Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

VSC and VSC Off Lights - Limp Mode

Old 12-21-13, 06:40 PM
tuanb2013
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 2002 GS300 Engine Light on, VSC, VSC Lights OFF

Originally Posted by az-dave
Its also possible its the Accelrator Pedal Sensor on the back side of the Throttle Body (what the cable attaches to) - its also called the "Lever Assembly".

There have been about 50/50 people being one or the other.

Just fyi so if the motor doesnt fix it, its almost certainly that sensor.

AZ-Dave, Again today my car was "stuttering" and engine was not running smooth like before, it was shaking when I stopped. This happens after i've been driving for about 10mins. Now it also put out a little white smoke. Today I took my car into PEP Boys and they said I might need to replace the "Valve Timing Control Assembly" code 9327403, and the labor for that is $474.60. So...Do you think its the Throttle Control Motor/Accelerator Pedal Sensor, or what PEP Boys said "Valve Timing Control Assembly?" Please help I'm confused ! I'm going to have another mechanic look it it. Thanks.

Tuanb2013
Old 12-21-13, 07:28 PM
tuanb2013
Driver School Candidate

AZ-Dave,
The Acceleration Pedal Sensor-AKA Lever Assembly is that the same as Throttle Position Sensor (TPS)?

Thanks!
tuanb2013
Old 12-22-13, 05:46 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by tuanb2013
AZ-Dave,
The Acceleration Pedal Sensor-AKA Lever Assembly is that the same as Throttle Position Sensor (TPS)?

Thanks!
tuanb2013
No. The TPS sits on the front of the TB to the right of the Throttle control motor. The APPS sits in the back where the throttle cable connects to it.
Old 12-23-13, 07:43 PM
duster
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Update as Promised

I am told that Lexus corporate approved the repair at their cost under this specific program. Car will be repaired and throttle body cleaned. ClubLexus saved me again! Thanks everyone.
Old 12-30-13, 11:16 AM
CrooperJ
Driver School Candidate

The information for the customer support program can be found here:

http://www.toyotaelsettlement.com/Home/FAQ#8d
Old 12-30-13, 02:34 PM
tuanb2013
Driver School Candidate

Took my GS300 into PEP BOYS because of Engine Light On, VSC and VSC Light Off on. The Code I got from Pep Boys is: P1346 VVT Sensor Circuit Range fault / Performance Bank1, and P1349 VVT System Fault Bank1.

Pep Boys recommend that I "Remove & Replace Valve Timing Control Assembly" which will cost me $474.60 just for labor. I don't know if Pep Boys is correct? My GS300 has the same problems as AZ-Dave described on his 98 GS300. [ Should I just buy the Idle Air Control Motor aka- Idle Control Valve, and replace that part? ] You think that would fix the problem? Looking forward to your answers....

tuanb2013
Old 01-04-14, 12:05 AM
zman32
Driver School Candidate

I'm Currently experiencing this with my GS300 so I took it to a local mechanic. After a bit of poking around, it seems his test lighter lights up at the Acc pedal sensor plug (behind the throttle body), however theres no signal on the plug for the Electrical motor.

Does this mean the Acceleration Pedal Sensor-AKA Lever Assembly is faulty?
Old 01-06-14, 08:54 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Do this first: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...filter-13.html

Replace the OCV Valve, it requires virtually no work, super easy, 1 bolt, dont have to take engine apart.

What Pep Boys is suggesting is the VVTi System, which is actually the VVTi Cam Pully, and requires a timing belt change.

Most likely NOT the problem...that Cam is virtually impossible to break, and if not leaking oil out of the pulley, then its most like the OCV Valve. Also check the OCV filter to make sure its not gunked up...if it is, it will cause all those codes. Filter super easy to check, look at post #1-10 of that same thread.

hopefully it works and saves you $400 :-)

Originally Posted by tuanb2013
Took my GS300 into PEP BOYS because of Engine Light On, VSC and VSC Light Off on. The Code I got from Pep Boys is: P1346 VVT Sensor Circuit Range fault / Performance Bank1, and P1349 VVT System Fault Bank1.

Pep Boys recommend that I "Remove & Replace Valve Timing Control Assembly" which will cost me $474.60 just for labor. I don't know if Pep Boys is correct? My GS300 has the same problems as AZ-Dave described on his 98 GS300. [ Should I just buy the Idle Air Control Motor aka- Idle Control Valve, and replace that part? ] You think that would fix the problem? Looking forward to your answers....

tuanb2013
Old 01-06-14, 08:59 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

All of the signals are PWM (Pulse-Width-Modulated), so you cant just test with a light or a normal volt meter. YOu have to test Duty Cycle with engine running.

That being said, only a handful of people know how to properly take readings on the sensors...and the engine must be running and the sensor plugged in...so makes taking reading even harder.

You have a 50-50 chance of it being either the Accel Pedal sensor AKA Lever Assembly, or the Controller Motor.

Probably more like the Sensor not the controller motor. and Almost certainly not the TPS sensor, which is the ONLY thing the "experts" at a lexus dealership can or will test...anything else and they want to replace the ENTIRE throttle body...experts...lol

Hope that helps.

Originally Posted by zman32
I'm Currently experiencing this with my GS300 so I took it to a local mechanic. After a bit of poking around, it seems his test lighter lights up at the Acc pedal sensor plug (behind the throttle body), however theres no signal on the plug for the Electrical motor.

