Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

VSC and VSC Off Lights - Limp Mode

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-11, 08:14 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Removing and Cleaning the OCV Valve is a 30-minute process requiring an alen wrench to take the dust cover off of the front/top of the timing housing, and a large 21mm(?) socket to remove the oil line going into the VVTi Cam houing on the top front drivers side of the valve cover.

The OCV filter is way inside there but come out easily. Its made of Aliminum housing and SS mesh.

Also check the OCV Valve itself...it also removes extremely easy with a single 10mm bolt on top/front of the VVTi cam cover.

Originally Posted by 45cal1911
Just for clarity I'm having the same symptoms as Tuanville.

Had the codes pulled:

P1349 & P1346

1349 Seems to reference the Oil Control Valve

Can anyone help me troubleshoot this problem? If the OCV has to be replaced it will require stripping the engine down to the head, correct?

Thx

Update:

Replaced the OCV filter and disconnected battery to reset ECU. All is now well.

I apologize for posting in this thread as there are numerous threads covering this well know issue.

Thx
Old 02-09-11, 08:16 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Buy a used throttle body. Thats what I did, I stripped of the motor and used my orig TB. That was after I replaced the TPS on the old TB and of course...as any Non-Lexus Dealer mechanic knows...the TPS is rarely if ever the actual problem.

Sorry late reply.

Originally Posted by Willgs300
Az- Dave, I had the same codes as you and problems(lights n limp mode) Everything exactly. I ran a ohm test on tps, throtle motor and the assembly lever. All was okay cept the throttle motor. Spent 340 on the part and replaced it. Still nothing same problem. Did u do anything else other then just replacin the motor? For ever1 havin this problem save money and buy a used whole throttle body with tps, throttle motor and assembly lever becuase it seems like it could b any1 of them. I wish I would of done that. ****!!!!
Old 05-24-11, 02:28 PM
jonnyful
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This will fix it . i have read many posts and most have answer now

here is what the dealership said.
Pulled engine codes (P1120 Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor) Performed Lexus diagnosis procedure. Found when warm, accelerator sensor goes open. Suggest to replace Lever Assy, Throttle Part Number 22060-46010. $336.76.

I just ordered it and its coming tomorrow. Hope its easy to install. I was looking for a (how too) on line. but couldn't find one. if anyone has instructions can you post it please. otherwise ill give it a shot tomorrow...
Ill update tomorrow. thanks for the help again
Old 05-26-11, 10:41 AM
jonnyful
Driver School Candidate

thanks. i got it fixed. When the throttle lever assy came in yesterday, it looked real easy to put in. attached by for screws and a wire. took about 45 mins to switch it but when the new part was on, i started her up and ooooooooo ya,,,,,, she ran great. all of the error codes went,limp mode was gone and after a test drive , i found no problems. thanks to everyone who helped me figure this out. and thanks luxor for the call.
Old 05-27-11, 11:49 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Glad you got her all fixed up. $~350 is kinda expensive, but if it solved the problem thats what matters.

Im now dealing with a "Bank 1 Lean" error...oh well, what can I expect for over 250K miles.
Old 05-28-11, 12:08 AM
jonnyful
Driver School Candidate

ya it was expensive. i know its because i got it from Lexus dealership. I just wanted to make sure it was the right one and the cool thing was that they shipped it to me in a day for free!!!!! so I guess it wasnt that bad. thanks again
Old 08-15-11, 06:37 AM
-Future-
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ahhhh!!

Was driving along today in my 2000 Lexus GS 300, CEL and VSC lights pop on - then limp mode. Some sputtering, but after a couple miles seemed to drive better, lights still on of course. First thing I did was search club lexus. Next step will be pulling codes on my lunch at AutoZone. I will be back to share those codes and hopefully narrow this down quickly without spending too much $$$. It's always something.................
Old 08-15-11, 07:22 AM
SPRTNYDSN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just happened to me yesterday. Check engine light is blinking and the VSC light is on. I couldn't drive pass 40mph and at the light it's shaking like a stripper. I'm dropping it off to my Lexus mechanic tonight. This is great, first the hail storm and now this. It's always something.................
Old 08-15-11, 01:40 PM
-Future-
Pole Position

Well I'm back, just had my codes ran at my local AutoZone. Now I'm really confused. I pulled none of the codes mentioned here. Mine were P0300, P0301, P0303 and P0305 (all cylinder misfires) I'm going to search these codes in the forums, but would they cause the limp mode effect?

Thanks.....
Old 08-15-11, 02:45 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Sounds like u got a compression problem. Check the OCV see if its clogged
Old 08-16-11, 07:23 AM
SPRTNYDSN
Lexus Test Driver

My Lexus mechanic told me it might be cylinder 1 is misfiring, might be coil or something to that nature. He's taking my car to dealership to work on it.
Old 08-16-11, 09:51 PM
SPRTNYDSN
Lexus Test Driver

the spark plugs was flooded, it cause the misfiring. car is running back to normal.
Old 08-17-11, 08:54 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Spark plug flooded in a lexus ??? Did he say how/why?

Its very difficult to flood a lexus fuel-injected engine unless something else is not working properly....

did he give you any better info?

Originally Posted by SPRTNYDSN
the spark plugs was flooded, it cause the misfiring. car is running back to normal.
Old 08-17-11, 09:09 AM
SPRTNYDSN
Lexus Test Driver

He noticed water inside. Sunday I was driving on bad rain day. Drivers splashing baby pool of water on both sides of the streets on each other.When I got splashed twice, the rough idling happened. I'll text my mechanic to get a full detail explanation.

Update: He says water in spark plugs, cracked porcelain on the plug.

Last edited by SPRTNYDSN; 08-17-11 at 09:32 AM. Reason: no info
Old 08-19-11, 06:31 PM
-Future-
Pole Position

The water issue may make sense. My initial limp mode came after my car was sitting in two heavy days of crazy rain here in NJ. Very excessive flooding. First time driving after the rain, I experienced limp mode. Had my codes ran and misfiring came up, I was frustrated so I unhooked my battery and opened up the valve cover and some other parts to take a peek. Didn't see anything...but I've been driving about 150 miles and the CEL has not popped back up and the car is running normal (cross fingers)....The codes should have reappeared by now if there was something wrong, right??

Quick Reply: VSC and VSC Off Lights - Limp Mode