Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

VSC and VSC Off Lights - Limp Mode

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-10, 11:58 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You should be good on it. I bought my used TB from Greenleaf online. Where did you get yours from?

This is a Good option for all you other people with this problem - if you can indeed get the entire used TB - get it! before they are gone :-) hehe

6-pack of beer sound fair to me :-)

Originally Posted by kosi718
well like ive mentioned before my mechanic is a master tech that opened his own shop. he said that hes run into the problem many times. So I trust his judgement on this one.

Ive brought so many customers to him and built a great relationship with him so all he wanted was a 6 pack of beer for tbe labor.
I paid about 300 for the throttle body w/ sensors and motor.
so thats all that really came out my pockets.

Im just keeping my fingers crossed hoping that this totally s
olved the problem. the car is running great right about now and is idling a bit smoother.
Old 03-12-10, 07:55 PM
KingNasGS4
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

kh engines was the name of the seller.
the other throttle body I found was $499 plus shipping. im glad to have dound the one I did
Old 03-20-10, 03:16 PM
LexFather

I have never had this issue. Cleaned the MAF and Throttle Body today. Damn VSC and VSC off button pops up. The radio and clock don't come on (I did reset with the 20 ECU).

The odd thing is the car is very responsive now, much better than before. It is not in limp mode. So I'm confused.

I had the check engine light on before and I know the issue, its the cats. I have already replaced my 02 sensor, the long one as it failed last year.

I swear I see why people just get new cars

Last edited by LexFather; 03-20-10 at 03:40 PM.
Old 05-03-10, 12:25 AM
ib_jimmy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My GS300 is 220K miles. VSC, VSC OFF, and Check Engine lights came on a few month ago, but didnt feel any thing different at all. It finally went into "Limp Mode" just yesterday. I took the TPS and TCM out and kinda mess/clean it for a bit, install it and the car seem fine. after 3 miles, back to limping on the road. Been doing some research and leaning towards the motor but found some info from the My.IS forum on testing the ohm of the 2 parts and now i'm thinking my problem might be the sensor and not the expensive motor. I hope that's the case. Wish me luck.
Old 05-03-10, 04:32 AM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I checked the service history of my 99 GS300 and presumably it has had the same problem.

First the TPS has been replaced, then the motor and after that the lever assembly (different invoices for each part & labor). So I guess even here in Europe they were not able to diagnose the problem correctly. I think the lever assembly was the solution of the previous owner's problem.
Old 05-05-10, 11:01 PM
ib_jimmy
Driver

Ok so i bought a brand new TPS and installed it. Everything seem to work fine. Thought I got the problem fix but after about 2 miles of driving it went back into limp mode. I was lucky enough to find a full throttle body off of a 01 IS300 with both lever and position sensors and control motor for $150 from a wrecking yard here. Took the motor and position senor from that and put it on mine, adjust the sensor and now everything is driving perfectly for the past 2 days now.

So I got a TPS, pretty much brand new (installed for about 20min only) for sale if anybody need it. $60 shipped.
Old 05-06-10, 07:22 AM
Hamakimon
Driver School Candidate

I am having the exact same problem with the lights, but I am not having any acceleration problems. Can I expect to have these problems in the future?
Old 05-19-10, 06:21 PM
viapol
Driver School Candidate

yep. expect it. my 99 300 threw a code p1121 and p1349..narrowed the 1349 down to a OIL CONTROL VALVE. put on part 15330-46010...code 1349 gone...ran goodfor a few minutes then went back into limp mode with code 1121 only now. Purchased a "lever control assembly 22060-46010. Putting that on tomorrow. Although I am confident this will fix the issue I will post a reply as to whether or not it did. Symptoms: Erattic idle,jerking at low RPM, stalling, no/poor pedal response when pushing accelerator pedal down. Seemed to run fine once on freeway at 2800 RPM, but in town it SUCKED to say the least. Seems like the Throttle Control Assembly seems to only last about 10-12 years??????Keep ya posted. The part 22060-46010 was 327.00 from Lexus. Probably got ripped but, I just want my car back. Im driving a Hyandai Accent as a loner??!!!NOT COOL
Old 05-21-10, 01:44 PM
viapol
Driver School Candidate

Update. Throttle lever assembly on...300 miles runs great again.No CELs or issues now.
Old 06-01-10, 12:03 PM
streetz
Driver School Candidate

I am glad I found this thread. I an having the same issue, no throttle response till the last 25%. When i disc the battery, connect and restart the car the throttle responds for a few seconds then dies again. With ignition on, I can sometimes hear the motor running or trying to run, i move the throttle a little bit and motor has like a little spasm dosnt engage 100%, eventually it just turns off.

I took out the cover by the motor, removing the TPS as well, tried to turn the throttle (pulling on cable) that is supposed to turn the TPS, but the lever did not move, Only one time but it was inconstant, I also noticed that the motor is not receiving power, I saw 12v once but instantly went away.

Does anyone know which pin out of the 4 is power and ground for the motor? I would like to manually apply voltage to see if it turns. I have a feeling its the sensor on the cable's side and not the motor, I could be wrong though.
Old 06-06-10, 09:45 AM
streetz
Driver School Candidate

So I bought an entire throttle body assembly from ebay, including motor, tps, everything. When I look in it, the throttle plate is about 25% open, thinking positively I assumed that once the motor got power, it closes the plate. But nope, once I cranked the car it reved like no tomorrow, is this something that anyone has come across or should I just get a refund?

Anyone please, dont use my post count to judge me. I consider myself far beyond being a newb, just not 100% familiar with Lexus parts.
Old 07-05-10, 01:53 AM
edwagon
Driver School Candidate

My 99 gs300 has gone into limp mode a few times recently and codes 1120 and 1121 are coming up. Looks like my 'lever assembly' is faulty, and will replace it asap, but while troubleshooting it, I have caused another issue which I need help with....

I found the throttle body was filthy, so removed it and gave it a clean with ether- came up spotless, refitted it carefully and although it ran very nicely before, the car now runs even better - except the idle speed is now up around 1100rpm. I am sure there are no air leaks and have double checked and it is assembled correctly with nothing left off or disconnected- the tps doesn't look like its moved and is tight.

Has anyone else had their idle speed change dramatically after cleaning their tb? I'm sure I can bring idle speed down by adjusting the tps, but am wary about making adjustments which are potentially masking a different problem, and especially when either the tps, throttle motor or Lever assy are faulty anyway - it's like the blind leading the blind!

Anyone have input?
Old 07-16-10, 01:02 AM
lilsharky
Pole Position

when you change your level assy the mechanic will adjust it back to stock idle for you. my mechanic changed the idle with the snap on scanner.
Old 08-08-10, 07:42 PM
bigjussin
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

getting a tb for mine tomorrow...intermittent bucking issue, changed plugs yesterday, cleaned throttle plate, guessed i messed up the pedal position motor somehow...fingers crossed...what a pain, and i know my way around cars
Old 09-02-10, 04:36 PM
tom steele
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by az-dave
The Lexus OEM Part NUmber:89672-30020 = $293.54 from Lexus Dealer (Confirmed Arrowhead Lexus of Arizona, Aug 28, 2009)

Lexus name: "Throttle Control Motor" (Official part name)

Other part name aliases: "Idle AIR control motor" -or- "Idle AIR control valve motor"

Here are some Non-Lexus OEM Part Numbers:
AIRTEX: 2H1145
STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS: AC555
WELLS: AC4194
do you know if this motor works for the gs400? looks the same...

Quick Reply: VSC and VSC Off Lights - Limp Mode