Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

VSC and VSC Off Lights - Limp Mode

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-10, 05:10 PM
BklynJay
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ask and you shall receive!

Originally Posted by az-dave
Look at my last post...if your car is in LIMP mode, where the engine ONLY responds when you Literally Floor the Gas pedal, then its NOT the MAF...Its most likely the Elec Motor in my previous post.

What is this "Lever Assembly" people are mentioning? Where is it? I have a throttle Cable going from my gas pedal to the back of the Throttle Body...are your cars 100% Drive by Wire? (no throttle Cable)?
My boy works in Lexus and got it for me today. I will install it hopefully tonight or tomorrow. Four screws hold it 8mm. This is that infamous Levery Assy, Throttle Part Number 22060-46010. This is where the cable is connected to.

Last edited by BklynJay; 02-16-10 at 05:14 PM.
Old 02-16-10, 09:49 PM
JDMCelsior
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good!! let us know the outcome man.
Old 02-16-10, 09:59 PM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Ok...I see what your talking about...this assembly also has the Accelerator Pedal Sensor.

The sensor in this assembly send the signal to the ECU on how far you pressing on the gas pedal. Then the ECU send an electric signal to the Throttle Valve Motor, as that motor turns the gear opens the butterfly valve, as the butterfly valve opens it turns the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor).

Please let us know if this solves your problem.

My problem took 3 months to finally manifest to where it was happening repeatedly...for the first 2 months it was extremely random, and simply turning the ignition off reset it.

Thanks for the Pic and Info..hopefully my response helps too.

Originally Posted by BklynJay
My boy works in Lexus and got it for me today. I will install it hopefully tonight or tomorrow. Four screws hold it 8mm. This is that infamous Levery Assy, Throttle Part Number 22060-46010. This is where the cable is connected to.

Old 02-16-10, 10:01 PM
az-dave
Lead Lap

I drove for almost 3 weeks on my new TPS, then problem came back. Please keep us updated.

It appears the exact same codes and symptoms can be caused by any/all 3 of the electronic sensors on the throttle. And the DEALERS dont know how to diagnose the actual CAUSE of the problem...

Other than this problem, the GS is a solid vehicle.

Originally Posted by krazyl3gz
Been driving about a week since the TPS was swapped out. No issues so far.
Old 02-19-10, 04:11 AM
JDMCelsior
Lead Lap

OK, so I took my GS for a scan and found that the problem is my cat converter and none of the above... CAT=$$$$$$$$ Headers=cost effective LOL
Old 02-19-10, 09:13 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

So...Your saying that your car goes into a "Limp Mode", where you can press the gass pedal, and the engine doesnt rev at all, until you literally Floor the Pedal all the way to the floor, and then it just barely revs the engine?

Please confirm if that was your Symptom or if you were experiencing something else?

DONT GET Those Cats replaced YET!!! My Car has 243,000 miles on it with Factory Cats and they are GOOD....

Originally Posted by JDMCelsior
OK, so I took my GS for a scan and found that the problem is my cat converter and none of the above... CAT=$$$$$$$$ Headers=cost effective LOL
Old 02-19-10, 02:00 PM
JDMCelsior
Lead Lap

^^no, I did not experience what the rest of the people on this thread experience...the engine light came on and so did the VSC and VSC off light, all within one second of each other. The car kept driving fine. I parked it for 3 days and it wasn't until today that I used it again to have the dealership take a look at it.

I'm actually going to check the O2 sensors, actually, since I'm going to the US next week, I'm just going to buy it. I agree with you on not buying the cat just yet...my car just hit 82K today.
Old 02-20-10, 09:35 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

The O2 Sensors will not cause the VSC to go on, neither will the Cat converter. Did your ABS light also come on?

This sounds like a completely different problem. The VSC computer is driven by the Anti-Lock brake system as well as sensors on all 4 wheels, and the transmission...all VSC does is check to see if wheels are spinning or locked compared to the vehicle speed. If they are, then the VSC CUTS power to the throttle body so the engine cant keep reving.

When VSC OFF light is on, it means that the VSC system CANNOT cut power to the throttle body, therefore even if your spinning out, the throttle will let the engine rev. Just some info on the way the lexus/toyota system works.

You might want to start a new thread since this may be unrelated to the Limp Mode in the thread. Thanks.

Originally Posted by JDMCelsior
^^no, I did not experience what the rest of the people on this thread experience...the engine light came on and so did the VSC and VSC off light, all within one second of each other. The car kept driving fine. I parked it for 3 days and it wasn't until today that I used it again to have the dealership take a look at it.

I'm actually going to check the O2 sensors, actually, since I'm going to the US next week, I'm just going to buy it. I agree with you on not buying the cat just yet...my car just hit 82K today.