Does this mean the Acceleration Pedal Sensor-AKA Lever Assembly is faulty?
Old 01-07-14, 02:55 AM
zman32
Driver School Candidate

tried this on the APPS but to no avail http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...6/#entry465953
so now I'm gonna hunt around for a used APPS.
I Discovered the Supras, crowns, chasers and soarers (98-2000, VVTi, non-turbos) use the same APPS.
http://www.toyo diy.com/parts/xref?s...on&mJ=on&mG=on

Hopefully I can find it cheaper than what Australian dealers are asking - USD$650 for the APPS

edit: I just remembered something, the local mechanic removed the TPS from my TB but reinstalled it again. Does this mean I need to readjust the TPS?

Last edited by zman32; 01-07-14 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-07-14, 03:41 PM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Holy crap thats expensive. Im sure the Supra ones will work, same TB and engine, as long as its pre 2001. After than things started changing.

Many of the people on the forum got them online, not from dealers...maybe worth checking?

tried this on the APPS but to no avail http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...6/#entry465953
so now I'm gonna hunt around for a used APPS.
I Discovered the Supras, crowns, chasers and soarers (98-2000, VVTi, non-turbos) use the same APPS.
http://www.toyo diy.com/parts/xref?s...on&mJ=on&mG=on

Hopefully I can find it cheaper than what Australian dealers are asking - USD$650 for the APPS
Old 01-07-14, 04:20 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by CrooperJ
The information for the customer support program can be found here:

http://www.toyotaelsettlement.com/Home/FAQ#8d
Wonder if I can get reimbursed for the Throttle control motor and the APPS that I have purchased seperately over the past few years? I put them on myself so no labor costs involved.I was damn near killed when I pulled out into traffic and the car would not accelerate.
Old 01-08-14, 01:41 AM
zman32
Driver School Candidate

Cool

Originally Posted by az-dave
Holy crap thats expensive. Im sure the Supra ones will work, same TB and engine, as long as its pre 2001. After than things started changing.

Many of the people on the forum got them online, not from dealers...maybe worth checking?
Picked up a Supra TB for USD$140! All 3 supporting parts on the TB are the same as the GS300.
So up until this point my engine check and VSC light comes on as soon as I start the car , even after i've resetted the ECU.

First part I replaced was the APPS from the Supra. Cleaned throttle body. Reset ECU. Does not work.
I then swapped in the Supra's TCM. Reset ECU. Still does not work.
Then swapped the TPS. Reset ECU. Still does NOT work. Throttle is still f'd!
And now the engine is idling at 1700 rpm, even after limping around the block for 10 minutes.

So I then decided to plug in the original Lexus TCM and placed it in view of the drivers seat just to see if the motor works when I start the engine. It does spin, so I decided to swap it back into the Throttle body.

At this point theres only the Supra's APPS attached. All other parts are the original Lexus ones.
And now when I actually start the engine, the engine check and VSC lights do NOT come on until I step on the accelerator (The engine responds normally for a fraction of a second and up to 2000rpms before reverting back to a dead throttle with the VSC and engine check lights lighting up)

I'm at a loss as to what it could be.
Could it be the wiring? ECU?
Keep in mind the my mechanic's scanner only brought up the code (p1120 or 1121) something about the throttle sensors. Cant remember which one.

edit: adjusted TPS to read 0.7V, restarted the ECU which brought idle down to 1000 rpm but returns to 1700rpm when engine warms up.

Last edited by zman32; 01-08-14 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-08-14, 10:35 PM
4doorscore
Driver School Candidate

Picked up a Supra TB for USD$140! All 3 supporting parts on the TB are the same as the GS300.
So up until this point my engine check and VSC light comes on as soon as I start the car , even after i've resetted the ECU.

First part I replaced was the APPS from the Supra. Cleaned throttle body. Reset ECU. Does not work.
I then swapped in the Supra's TCM. Reset ECU. Still does not work.
Then swapped the TPS. Reset ECU. Still does NOT work. Throttle is still f'd!
And now the engine is idling at 1700 rpm, even after limping around the block for 10 minutes.

So I then decided to plug in the original Lexus TCM and placed it in view of the drivers seat just to see if the motor works when I start the engine. It does spin, so I decided to swap it back into the Throttle body.

At this point theres only the Supra's APPS attached. All other parts are the original Lexus ones.
And now when I actually start the engine, the engine check and VSC lights do NOT come on until I step on the accelerator (The engine responds normally for a fraction of a second and up to 2000rpms before reverting back to a dead throttle with the VSC and engine check lights lighting up)

I'm at a loss as to what it could be.
Could it be the wiring? ECU?
Keep in mind the my mechanic's scanner only brought up the code (p1120 or 1121) something about the throttle sensors. Cant remember which one.

edit: adjusted TPS to read 0.7V, restarted the ECU which brought idle down to 1000 rpm but returns to 1700rpm when engine warms up.
From what I heard today, if you have replaced all sensors and the throttle control motor and the problem isn't solved the culprit will be your ecu sir.
Old 01-08-14, 10:37 PM
4doorscore
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys it's a pretty random question but I'm sure some of you guys have gone through this. I need to replace the 3 screws that screw the throttle control motor in because mine are pretty stripped. Anyone know where to find these or the specs (length, thread pitch).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: VSC and VSC Off Lights - Limp Mode