, you guys need help about this exhaust, so why not just give it a try and share the info with you

count on me guys
Old 02-13-09, 08:32 AM
g_abac
Pole Position

^_^

As I had installed the Fujitsubo Exhaust Legalis Elegant with my IS250 RWD 2008, it was only Axle-Back. Not the Cat-Back as you expected or mention in Tein USA. They come with muffler and Y-pipe.

I live in Bangkok, Thailand. My car IS250 RWD is using Fujitsubo Exhaust. The price that I got from my friend's garage was 62,000 Baht (Around $1,800). This price is including with installed.

I like their product whick provide very deep sound for my car. But when I got F-Sport Intake, I feel like little sound of Fujitsubo exhaust when driving over 3,500 RPM because the F-Sport Intake sound was louder than exhaust.

Overall, IMO this product is suitable for the once who do not need too much sound from exhaust but just want about a very deep sound as sport car and good looking of their full polish stainless steel. The most I like is the deep sound was coming at lower RPM. So, no need to wait for sound. Just start engine and move your car, you already hear the nice sound. I never test my car with dyno, but on their website, they claim around 5Hp (At Wheels for IS250RWD).

They have only model for Lexus IS250/350 which call Fujitsubo Legalis Elegant.

The installation is very easy. My friend and his worker install it in 30 minutes without any special tools. This product just "drop in" with the OEM Exhaust.

* I saw the adverstise claim that " Fujitsubo is the best selling exhaust in Japan. " *

Some detail of Fujitsubo Exhaust ;

50km/h→90km/h 2 Sec. (STD 2.1 Sec.)

157.5kw(214.2ps)/5810rpm (STD 154.2kw(209.7ps)/5800rpm)
266.6N・m(27.2kg・m)/5520rpm (STD 264.6N・m
(27.0kg・m)/5350rpm)
Weight 14.1kg (STD 18.2kg)
Attached Images  

Last edited by g_abac; 03-28-09 at 11:32 AM.
Old 05-22-09, 07:39 AM
EyeEss
Driver

What about information on headers and mid-pipes? I wanted to find out more about the Megan mid pipe from a sticky
Old 07-20-09, 02:24 PM
redis350f
Driver School Candidate

Wow that is a lot of info, I have the "F" Sport mufflers on my IS 350. I love the sound! However, not everyone enjoys them at 2100 rpm. ... I DO.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Official Exhaust thread (Members please help)