Last edited by az-dave; 02-22-10 at 10:14 PM.
Old 02-20-10, 02:13 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Ah this happened to me today. Car went into limp mode.

Few hours later, came back and restarted the car and no lights were on.

I'm somewhat worried if the car will go into limp mode while I'm away from home.
Old 02-21-10, 06:06 PM
BklynJay
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Update on installation...

Ok guys. I installed it yesterday morning and so far so good. In the past two months I have changed my TPS and MAF like I said before which did not help. When I did install the TPS or MAF it would be fixed between 3 miles to 40 miles then LIMP MODE.

As of right now it's been two days and I have driven 100 miles with no issues. I should have done this the first time since it was the code that popped up. Hope this helps!
Old 02-22-10, 10:10 PM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Awesome...hope your all fixed now.

Its a frustrating thing because you would think Lex Dealers would be SOMEWHAT informed on the actual design of the T.B. and sensors.

I took mine to 3 dealers and all three suggested of course the TPS - WHICH ALMOST NEVER is the cause...And of course they all said "But we would rather install a new Throttle Body"...Yeah, $1500 - NOT

I get pissed when rather than helping customer of a high-end luxury car, they instead dig for yet more money...Lexus Corporate should take a little heed.

Thats what were here on the forum! Thanks for the Pic & Part number.

Originally Posted by BklynJay
Ok guys. I installed it yesterday morning and so far so good. In the past two months I have changed my TPS and MAF like I said before which did not help. When I did install the TPS or MAF it would be fixed between 3 miles to 40 miles then LIMP MODE.

As of right now it's been two days and I have driven 100 miles with no issues. I should have done this the first time since it was the code that popped up. Hope this helps!
Old 02-22-10, 10:17 PM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Well...youve come across the Right thread my friend.

The first page in this thread has some detailed info/part numbers/pics from me, as does page 3. This page has a new part - the lever assembly which contains the actual Accelerator Pedal Sensor.

Get your Codes pulled, and fix it yourself...Lexus will want to replace the TPS first, then they will suggest a whole new Throttle Body...beware paying too much for a relatively simply fix, 99% of the Throttle body is a Non-Wearing part which literally could last several million miles of driving...the sensors and electric motor are bolt-on parts.

Originally Posted by 1UZ-GS
Ah this happened to me today. Car went into limp mode.

Few hours later, came back and restarted the car and no lights were on.

I'm somewhat worried if the car will go into limp mode while I'm away from home.
Old 02-23-10, 04:37 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by az-dave
Well...youve come across the Right thread my friend.

The first page in this thread has some detailed info/part numbers/pics from me, as does page 3. This page has a new part - the lever assembly which contains the actual Accelerator Pedal Sensor.

Get your Codes pulled, and fix it yourself...Lexus will want to replace the TPS first, then they will suggest a whole new Throttle Body...beware paying too much for a relatively simply fix, 99% of the Throttle body is a Non-Wearing part which literally could last several million miles of driving...the sensors and electric motor are bolt-on parts.
Weird thing is, it hasn't happened since. Maybe it screwed up because I put on the cruise control after the car had been running for maybe 2 minutes. I think everything is fine now, but I'll let you guys know if it happens again.
Old 02-25-10, 09:56 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I had a 1998 GS400 that went into "limp mode". The car was 4 years old with about 58,000 miles on it. I was at a stop sign on a hill and when i went to pull out, the car would barely accelerate. The warning lights popped on and i found myself in the middle of on-coming cars. I floored the gas pedal only to accelerate slowly. This seems to be the opposite of the "sudden acceleration" debacle Toyota is facing now.

I took the car to Lexus, where they replaced the Throttle Body Assbly, i believe. I think the part and install cost around $400 at Lexus.

This was a very scary thing! I was almost t-boned as a result of this electronic failure. I forgot all about this problem until i listed to the C-SPAN Toyota hearings last nite. Drive by wire is catastrophic when it fails!!!
Old 02-25-10, 04:32 PM
KingNasGS4
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

MY car went into limp mode today, it happened while driving through all the snow this morning, I was so upset.

The car was in Manual Mode, but in 5, I left it in manual mode because of the possibility that I would need to use Engine Braking to stop in the snow.

I turned a corner and felt a violent shake in the tranny, looked at my cluster and saw the CEL
VSC and VSC off light all come on at once... to go to Reverse from drive and vice versa it shifts EXTREMELY hard.

Im worried about this, I searched and some people say that is the gas cap that's loose (I hope its that), then I'm seeing possibility of the throttle sensor, and throttle body...

Quick Reply: VSC and VSC Off Lights - Limp Mode